A-4B or A-4C Skyhawk?

This picture which was published in the March 1968 issue of the Naval Aviation Times has a caption where it is said that it´s a A-4C Skyhawk. The caption on Wikipedia (here the link is from) says it´s a A-4B Skyhawk.

So, which model is it?

The attachment of the launcher rail is different to what is included in the Haasegawa Skyhawk kits. Is this kind attachment available elsewhere?

Are there decals for this aircraft available?

Thanks,

Thomas

This is the caption to the picture on Wikipedia:

A Douglas A-4B Skyhawk from detachment R of attack squadron VA-22 Fighting Redcocks armed with an AIM-9B Sidewinder air-to-air missile, in 1963. The VA-22 Det. R was assigned to Anti-Submarine Carrier Air Group 53 (CVSG-53) for a deployment to the Western Pacific from 4 June to 3 December 1963 aboard the U.S. anti-submarine aircraft carrier USS Kearsarge (CVS-33).

Full link

The picture caption in the Navy Time states:

Deadly A-4C, loaded with missiles, flies on a CAP mission from a carrier. Each bomb painted on the air intake denotes a bombing mission over Vietnam. Although the Skyhawk is best known for its ordnance-carrying capabilities as a light attack bomber in CVA´s, it is also used as a defensive weapon and for close support of troops in the combat zone.

Thomas

Edited by Thomas
  • 2 weeks later...

there were decals in 1/72 scale of H&MS-15's A-4's from Microscale,,,,I don't know of any in 1/48 for for nose numbers 81 to 84 on that detachment

part of the confusion is that Wiki shows a "VMA-22" (really H&MS-15) bird and calls it a VA-22 bird in the caption,,,,,that Det R scheme for VA-22 on the Kearsarge was a totally different scheme,,,,,those had a Huge black and red gamecock on the fuselage, almost as tall as could fit on the intake sides, and NS tail codes with a large fin flash

if you could find the old MS sheet (#72-77), you could resize it for 1/48,,,,the black would be easy, and maybe resize the Redcock and use it as a frisket stencil,,,,,Fanny Hill is the only one of the four aircraft I've seen decals for

in those days, the N was used as Det letters on the Hornet, and the R was the Det letter for Kearsarge,,,,,,,,on the Hornet H&MS-15 ("VMA-22") A-4C's kept their YV tail codes,,,,,and on the Kearsarge the real VA-22 A-4B Det had the CVSG's NS code (VA-22 had A-4C's on their "regular" deployments, and the B for the Det deployment only)

that Det R scheme for VA-22 on the Kearsarge was a totally different scheme,,,,,those had a Huge black and red gamecock on the fuselage, almost as tall as could fit on the intake sides, and NS tail codes with a large fin flash

Like this.....

VA22DetRomeo_A4.jpg

Like this.....

VA22DetRomeo_A4.jpg

For this scheme there are Super Scale decals in 1/48 available...

Unfortunally not for the four A-4C´s including Fanny Hill....

Was it a rare picture that Skyhawks carried Sidewinders? This is the only picture of early Skyhawks with Sidewinders I know of.

Thomas

For this scheme there are Super Scale decals in 1/48 available...

Unfortunally not for the four A-4C´s including Fanny Hill....

Was it a rare picture that Skyhawks carried Sidewinders? This is the only picture of early Skyhawks with Sidewinders I know of.

Thomas

The small deck, ASW carriers used AIM-9 equipped Skyhawks for air defense in the early 1960s.

Regards,

Murph

The small deck, ASW carriers used AIM-9 equipped Skyhawks for air defense in the early 1960s.

Regards,

Murph

@romang: Thanks for the link!

And now one more question from one who has absolutely no knowledge on US Navy: What carriers were small deck ASW carriers?

That would make it maybe easier to find pics and decals.

Thomas

@romang: Thanks for the link!

And now one more question from one who has absolutely no knowledge on US Navy: What carriers were small deck ASW carriers?

That would make it maybe easier to find pics and decals.

Thomas

These were the 27 Charlie class carrier. Known to most of us the Essex class carrier. Some (quite a few actually) were converted to anti-submarine role and redesigated as CVS's.

27 Alpha angled deck CVS's in the late fifties to late sixties

CVS-9 Essex

CVS-10 Yorktown

CVS-12 Hornet

CVS-15 Randolph

CVS-18 Wasp

CVS-20 Bennington

CVS-33 Kearsarge

27 Charlie's were CVA's at first, then some were reclassed as CVS during the Sixties

CVA/CVS-11 Intrepid

CVA/CVS-14 Ticonderoga

CVA/CVS-38 Shangri La (classed as CVS on last cruise, but still operated a CVA wing)

CVS-39 Lake Champlain was a straight deck that was not converted

if you look at the ship names on GoNavy, you will see the deployments with the A-4 Dets

on Skyhawk org you can find good pics of the Sidewinder equipped Dets, once you know all the squadrons with those Dets

I'm thinking (altho you guys have pretty much established that already) that it's a C based on that outer wing pylon that the AIM-9 is mounted on. IIRC the A-4B had the inner and centerline pylons only and one of the distinguishing features of the C-model (vs the :crying2: was those outer pylons in addition to the other pylons on the B.

I'm thinking (altho you guys have pretty much established that already) that it's a C based on that outer wing pylon that the AIM-9 is mounted on. IIRC the A-4B had the inner and centerline pylons only and one of the distinguishing features of the C-model (vs the :crying2: was those outer pylons in addition to the other pylons on the B.

It was the E that first had 5 hardpoints - the C version always had 3, even when they were upgraded to the L configuration. It's just the nature of images of the Skyhawk to be confusing as to which pylons are visible. For example, sometimes TA-4J's had 3 pylons and sometimes they had 5, and it can be difficult to tell which a particular bird has, depending on the angle of the photo. I actually delayed gluing together the wings of my Hasegawa TA-4J for a month because I kept going back and forth on how many pylon holes I should drill out.

One note, pylons are removable, they are not permanently fixed to the aircraft. For the A-4 the pylons could be easily removed if they where not needed, would save a couple of hundred pounds in weight, and drag.

As for the pylons on the C and E as Spejic stated, the C had three, the E had five.

Reddog :woot.gif: