Certainly looks dirtier now. You might want to try some gentle downward streaks using thin brush moistened with thinner to create rain streaks perhaps? Just go light so not to damage paintwork.

Also, that stowage is going to need some rope holding it all in place :wub:

:wub:

MikeJ

Depending on how far you want to go with it and adding even more realism, try this:

Take a brown paint, whatever brand you use, something like a medium or light brown. Add some to a palette or cup and mix in baking soda. This will give the paint volume. You want it to be very pasty and thick.

Now, get some on a brush and use a finger method to splatter it on the back end up behind each track. You can also add some to the tracks, wheels etc.

Don't know if you want to go that far, but the result is really nice. I'll see if I can snap a quick pic and post it here of one I did a long time ago when I did some armor models....

Ok, don't laugh! This is what I did with the baking soda/paint method to simulate mud. You may want to keep your more "dusty" like you have it already, but here's an idea for future ones if you like. Yours is so sharp, you may not want to do this to that one.

This was my first (and last) attempt at weathering. I built this about 15 years ago when I was in HS

4088397495_5980a2b159_o.jpg

4089154874_2ce48f6f08_o.jpg

Stay right away from baking soda.

Info here.

:cheers:

MikeJ

Wow, that was a pretty good read there with everyone having problems. Can't say for sure, but I think I got that tip from a diarama book a long time ago.

Don't know, mine has been on for 15+ years and still looks like I did it yesterday. After reading that, I went and looked at it again. Could possible be the type of paint that was used for the mix? I most likely used testors or Testors Model master paints.

Does not matter, I've been done with models for a long time. It's the last thing I need now anyway... more hobbies! Will just look at all of your models :)

Howdy,

That's a pretty good Sherman you have going...

Having been a Cavalry Scout in the U.S. Army I spent a good amount of my time in the field surrounded by armor vehicles and I assure you that your tank is NOT too dirty. In fact I would go so far as to tell you it would be almost impossible to make a tank over weathered.

Consider for a moment the tanks environment. A tank does not travel over the land so much as it travels through it. Believe me I know, I have stepped in enough tank ruts in the dark in places like Hoensfeld Germany. If in a rainy environment, which it would be... "If it raining, we ain't training / If it ain't snowing, we ain't going", tanks make lots of 100% pure grade A mud... deep mud. It don't get any simpler than that. With that knowledge, remember the last time you were out somewhere and got all muddy? As soon as you can you scrape your shoes on every corner and/or edge you can find before you get back in your car. Well Soldiers are no different except that they scrape their boots on the vehicle! What is left on their boots is tracked on and in the vehicle.

You also need to consider how long has that tank been in the field? The longer it’s out there, the dirtier it gets. All too often I see model tanks in a combat setting and the tank will look just like it came off the wash rack. That looks strange to me. It looks as if the tank crew had been crashing through the hedgerows of France and all of a sudden saw a car wash and popped in to detail their tank. By the way, a tank travels on a dirt tank trail from the wash rack to the motor pool dripping water (making mud) all the way back. By the time it is back in the motor pool it looks dirty again.

If I was to do anything to your Sherman I would do like it was suggested above. Put some streaking on it and perhaps some scratches (going from front to rear). Do the latter with a pin or something just to put some marks in the paint. This would replicate the superficial scratches that are caused by smaller braches and the like. I would then add more of the mud colors on just the tracks, bogeys, and wheels. This mixture of mud would not be much thinned, in fact almost pure paint. I would also hit the lower portion of the hull with some just above the tracks, perhaps use an old toothbrush loaded with mud flicked next to the hull to show how mud splashed up on the tank too.

If going for caked up mud, I have never used baking soda, but I have had some excellent results using celluclay. It looks perfect for scale mud. Just mix it up with water and a little white glue.

OH! I almost forgot… as dirty as your tank is in these shots, does it not look a little peculiar that the stowed gear, rucksacks and so on, is… well… clean? Just a thought!

Your Sherman looks good. Keep it right, keep it dirty!

Oh my, this has gotten wordy… sorry ‘bout that.

Dave Shaw

Nice Sherman I like it!!!! The one thing I have liked from my one build is that there is no such thing as over doing weathering...... even when it is WIP you gotta keep that weathering going which is why I plan on building more. Seems that the crappier it looks the better it is.

• 2 weeks later...

"Atta boy, that's the spirit, they only get better with evey build!

Dang... I have not built a tank since I was a wee lad, for some reason you got me wanting to build such a creature. I only have Dragon's Panther in the stash though. I was thinking more of wanting to do a M4, M36, or M10. What to do-what to do?

Well keep us posted on the new one.

Dave Shaw