Steve F.'s Revell F-14B

Wow Steve that really looks nice! Go all out on it!

Its neat how you used the Hasegawa console parts, but the two in the front look a bit small, or is the surrounding wall detail going to fill it in?

And the milliput really helps the seats, awesome work there!

Hi James-

The front consoles are just a tad small, but I'm sure that the sidewall detail will obscure that. Plus, the cockpit looks much busier than it did before, so I'm hoping that the overall effect will be improved once the whole is painted.

Thanks for the comments on the Milliput. Actually, I'm going to go back and re-work them a bit today. I'm not at all stisfied with them at the moment, but now that I've got a better feel for how Tenax works, and when is the best time to start working with it after it cures, I'll be able to go back at it, armed with that knowledge.

Again, I have no idea what came over me as far as starting this kit, ESPECIALLY given the fact that, at last count, I have fourteen different Hasegawa/Academy kits of the A, A+, and B, and what do I do but pull this thing down from the shelves....... :blink:

Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

I'm not at all stisfied with them at the moment, but now that I've got a better feel for how Tenax works, and when is the best time to start working with it after it cures, I'll be able to go back at it, armed with that knowledge.

moreek.gif

Tenax

Yeah, I'm getting a little punchy now - I meant Milliput. :thumbsup:

BTW, here's version 2.0 of the seats. I re-did the seat cushions, and added some much thinner belts. I still need to do some cleanup work once the putty fully cures, and I also need to add buckles, but overall, I'm pretty happy with my first (actually second) effort:

A little better than my last effort-

14.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad we have these forums.. I don't know if I ever would of thought of using the numerous left over Hasegawa consoles I have from buying all the BB F-14 sets in the Monogram kits I have in the stash. I hope to continue on with a Mono cat I started about 2 years ago using some of your ideas, Steve.

Also, does it go without saying that you will be applying some sort of VF-84/103 decals when finished? Hmmm?

Chris Ishmael

Hey Chris-

Long time, no hear from.....how ya been? :cheers:

Anyway, you're right.....I'm pretty much settling on this being a VF-103 line bird. I'm hoping that some decals will be released for it by the time I'm finished, or else I'm either going to have to do it myself, or contract out a sheet. With any luck, it'll look like this when I'm done:

102leftside.jpg

(Above photo courtesy of Dana Potts through Brian Marbrey.)

I also need to thank Brian Marbrey in public for all his help with my Tomcat projects. He has been an immense help, and has probabaly forgotten more about Tomcats than I'll ever know.

I hope to continue on with a Mono cat I started about 2 years ago using some of your ideas, Steve.

Glad to hear it! Nice to know that I helped to get a project jump-started. :worship: That's the whole idea of these forums.....keep the knowledge flowing.

Edited by Steve Filak
  • 1 month later...

Well, after about eight hours monkeying with Photoshop, I came up with these markings. Now, all I need is a few sheets of decal paper and I'll be all set.

The modex numbers were modified from the Amarillo USAF font. I typed them out, blew them up, and then altered the shapes. These are just the basic markings that aren't available commercially - there are other markings that I need, but I can scrounge them off of other sheets, and I can't print the white decals such as the skull/crossbones, so I'll have to cannibalize other sheets for these as well. I still need to come up with two more BuNos, and then I'll be able to do the 101, 105, and 110 birds from this sheet. I was originally going to do the 102 bird, but I couldn't figure out how to reverse the italics for the starboard side.

Oh, and BTW, the fuselage/wings are closed up, nav lights have been installed into the wingtips, and I'm about halfway through the scribing. I'm going to have to wait for a scribing template to finish it, because there are some oddball shapes that are too hard to freehand, but it's getting there. I can really see why Cyrus said it took so long to scribe this model - it seems like its taking me forever!

That is totally cool Steve!

what kind of epoxy putty are you using?

