Finally upgrading to a Dremel!!

I've wanted a Dremel since the '80's, if not longer. I was finally given a gift card to purchase one and I was wondering which model would everybody recommend? I know it should have variable speeds and I was looking at the 8000 model. Would that be a good choice?

Another question is what would be the best or most useful attachments to get? TIA,

Rick

Edited by madmanrick
I've wanted a Dremel since the '80's, if not longer. I was finally given a gift card to purchase one and I was wondering which model would everybody recommend? I know it should have variable speeds and I was looking at the 8000 model. Would that be a good choice?

Another question is what would be the best or most useful attachments to get? TIA,

Rick

I'm not familiar with the current models, but for working with plastic, I'd look for the ability to go at lower speeds more so than higher.

Gerald,

Is your Dremel the 8000 model? If so, that's the one I was looking at initially (I do like the Stylus model though!). Do you know if the 8000 will accept the flex shaft attachment? TIA,

Rick

Not sure if it does, since I don't spend a lot of time using it to carve our vast amounts of resin or styrene I haven't needed one. Give the folks at Dremel a call. I met several of the ladies who work customer service at a trade show, they are nice and will answer any questions you might have.

Hi Rick, I have had one for years. You will find that it's just like an airbrush. I don't know how I ever got along without one. I use mine for one thing or another on almost every model I build. It saves much precious TIME! It is just like an airbrush in that there is somewhat of a learning curve. I would practice on a scrap model, especially when it comes to removing plastic. It will remove plastic IN A HURRY!!! You need to pay attention when using it. Start out slow. I bought a pile of 1/72 scale A-7 Corsair II's a few years back. Squadron had them for 99 cents per model. They are actually a very nice model. I wish I had doubled my pile! Anyway, they make nice practice models for the airbrush, Dremel too, etc. I use mine mostly for removing, trimming, etc. plastic. I also use the cut-off wheels alot. There are many, many things that you will find that this tool will do for you. It is definitely worth the $$. Good luck and happy modeling.

I have two--one corded, older model with a flex shaft and a Stylus. Since I got the Stylus, I haven't even thought about using the other one. Not sure why you'd want to hook up the flex shaft to the smaller battery models in the first place...

Great info guys, thanks!

Now for another question, what accessories would you guys consider essential for plastic modeling? I plan on using my Dremel for mainly cutting and sanding plastic and resin. Particularly for large jobs such as cutting away plastic for conversions and the like. TIA,

Rick

Great info guys, thanks!

Now for another question, what accessories would you guys consider essential for plastic modeling? I plan on using my Dremel for mainly cutting and sanding plastic and resin. Particularly for large jobs such as cutting away plastic for conversions and the like. TIA,

Rick

Sanding rolls, cut-off wheels, and router bits are good for that. You can even get generic stuff on Ebay at good prices....especially the router bits.

Also, if you go with the cordless models, I highly recommend getting the drill chuck adapter. It will eliminate the need to change out the different colletes to accommodate different shaft sizes of the bits.