Shipping built models

I'm selling my first build kit on eBay and was looking for suggestions on paking and shipping. Does anyone have any experience on the matter? Any help would be appreciated.

FYI it's a revell f-15e 1/48, cans vert tails and canopy are not glued yet.

The model is just way to big for me to keep it anywhere so I rather give if of to a better home.

I just mailed my completed Su-25 from FL to AZ with everything attached (i.e. pitot tubes, antennae blades, MLG, etc) and it arrived in ONE piece!

It was the first time I've shipped anything so delicate. My method was adapted slightly from an idea I found HERE.

Edited by warthoglvr

I'm working on a 1/32 T-bolt that will first go from WA to FL, then on to Guatemala! Will also be my first shipped model, and I'm very nervous about it's journey. Looking forward to replies to this thread!

BTW, it will be loaded with HVAR's, bombs, one gun bay open and of course your typical antenae, pitot tubes, and gun barrels x8. Lots of things for the shippers to break off!

One thing I'll add, is that I required the customer to pay insurance on the parcel, so worse case scenario, there's always the insurance $$.

i found the foam in joan fabrics they want $26 per yard :coolio:

so i might just have to pay it and ship it like that

I had it ready to go but i realy wasent confident on how it looked so i

posponed it and told the winner to please understand that i dont want it to arive in bad shape.

I can only recommend Swanny's method of packing, if you truly want your model to arrive in good order. I'd used some of the other methods in the past but nothing is quite as rugged and secure as patiently doing the cut-out/shape from foam. I pick up the stuff at the local packing supplier and can tell you it's not cheap either....about $16.50 for a 24"x24"x2"thick sheet. Still, it's well worth the investment as it only takes a mishap or rough handling to ruin an otherwise good model.

Below is a picture of how I was able to pack up several planes at once using this technique. And yes....the washing machine IS a Maytag too! :cheers:

IMG_2045.jpg

Best,

Greg

Edited by GGoheen
I can only recommend Swanny's method of packing, if you truly want your model to arrive in good order. I'd used some of the other methods in the past but nothing is quite as rugged and secure as patiently doing the cut-out/shape from foam. I pick up the stuff at the local packing supplier and can tell you it's not cheap either....about $16.50 for a 24"x24"x2"thick sheet. Still, it's well worth the investment as it only takes a mishap or rough handling to ruin an otherwise good model.

Below is a picture of how I was able to pack up several planes at once using this technique. And yes....the washing maching IS a Maytag too! ;)

IMG_2045.jpg

Best,

Greg

Impressive selection of 109's! :whistle:

Okay so I was going to suggest a ****load of cotton buds but that works for long distance shipping. I take my 1/72 models to work as Desk Guardians (have my Revell P-47D, people don't mess with my desk now :sign_spam: ) but that's only a 20 minute walk and one model at a time.