Classic Airframes Vampire Mk.3

sanding....sanding...filling....cursing....sanding...cursing...

Reminds me of part oif the lyrics from Aces High.

ps: Sorry for the accidental edit of the above post, hit the edit button instead of the quote button.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Started to finish up the wings. Spent an hour on the top part of one wing sanding and polishing. I think I got most of the big scratches out but with a coat of primer the smaller ones will hopefully be hidden. I will post some pics when I get the wings on.

Well I got both wings on. The left wing joint still needs some filling and sanding. The right wings just needs to fine sanded and polished with the panel lines redone. Working away at it.

All comments are welcome.

Wayne

kinda looks like a bat doesn't it?

wings.jpg

Edited by Quiddy

I've never attempted a CA kit but I understand you have to be a masochist to do so!? :thumbsup:

Congrats on the patience you're displaying, Wayne. Should look quite nice when done. And in the photo you've posted, it almost looks like a Horton Flying Wing rather than a Vampire.

Good luck with your progress.

Mike

Well I got both wings on. The left wing joint still needs some filling and sanding. The right wings just needs to fine sanded and polished with the panel lines redone. Working away at it.

All comments are welcome.

Wayne

kinda looks like a bat doesn't it?

wings.jpg

Wayne

It definitely looks like a bat without the tail booms.

The filling job is very nice. I have cursed and sworn at the F-5 kit from CA in 1/48 (have built two of them). Talk about horrible fit! This one looks similar. I join the chorus praising your patience and skill in making it look good.

ALF

Thanks guys for the comments. I am kinda liking the extra work involved with this kit. Does that make me sick?

Alf- I have the CA F-5 partially built. I have a lot of scribing to do in that one also. I plan on doing it in 434 Sq.

Wayne

Wayne

It definitely looks like a bat without the tail booms.

The filling job is very nice. I have cursed and sworn at the F-5 kit from CA in 1/48 (have built two of them). Talk about horrible fit! This one looks similar. I join the chorus praising your patience and skill in making it look good.

ALF

Thats what I told Wayne, its an aluminium bat.

This is coming along nicely Wayne.

Wayne...I cut two "V" notches in the basla for the booms and taped the stab to the balsa. The notches were cut so that they lined up with the ends of the stab. To ensure vertical accuracy I used a small set square on the rudders...taking into account the taper...do this on the trailing edge.

Barney

• 2 weeks later...

Still sanding, almost to the polishing stage of the fuselage and wings. Test fitting the booms also. One thing I did to try to strengthen the bond between the horizontal stab and the booms is to drill a hole on both ends of the horizontal stab., one towards the front and the other towards the back and then a corresponding hole in the boom. I have a small plastic rod that fits the size of the hole. I intend to insert the rod and hopefully when everything is lined it will be a strong bond. Pictures to follow when I finally get to that stage.

Edited by Quiddy

Looks like it is coming along.

From following your thread here, it got me kind of thinking how much I like the lines of the Vampire.

I draw and paint wildlife and have never drawn an aircraft before.....oddly enough.....so thanks to you, I decided to give it a wirl.

Brent

scan0001.jpg

Since it a nice snowy day here on the east coast of Canada, I thought I could get some work done on the Vampire. Did some work on the booms. I have an Osprey book by Brent Green, and in it he is building a CA Venom. To help with the fit of the booms he created wedges out of plastic sheet. I thought I would do the same.

boom1.jpg

I inserted it in the front of the boom

boom2.jpg

For the horizontal stab, which just sit there with no support until glued, I drilled holes in the end of the stab. and in the end of the boom. I then cut some small plastic tubing for the re-enforcements.

boom3.jpg

boom4.jpg

boom6.jpg

I was able to put it all together without gluing to see how it fit.

boom7.jpg

Thanks for looking. All comments are welcome.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...