Chappie & everyone else,

There has been progress over the holidays .... but with family visiting, etc there has not been much progress (I was also working on my 1/32nd Mig-29M).

Currently I am working on the Cockpit: It has been assembled and I am in the middle of paiting it. It will be OOB, because I will be closing it up when done, there will not be much to see.

I have also started the front landing gear assembly. The #4 bird has the same landing gear structure as the -B models. The landing gear will be mostly OOB, but with a few custom details added (like wires, etc). The kit parts have a lot of detail built into them as is and looks good enough for me.

I promise to have some pics. after this next weekend. ~Monday Jan 4th

- Matt

Hi JeskiM,

Just a question about the camo : have you the reference (FS or other ?) of the painting in the notice of the revell box ?

Thanks

Benoit

Benoit,

Here's from the Revell instructions sheet (warning: I did not double check it agains my references)

Matt Black FS 37038

Matt Dark Green FS 36231

Desrt Tan FS 30400

Brown FS 30140

the instructions don't show the underside white; but I am pretty sure it is gloss white.

- Matt

Edited by JeskiM

All right....I got the front cockpit completed. I added a few scratched parts such as throttle sticks, etc. The coloring may not perfectly match a -1A; but neither did the actual part. I wanted the cockpit to "look busy"....I think I achieved that.

Pictures033.jpg

Pictures058.jpg

Pictures059.jpg

Pictures061.jpg

Pictures063.jpg

Pictures064.jpg

Pictures066.jpg

I painted the entire thing with a wet brush...no dry brushing.....the brush only has 3-5 hairs on it, and it was pretty much one small droplet at a time.

No for my conundrum....If I do this level of detail for the rear pit (ony the seats are done so far)....then I'd really like to open the hatches up to see inside.....BUT, i'd like the option to close the hatches (to show off the sleek lines of the B-1).

Any ideas ??? .... I think it could be done with a small spring or hinge....like someone did on a SU-24 in the ARC Hompage gallery.

I think I will just go ahead and tr to do a good job on the rear pit anyways.

- Matt

Thanks ! But are you sure ? Because 36231 is "dark gull grey" ...

Very nice cockpit !! :thumbsup:

Benoit,

Sorry for the confusion. I transposed the lines in the painting guide. You are right; I gave you the wrong FS color.

The correct color is (from the Revell Instruction manual):

Matt Dark Green - FS 34079

I would double check with the colors in the Detail & Scale file I sent you .... I trust that source more.....I know the author mentioned the FS colors used.

- Matt

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for the confusion. I transposed the lines in the painting guide. You are right; I gave you the wrong FS color.

The correct color is (from the Revell Instruction manual):

Matt Dark Green - FS 34079

I would double check with the colors in the Detail & Scale file I sent you .... I trust that source more.....I know the author mentioned the FS colors used.

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the color reference.

I bought :

50.jpg

51.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well......It's been a while since my last update; too busy with work, life abd other kit builds. I am building this as an over-arching project; so that I don't ever feel rushed.....this way I only work on it when I feel like it.

I am now 99% complet with the cockpit. I small minor thing to paint that I just noticed that I missed.

I decided to open up the cockpit; both of them, so that I can display the interior. To do it I added a thin strip of plastic around the "hatch's hinge" holes and windows so that I can insert the hatches open/closed whenever I want.

I scratched a few things in the rear cockpit: Fold down desks, some lever thing on the IP between each seat, some folder panels on the side walls. I also stole 2 joysticks from some F-16s and put them on a stick for each seat. I also filled in the window, hole for the SMCS vane, and one of the holes for a pitot tube.....the -1A had a different configuration/placement of these than the -1B.

Thanks for your patience. Next up : the front landing gear well.....I will be using the white metal landing gear from Scale Aircraft Conversions to deal with the weight support issue.

- Matt

Pictures011-1.jpg

Pictures009-2.jpg

Pictures002-1.jpg

Pictures004-1.jpg

Pictures008-2.jpg

Pictures007-1.jpg

Pictures006-1.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

All,

It's time to revive this puppy from the shelf. I've been very busy this last year and this project got put on hold for various reasons. I've also managed to re-kindle the motivation/interst to move on.

So starting now I have pulled it back out and started work on opening up one of the vents. I plan to work on finishing up the forward sub assembly over the next few weeks.

Expect pictures this weekend coming.

- Matt

Oh man! How could this thread have passed under my radar!!! Shame on me!

Always nice to see other Bones being built! I want to get back to my B-1 asap (I'm doing a -B version) but I feel I need to clear my bench from other unfinished builds first.

I really like what you've done so far (i.e. the access ladder was a GREAT improvement!). I hope we'll see soon more from this one!

/Kristian

Here are the latest pics.

I have created the vent just forward (pilot side) of the front landing gear. This vent is always open when the landing gear is down.

DSC02461.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

I have created the conic sections of the radome. I had to cut it to account for the plastic that will cover it, filler, etc....to make sure that when I attach it, there will not be a step.

DSC02457.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

DSC02463.jpg

I also started on the avionics cooling and pressurization vent on top/behind the cockpit. Right now I only have the opening in place and the sides cut to the proper profile. I will finish this soon.

The big thing is starting to build up the nose cone. Originally I thought about just making a 2-D profile and drill it into some clay/candle and pour some resin. Then I thought about opening the radome to show the radar, so I realized that I dont want a solid cone. So I decided to take a tough approach (the first thing that came to mind). I cut a strip of plastic the same way I cut a piece of tape as when I mask off the yellow stripe on the front of a bomb. This way I came wrap it around the cone. This approach does not work so well with a small radius, but does work better as the radius gets bigger. I had issues with some sections breaking off. The bottom line is that once this part is done; I will not need too much filler to create a thin coat over the whole cone. Then I will sand to shape.

DSC02464.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02466.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...