What would be an appropriate load out for a VF-143 Tomcat in DS? Anyone have any idea's. I would like to do an OOB Hasegawa kitty with the Aeromaster sheet number 48-532. I would like to get a couple of Tomcats done prior to the addition of the Bomcat era. Thanks in advance for your help.

VF-143 and VF-142 was NOT in DS, they left the OA (operating area) on the 22nd of Aug 90.

They where relieved on station by VF-103 and VF-74.

VF-142 and VF-143 was at NAS Oceana during the entire Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

V/R

Reddog :P

I'm positive. I was in VF-103 and helped do the turn over with the IKE on the 22nd of Aug 1990.

That photo could have been taken anytime after Desert Storm, the US maintained a presence there through out the 90's.

During Desert Shield we did not over fly Kuwait or Iraq, only Saudi Arabia so I don't think that photo was from Desert Shield.

I could be from the IKE's cruise right after Desert Shield, while they where still trying to get the oil fires under control and capped.

Bottom line, VF-143 and VF-142 where not in Desert Storm and was only in theater until the 22nd of Aug 90. They turned over with the Saratoga and then ran for home.

Reddog :salute:

EDIT: BTW, I was in VF-143 from 96 to 00 and know the squadrons history.

Edited by Reddog
They wheren't gull grey, they where done up in the TPS scheme. No Bravo's at that time where done in the overall gull grey scheme.

Reddog :bandhead2:

That's what I figured. It must be really faded Ghost Grays with a fresh coat of Medium Gray to that much of a difference in the colors.

I badly want a set of 1/72nd scale decals for a VF-143 Tomcat from the 1990 cruise on the Ike. It was the first deployment of the F-14B, and I think it was the only time the F-14B was operational during the cold war. Things had gotten hot with Libya and Iran not too long before then as well, and Desert Shield was on. And I love the Dogs!

That would be Desert shield. The lead up to desert storm. Still armed flying around but not dropping bombs.

I don't think any F-14 dropped bombs during round 1 in the Gulf. AFAIK the first time Tomcats punded ground in anger was during the mid-90s over Bosnia.

I badly want a set of 1/72nd scale decals for a VF-143 Tomcat from the 1990 cruise on the Ike. It was the first deployment of the F-14B, and I think it was the only time the F-14B was operational during the cold war. Things had gotten hot with Libya and Iran not too long before then as well, and Desert Shield was on. And I love the Dogs!

From the top of my head, Hasegawa's standard 1/72nd "F-14A Plus", as the F-14B was known at the time, had markings for VF-143 (and VF-74).

Considering the time frame this boxing came out, it might very well be these specific markings.

HTH,

Andre

QUOTE (Rocky @ Nov 17 2009, 12:27 AM)

Out of my head the following 2 1/72 kits also offer decal options of the Pukin Dogs aboad IKE around that timeframe:

- RoG "F-14A plus" kit (with VF-211): nice and thin decals, somewhat too light grey

- Fujimi "Chekmates" kit (with VF-211 and VF-24): old-style thick japanese standard