Been a while since I posted some at this forum, I know have to shame myself big time. But here are some photos from Frisian Flag 2010 at Leeuwarden AB. Was a great sunny day, not knowing by then that next day the entire excercise would be cancelled due to some ash from Iceland. Also the Phantoms from Germany were grounded that afternoon because of some ejection seat problems. So luckily we were able to see almost every aircraft that was there. With 50+ aircraft its was much more fun then in 2009. But anyway here some photos. More on my site.

14apr10_001.jpg

14apr10_003.jpg

14apr10_006.jpg

4. Uhm, HOTAS was Hands On right? :tumble:

14apr10_010.jpg

14apr10_011.jpg

14apr10_015.jpg

14apr10_016.jpg

14apr10_018.jpg

14apr10_019.jpg

14apr10_021.jpg

Edited by Mad Viper

Wow. That's a great selection of aircraft. I'm glad that you were able to photograph them before they were grounded. Are the aircraft all still there, or were they able to get back to their home bases before the ash shut down the airspace?

Cheers and thanks for posting,

Scott

We stopped through Mildenhall right as the exercise started and heard the tankers going out for it. Sadly it ended quickly.

Great photos of the few days it was going.

-JS

Beautiful photos! Nice selection of differenet planes and nationalities. Always good to see one of our Bugs abroad too.

Good to see the Black Lynx on the Finnish F-18...

At one point I wasn't sure if that even is a lynx at all. I remember reading a book about FinAF markings and camos (a local bibble on the subject) where it was mentioned it's a deer of somekind. I might be totally wrong and yesterday when I tried to find more about this animal from the internet without access to that book, it came quite clear it is a lynx after all. Obviously the guy who designed it had never seen a real lynx. On the other hand, it's extremely rare to see a lynx in the nature and since for obvious reasons he had no access to the internet, I quess it's quite understandable. :)

The more famous lynx (the one seen on some of the MiGs, on all types, but not on all the individual planes) is a different lynx, belonging to the HävLLv 31 (Fighter Squadron 31) whereas the lynx seen on HN-424 once belonged to HävLLv 24. Basically they are the same thing as the 24th wing was discontinued after the war and renamed as Fighter Squadron 31. The lynx of the 31st Squadron, the "MiG lynx", has also been used on our Hornet(s?).

Sorry for the lecture! It's just that until recently this thing was a bit unclear to me as well.