So I got this model for christmas and I am itching to get started. Ive got a bit to do on my Polish F-16 then I think I will get started on the engine. Expect a bit of work on this in the next couple of days!!!!

by the way...THIS MODEL IS OUTSTANDING!!!! I can't wait to get this one on the shelf.

Stay Tuned!!!!

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000

so I haven't started building this yet...but I am going through the instructions and figuring out my plan of attack for this beast. with so much detail it will be easy to get lost, and I am trying to use the airbrush as few times as possible, so a well thought out plan is needed.

I am creating a spreadsheet type set of instructions that will allow me to(hopefully) build this as efficiently as possible, while still allowing me to build it in subsections( i will be jumping all over the instructions so we shall see how that goes!!!)

I still have a few decisions to make..namely pilot in or out, canopy open or closed and depending on that decision, cockpit door open or closed. the markings will be the polish, desert bird. don't have a desert bird in the collection yet and my GF is polish (and I already have a JE*J in 1/48th) so at least that decision was pretty much made for me.

Should hopefully see some glue hit the plastic as soon as the decals are done one the F-16!!!

Sean

So I started a bit of work on this wonderful kit. I started on the engine and the fit is awesome. all the seam lines fall on real seam lines so the finished product looks great. I can only hope the rest of the seams are as neat and clean as they are on the engine.

pics so far:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Sean

Hey Sean,

Nice so far... I have this kit and hope to start it in the next week!

If you can, scale down the pictures a little. They're awkward to see when they're that big.

Thanks Miccara,

sorry about the pic size. They are 50% of the original and copied form my webpage. I really don't want to make them much smaller as they don't like right on the webpage.

Sean

Thanks Miccara,

sorry about the pic size. They are 50% of the original and copied form my webpage. I really don't want to make them much smaller as they don't like right on the webpage.

Sean

Actually, if you're publishing them on the web anywhere, they're way too big! Anybody trying to view those images on a slow connection is in for a long wait...

Kev

so...the merlin is pretty much built and it looks like I will be adding a bunch more detail to it. ALOT of wiring and plumbing is missing in the kit and it isnt too hard to replicate it.

I have started to paint some of the parts black and I should have that wrapped up tonight. I am hoping to have pictures up here by tomorrow...fri at the latest.

Sean

OK.. as promised here are the pictures. I have decided to resize all my future model pictures to make it easier on this site.

first off...a picture of the PE gaskets for the intake manifold...an amazing little detail!!

011.jpg

next..the nut and the gaskets in the carbuerator. the nut is what holds the engine in place and the gaskets hold the lower cowling. I LOVE the engineering done on this

013.jpg

and now the only part so far that has needed some putty...the seams on the carbuerator

before:

016.jpg

017.jpg

and after:

018.jpg

019.jpg

The assembled carbuerator, supercharger and air box. the fit on the air box was horrible. I am not sure if it was something I did or if it is a weak point in the kit..but I couldn't get them to line up at all. I ended up cutting off all the positive connections(it is designed to only fit together one way) and put it together that way. seems to have turned out ok.

022.jpg

more to follow

and here is a bunch of the parts painted black. As I stated earlier in the thread...I have come up with my own order and set of instructions for this so I can do it as efficiently as possible(ie..using the airbrush as few times as possible). all of the parts are in labeled ziplock bags so I can find them easily later when they are needed.

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

I am getting ready to paint all the bare metal parts. It will be the first time I will use the paint that Wayne got me at Oshkosh; I can't remember what it is but it comes in a tallish, squarish bottle. Ill let you know what I think of it when I am done.

I am still undecided as to whether I cam going to super detail the engine. if I do the engine I will have to do the cockpit..and it isnt that I can't do it..but if I do It wont qualify for the OOB catergory at the next competition. I am thinking of doing this one OOB and then getting another and going absolutely "nucking futs" on it!!!!

Thanks for looking.

C&C welcome.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Firstly, Happy New year :D

Secondly, thanks for taking the time to post such detailled progress shots of this super kit. It makes it easy to see how the kit looks and what you get in the box.

Looking good so far.

I was so excited to see Tamiya produce a 1/32nd scale Spitfire. If it goes together anything like their F-16 in this scale then it will surely be a world beater.

I'm waiting though.......to me, a Spitfire has 8x .303s, three bladed prop, exhausts grouped in three fish-tailed blocks of two per side with green, earth and sky scheme.......hopefully Tamiya will see fit to release an earlier marque sometime :) When that happens, I'm in like Flynn! :)

Until then, I'll live out my Spitfire modelling vicariously with threads like yours. :)

Keep up the good work,

:)

Thank you geedubelyer,

I figured people would want to see this kind of detail and as most people seem to be waiting before they build this..I figured id give the people what they want.

I am 100% that Tamiya will release earlier and later versions of the sptfire. I can't see them spend all the extra time they did engineering the kit the way it is if it wasn't planned. They can pretty much release ANY full-back version with very little effort and almost no changing to the current molds. everything is designed in a modular style that is amazing irregardless of the quality of the actual model.

It is just a matter of time until you get what you want!!!

Sean

It looks fantastic so far!

I agree - do an OOB to start and then go crazy. Besides, for 95% of the people who will see the model in your display, they really won't notice the difference because this kit (if its anything like the 32nd Zeros) is chock full of detail.

Keep it up!

work is progressing on this, but because of my unorthodox construction order...there isn't much to show right now. I have gotten a few minor sub-assemblies for the cockpit done and the bare metal parts painted. as I was painting with the metal paint..I realised that my current airbrush just wont cut it for the finer work and smooth finish that this model will need, so I went ahead and ordered a new airbrush (Iwata) which I will get to try out when I try to highlight some of the interior cockpit parts.

I should have some pictures in the next few days.

Thanks for looking,

Sean

awesome weathering job you done there. looking forward to seeing how you finish your cockpit off too.

the probs you had with the airbox i had too. took a few (read loads) of dryfitting attempts to realise that all the sides have a very specific fitting orientation. they do fit together, as i managed to get mine to lock together.

the rest of the kit is a joy to fit together trust me. tamiya have created a maasterpiece in this kit.