1/48 AC-130U - back on the road.

Try here. It's under "cargo aircraft".

Everything's looking good! I'd caution you on going whole hog on the interior though, it's a beast and a half even just working around the cargo ramp. So much is lacking as far as the interior is concerned with that kit, pretty much everything has to be done from scratch.

Yup! What Dez said.

I think I remember being told somewhere - another forum perhaps - that you would need to lengthen the Engine nacelles. Another thing I'm dreading because I have no idea how to do it, or how much to lengthen them by!

Curt and Dez -what do you think - should I just close the back up?

This project is pretty much on standby now until december - I'm off to University and don't think there will be enough time to do any meaningful work to this monster. I'll spend some time planning my next bits to do on it when I get home.

Ben

Don't make the decision to close it up until you can work on it all you want. Also remember to do what if fun and will make you proud. 99% of people will never set foot inside an AC-130U so having someone point out they the observers flare pickle switch is on the wrong side won't be an issue. Looking at that 40MM mount you started on, the guns will draw most of the attention any way! Remember that 2/3 of the cargo compartment is walled off and not visible from the rear.

As for the lengthened nacelles... To the trained eye...like mine....it is quite noticeable, but This previously linked build doesn't have extended nacelles. The modeler didn't even try to correct the mis-shaped intake and oil cooler inlet, and you know what? I don't care and I think that it's a jaw dropping model!

I'm looking forward on updates on how you are doing in school if I can't get updates on your Gunpig!

Curt

You will need to lengthen them about 1/4 of an inch. Dez did it the same way I did...draw a template either around where the wing mounts to the engine or use the back of the engine. Cut out I think 6 pieces per engine (depending on how thick the plastic is) cut the engine near the back and place the stack in between and glue it all back together. Sand it out...do a little scribing and your done. It's also on one of the pages in DEZ's MC-130 build. I think in there I had told him the dimension (length) of a real engine off the wing that I measured for him. :blink:

I think I remember being told somewhere - another forum perhaps - that you would need to lengthen the Engine nacelles. Another thing I'm dreading because I have no idea how to do it, or how much to lengthen them by!

Curt and Dez -what do you think - should I just close the back up?

This project is pretty much on standby now until december - I'm off to University and don't think there will be enough time to do any meaningful work to this monster. I'll spend some time planning my next bits to do on it when I get home.

Ben

Lengthening the nacelles is easy work, just tedious.

As for the interior, do what you want. The only reason I bowed out of it on my CT2 is because I burned out on doing the endless and hyper involved detailing for my CT1. Hell, I'm still not finished with the cargo bay by half! I had to walk away and try something more relaxing like a custom CV-22B and an MC-130H, if that tells you anything. :)

Oops - sorry about not updating you guys! I've just moved to University a week ago so Modelling has been the last of my priorities. I actually left the kit at home as I had no idea whether I would have the time or space to build it here. Happily, I think I do, so next time I go home (October 10th), I'll be bringing it back up with me.

Needless to say that there has been no progress since the last update - apart from gathering more reference pictures. I've also had a long hard think about whether I can be bothered to build the inside, and I think I will (can't airbrush at Uni, so would be pointless moving straight onto the outside).

If you are interested, the next item on the build list is still the 105mm cannon.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys!

I've been home from Uni this weekend and picked up my modelling stuff. So here are a few more shots of the Cannons as of last night:

Rear cannons:

IMG_7811.jpg

IMG_7809.jpg

In place with fuselage: It does fit very well, just difficult to hold it in position with one hand!

IMG_7816.jpg

25mm so far:

IMG_7814.jpg

Main computer console:

IMG_7818.jpg

And some "exposed" exterior detail I've done. Another first time thing for me.

IMG_7819.jpg

Needless to say, none of those bits are finished yet, hopefully in the next week or two. Lots of work to do on the 105 and 25mm cannons still.

Ben

Oh wow, cheers for those Curt! Glad to see my effort looks vaguely like the real thing!

I don't think I could cope with not being able to do any modelling here, it would drive me mad looking at the unfinished kit!

I did manage to almost finish the 105 last night, but I can't post anything until this evening, too much work! Haha.

Cheers

Ben

Cheers!

Small update for today. I've scalpeled off the little sensor things near the nose on each side of the fuselage (not sure how to describe them, a block on each side with three little flat squares on), and replaced them with my own. They little squares are supposed to be able to move and pivot, so I've added a block behind them to raise them off the backing block (what a rubbish description, pictures will do better!).

I've also been trying to fit a coaming to the Instrument Panel, as it does not have one in the kit (and it should!). Using one from a now-demolished 1/48 B-1B, which is much harder than it sounds. The damn thing won't fit, no matter how much I shape it!

I'll get some pics up shortly.

Ben

Okey dokey - photos.

I couldnt resist dry fitting it to see what the finished (almost, so close!) 105mm and 40mm looked like. (And yes, that is my entire desk space at Uni, effectively my whole room!):

IMG_7823.jpg

IMG_7824.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

And work today:

New sensor doodahs:

IMG_7829.jpg

Instrument Coambing:

The white strip is extra plastic I added when I realised the coambing would be too low.

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

More to come later in the week, I "might" even get some small amount of paint on!

Ben

I can smell it! I'll never forget that smell mixed with dip spit! Ewwwww! The gunners always thought it was a good idea to throw there dip in the urinal, and when it would clog they would still use it! So I guess I connect the cordite with mint chewing tobacco and stale urine! I also connect it with a feeling of how bad *** my plane was and sorting through all the brass to find that pristine piece!! Those shells would stink for weeks! I also remember finding a live 20MM round in the hell hole, but that's another story!

Curt