I like the results - quite impressive!  :D

Regards,

--Frank

Thanks, Frank! The epoxy putty is Milliput, BTW, and I'm learning a lot of new tricks with it as I go. Hopefully, mine will look half as nice as Cyrus' Tomcat when it's done. ;)

Cheers! ;)

I was originally going to do the 102 bird, but I couldn't figure out how to reverse the italics for the starboard side.

Steve

1. In Photoshop create your 102 modex on a seperate layer.

2. While holding down the "Control" Key click on that layer

3. Create a new layer, and select it.

4. From the menu "Select" choose "Transform Selection".

5. In your toolbar enter your desired angle in the "Horizontal Skew" box. You can keep adjusting this angle until correct. Make a note of this number.

6. When happy hit "Return" key.

7. Make sure you have correct colour in the foreground, and press "Alt-Backspace".

8. Press "Control-D" to deselect.

9. Go back to Step 2 and repeat. At Step 5 type in "-" and your number.

You should now have two Modexs at opposite Slants. Clicking on a layer while holding the "Control" key selects all pixels in that layer. So you should do so with each Modex and use the "Move" tool to manouvre each number.

HTH

Very nice Steve. I have a REvell Tomcat which I totally destroyed about a year ago when I thought modelling was taking a spoon full of glue and bathe the model in it. Have no fear though, being I'm new to this, it'll be my scrap model for my airbrush :stupid:.

I just have one quick question. It's a bit off topic, but I was hoping someone could help me out. When you're filling seams, do you just fill the seams of engines, intakes, andfuselage halves? For example, taking a look at your cockpit seat, there is a seam on the head rest, from the back at least. Should you fill that as well?

I'm asking because with one of my "test" kits, the instrument panel, doesn't touch the top where it rests. There is a little gap above the panel. Is that something that should be filled?

Thanks, and once again - G R E A T J O B . I could never see myself being able to do that in a hundred . . . better yet, a thousand years!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

John

Hi John-

First of all, thanks very much for the kind words!

Now, as to your question:

I just have one quick question. It's a bit off topic, but I was hoping someone could help me out. When you're filling seams, do you just fill the seams of engines, intakes, andfuselage halves?

I pretty much fill any seam that is going to be visible later. I see what you meant about the seat, but those seams have since been filled (and the seats painted). However, I've had to learn to economize my time to get things done - if I'm pretty sure that something won't be seen, I'll leave it unfilled, unless it's something structural that needs strength.

In the case of your model, this is a common problem with both the Academy and Revell F-14 kits, with the top of the instrument panel not touching the coaming. In this particular case, it's not so much seam filling as it is tweaking the fit. IF you're going to leave your canopy open, I'd try to fix it, as it will show up later. However, if you're closing the canopy, I wouldn't get too concerned about it.

Hope this helps, and once again, thanks very much for the kind words about my model! :stupid:

Steve -

No problem my fried. It deserves it.

Thank YOU for the help. I appreciate it. The only question that I could have to lead off of your response is, I plan on leaving canopies open, so in this case, you said it's not the matter of putty, but fixing. What does fixing mean in this sense?

Thank you much for your help.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Special thanks once again to Andy Mullen for his tip on reversing italics in Photoshop. Hopefully, in the next few days, the decal paper I ordered in the mail will arrive, and I can get this sheet printed.

Andy, thanks very much once again! I'd also like to offer my thanks to all of you for your kind words on this project - I really hope that this model will look great when it's finished.

Cheers,

Steve

• 3 months later...

Just a few more in-progress pics for tonight. As you may have guessed, I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it lately, but I have gotten a few things done today:

Engine fairings have been re-done with Milliput to represent accurate B/D fairings (excuse the sanding dust, please ;) )

27.jpg

I'm also scratchbuilding the bombracks. One is nearly done (minus the sway braces), while the other one is just started:

28.jpg

And finally, the tail nav lights are roughed in. I'll grind/polish them to shape later tonight:

29.jpg