Airbrush Setup Questions

Hello all,

I've been building models for quite sometime, but I never got around to getting an airbrush. Now that I'm build more seriously, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade from brush painting (at least for the large expanses of color). I didn't want to spend too much and after reading the forums, found these at Harbor Freight Tools. Will these two go together? Do I need any special adapters or need anything else on the order to get started? Seemed like a pretty good deal, considering I was looking at a near $300 Iwata setup!

http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-hp...ssor-93657.html

Hello all,

I've been building models for quite sometime, but I never got around to getting an airbrush. Now that I'm build more seriously, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade from brush painting (at least for the large expanses of color). I didn't want to spend too much and after reading the forums, found these at Harbor Freight Tools. Will these two go together? Do I need any special adapters or need anything else on the order to get started? Seemed like a pretty good deal, considering I was looking at a near $300 Iwata setup!

Here's a better option than the Harbor Freight one and it's only a couple more bucks. Hobby King TG-130K
If I got an Iwata Revolution BCR or a Revolution CS, would that work with the compressor from Harbor Freight?
That particular compressor will work with any brush, but I would suggest you get one with an air tank for more consistant airflow. Also the motor won't be constantly running, which will extend the life of your compressor. For an airbrush, Iwata would be the better choice. If you're set on getting a Revolution, the CR with the larger cup would be ideal for models IMHO. It comes with a 0.50mm tip for broad spray, but you can always convert to a 0.30mm gun for $30+ bucks. It's gravity feed so you can get some fine details with this set up. If your budget will allow for it, the Eclipse HP-CS is a better option. HTH?
If you're set on getting a Revolution, the CR with the larger cup would be ideal for models IMHO.

I don't know. I have both the Revolution CR and the Revolution BR, but I find myself using the Revolution BR with a 0.30mm tip 95% of the time. Even though the BR has a smaller cup, it seldom gets filled more than half, and the 0.30mm tip does provide a pretty wide spray pattern. The CR only comes in handy when spraying acrylic metallics and clear coats, but the BR can also perform the same task. Both are great airbrushes.

airbrushes2.jpg

Hi Guys, thanks for helping figure this stuff out. It's quite confusing for me! (So much so, I haven't even considered purchasing one for at least 10 years!) So a couple more questions, what are the differences between a gravity fed vs. bottle fed airbrush? I've see the explanations online, but how does that translate into painting models? My main purpose right now is to provide even base coats, and then apply simple masks. Any detail brushing, I would probably still stick with the small hair brushes I have. Which Iwata Revolution would be best for this application? My next question is, the Airbrush-Depot TC-20T compressor, seems like a great deal and has a small tank. Would you guys recommend something like this? (Or even recommend purchasing from TCP/AirbrushDepot?) They have a great kit including the Iwata Revolution brush, tanked compressor, and 6' airhose for around $220! My main concern is getting something that has a good value and will allow me to keep improving my skills, or lack thereof! Thanks guys!

I have an Iwata HP-CS. I have it hooked up to a general $50 air compressor I bought at Meijer's (a wal-mart type store). Personally I think the airbrush market is like the automobile market (in america), flooded with way more options than anyone needs.

Aaron

To answer your question about gravity vs bottle feeds . . .

I used a Paasche VL (bottle feed) for many years with good results so I never paid much attention to getting a new airbrush. About a year or two ago, I finally bought an Iwata HP-C (gravity feed). WOW, what a difference! I now wish I had bought the Iwata years ago. The gravity feed allows you to spray with much lower pressure (10lbs) and therefore obtain much finer results. And you get more coverage for the same paint because more of it goes onto the model rather than being blasted away with the 20+lb pressure needed with the bottle feed.

The only problem I can imagine with the gravity feed airbrushes would be the limited amount of paint held in the cup. However, for spraying models, I find the cup more than adequate. If you want to spray a production run of t-shirts, I'm sure the gravity cup would be too small, but for our purposes, it is just fine. Mind you I don't build large (32nd scale or larger) models so if that is your intention, maybe you could ask the guys building them to comment.

Warwick

Also you say, "They have a great kit including the Iwata Revolution brush, tanked compressor, and 6' airhose for around $220!" Sounds like good deal to me. Go for it. You will have it for years and, while it will fill your present desire to just do basic even base coats, it will allow you to develop your skills well into the future.

Warwick

So a couple more questions, what are the differences between a gravity fed vs. bottle fed airbrush?

As stated, you don't need high air pressure on a gravity feed airbrush since the paint doesn't need to be pulled up from a bottle. As a result, you can achieve fine spray pattern without much overspray. Also, cleaning a gravity feed airbrush is much easier and faster.

