This was a group build that I've been waiting for after the idea was first floated. I did force myself to complete my F/A-18C before starting this one though.

After much debate about whether to build the 1/48 or 1/72, I settled on the 1/72. I actually started working on this kit last Wednesday. The build has been so enjoyable that I've failed to take the time to post pictures.

This is the Tamiya 1/72 P-47D Bubbletop. I plan to use Super Scale decals for Fat Cat.

Here is the traditional box shot:

P-47DBubble1.jpg

Thanks,

Rodney

Originally, I planned to finish the kit with the canopy closed but the cockpit really is nice in this kit. This work was accomplished last weekend. Here are pics of the finished cockpit:

P-47DBubble2.jpg

P-47DBubble3.jpg

P-47DBubble4.jpg

P-47DBubble5.jpg

Last night, I got the first cote of Alclad on the kit and hope to get some more painting done today.

Rodney

Had a very good day in the hobby room. Primed with Mr. Surfacer 1200 yesterday, fixed issues, and lightly sanded it. Used Alclad Aluminumn for the metal finish and Alclad White Aluminumn for some of the panels (though it is hard to tell in person much less on camera). I used Mr. Color laquers for the olive drab and red. The olive drab was post shaded but is hard to see in the pictures. I'll try to take better pictures when finished. For the most part, I have to work on the landing gear and canopy. Then, onto the decaling process.

P-47DBubble6.jpg

P-47DBubble7.jpg

P-47DBubble9.jpg

P-47DBubble8.jpg

Rodney

Excellent start, Rodney.

Your cockpit is outstanding and it bodes well for the rest of the build. Hope the painting went well.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew. It has been a good day. Time for dinner and a movie now.

After a week of minimum hobby time, I got some good hours in yesterday and today. I'm calling this one done and putting it in the display case. The Tamiya kit a joy to build and a great stress reliever from work. Ok, onto the pictures:

P-47DBubbleFinished1.jpg

P-47DBubbleFinished2.jpg

P-47DBubbleFinished3.jpg

P-47DBubbleFinished4.jpg

P-47DBubbleFinished5.jpg

A few more...

P-47DBubbleFinished6.jpg

P-47DBubbleFinished7.jpg

P-47DBubbleFinished8.jpg

P-47DBubbleFinished9.jpg

A great theme for a Group Build. Depending on how my next build goes for a differend Group Build, I may try to get another Thunderbolt done.

Thanks,

Rodney

Edited by Rodney

Thanks for the kind words guys. After building this one, I really like the lines of the bubbletop. I may try to build a 1/48 before the end of the group build. I'm enjoying all of your builds as well.

Rodney

Originally, I planned to finish the kit with the canopy closed but the cockpit really is nice in this kit. This work was accomplished last weekend. Here are pics of the finished cockpit:

P-47DBubble2.jpg

P-47DBubble3.jpg

P-47DBubble4.jpg

P-47DBubble5.jpg

Last night, I got the first cote of Alclad on the kit and hope to get some more painting done today.

Rodney

RIGHT...that's it, I'm buying bloody tamiya P-47's if or when I ever buy more. That cockpit is gorgeous. The Revell kits are nice but they're showing their molding age (flash) and the Tamiya is just coming to the fore. Take the F4U series, gawd awfully detailed. Just have to pay more is all but that's a small formality.

RIGHT...that's it, I'm buying bloody tamiya P-47's if or when I ever buy more. That cockpit is gorgeous. The Revell kits are nice but they're showing their molding age (flash) and the Tamiya is just coming to the fore. Take the F4U series, gawd awfully detailed. Just have to pay more is all but that's a small formality.

It is a great little kit and a joy to build! You won't regret it.

Rodney

• 3 weeks later...

I got my hands on two Razorback's and a Bubbletop for $92 incl. postage. Overkill? I think not considering I also purchased a set of decals off Hannants.co.uk also (along with Mig-21 & P-40 decals) at the same time. I'm thinking of completing another P-47 before this group build is over too and the Tamiya Razorback should be perfect. Great work on the Fat Cat Rodney, agree with all saying this is an awesome group build idea.