Mustang Wings and panel seams

On 5/10/2014 at 10:57 AM, tourist said:

MustangWingFinish.jpg

Excuse the thread semi-hijack, but this drawing shows something I've wondered about....what are the three colored 

Iights under the right wingtip? 

Obviously some sort of recognition light...but why?

Edited by JohnEB

Not an expert but probably used to keep you from getting shot down as you approach the airfield for landing.  Some sort of prearranged combination of lights to let people on the ground know you are a friendly?

Geoff M

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Lots of discussion on how it is supposed to look, now how do you putty your wings?  I just failed on mine.  I tried a mix of filler and thinner, spread it all over the wings and when I shot my primer every single rivet and panel line were visible just as if I had done nothing or nearly so.  I used a solvent comparable filler by MiG like Tamiya’s.    So last night I bombed on a heavy coat of primer on the wings and will have to sand again.  I don:t mind if some rivets show through and some panel line as this is a model and it adds visual interest.  But I want them subdued and inconsistent.  My first effort they were all showing.