I have a few airbrushes. They were either bought at very reasonable discounts or given to me, except for one, my favourite. I have an Aztec, a Revell Profi-Plus (Theyer & Chandler Vega series), a Badger 200 and a some which really shouldn't be called airbrushes. But my best one, by far is a Harder & Steenbeck Silverline Evolution 2-in-1. It's a smashing airbrush. It sprays superbly, is simple to clean and feels really nice to use. It has enough extras such as interchangeable colour cups, needles, nozzles and needle/nozzle protectors so you can get the set-up you need. It will last even professionals for years.

PM

I used a Paasche H (and still do) for a long time. When Paasche came out with the gravity fed Talon airbrush, I decided to get one. Like wdw said, there is a very positive difference when switching to a gravity fed airbrush. I couldn't believe the difference. As far as compressors, I use one that I bought from Tractor Supply (TSC). I actually have 2 Paasche H's and the Talon. With the two airbrushes, spare parts that I have on hand, and the compressor, I probably have between $200 and $250 in the whole lot. One more thing: Paasche parts are readily available. You can get them at most LHS's or even Hobby Lobby. Also, check out some places on the internet like Bearair, Orchard Trading Co., Chicago Airbrush, etc. There are a lot of great airbrush supply companies out there.

I'd stay away form a bottom feed A/B, they are a pain to clean every time you want to change colors, the only time I've seen an advantage to a bottom bottle feed is for artist painting (as mentioned) T-shirts, murals,Vans,and on the street artists, where they need a variety of colors ready at hand.

Get a A/B that is comfortable to hold and work the controls,and go straight to an double action,no baby steps needed, I also recommend the Iwata Eclipse brush, but don't over look Badger, they are quality brushes and parts are readily available, and far less expensive then Iwata (I know from experience, and Iwata .35 tip cost $25.00 the complete head of a Badger is $12.00)

Once you get your A/B the only thing you'll need your paint brushes for will be to detail your cockpit.

Air source, don't over think this one,I've used a Craftsman full sized compressor for years, if your going to invest in something make the best of it, I can use it for more than just airbrushing, I air up my tires, run hand tools, painted my Jeep (1/1) defiantly not a one dimensional tool.

Curt

I agree with Netz on the compressor. I've got a 2 gallon Craftsman that I use as well. I fill it up before the kids go to bed, and can usually get a pretty good painting session in before I run out of air. And, as mentioned, I can use it for other projects too. The regulator goes down far enough for airbrushing, and I have an in-hose moisture trap that helps keep water out of the AB. The only thing I'd change on mine is the size of the tank. I'd look at a 3-5 gallon one if I was to do it again, because I only model when the kids are asleep and if I run out of air mid-project, there is nothing I can do about it. The compressor is quite loud, so you may need to take that into consideration depending on your circumstances.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Thanks so much for the extra info guys. I think from the feedback, and based off of what I intend to do with the airbrush, the Iwata CR or BR will be ideal. I live in a condo, so any spraying will most likely occur outside on the patio, so a quieter compressor is necessary. Has anybody tried this type of compressor from airbrushdepot, the TC20T?

Thanks so much for the extra info guys. I think from the feedback, and based off of what I intend to do with the airbrush, the Iwata CR or BR will be ideal. I live in a condo, so any spraying will most likely occur outside on the patio, so a quieter compressor is necessary. Has anybody tried this type of compressor from airbrushdepot, the TC20T?

For a good balance among cost, performance, features and reliability, consider the Sparmax TC-2000 or TC-5000 if you prefer having an airtank. The TC-2000 has a powerful enough motor for all modeling task. I will consider the TC-5000 with tank nice to have, but not necessary.

The Sparmax TC-2000 is available at Hobby Lobby. Unfortunately, the HL is not an option for south CA.

The TCP Global TC-20T is a nice compressor too. There are many good feedback on it at the FSM forum. But it does not have the refinement of the Sparmax. Personally, I prefer a twin piston compressor without tank over a single piston with tank compressor. They cost about the same.

On the airbrush, I believe that the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS is a more versatile design for modeling. It may cost $20-30 more at purchase one time. It is well worth it.

Edited by Kei Lau
Well, I finally did it! After 10 years of debate, I ordered my first airbrush today. It's the Iwata Revolution BR with the TC-20T compressor and air hose. I'm excited to start painting!

It is a unique choice with the BR airbrush (0.3 mm nozzle). Let us know how it works out for you.

I got my airbrush yesterday and set up all the stuff. Holy cow! I adjusted the PSI to 15 and I tried spraying some ink onto a towel-the airbrush is amazingly intuitive to use. It feels like an extension of my hand! I was able to write, make fine lines, do big broad covering strokes. Next up, I'll try priming a plastic bottle. This is a pretty sweet setup! (And the airbrush cup holds plenty of paint for models)