Hasegawa NASA 747 + Shuttle

Hi Mike and Mig,thanks for the cone info!.I´ll put the cone on the kit,it was just an different idea but after considering it,it looks better with it on the orbiter.

Tony,it dives really fast!!

db6f7d22f34e76df814e3de3c5b5_grande.jpg

About the patch,found those early ones from the crew when flying the unpainted 747,they´re small pics,sorry

http://img69.imageshack.us/i/patch1b.jpg/

http://img696.imageshack.us/i/patch2t.jpg/

Thanks!

I.Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I just got my kit, thanks to my 747 Delta Pilot friend Jeff Thomsen. He hand carried it back for me. Thanks Jeff!!!

The first thing that blew me away was the decal sheet. As you saw in the one post, there is a lot of options for both shuttle and 747. This sheet is gorgeous - it looks like it was printed by Cartograph. The cream colored whites are gone - they're really white.

The detail of the shuttle is good, nice panel lines on the nose, wings and fin, just what I would expect in 1/200.

The 747 is the same as what's in all the airliner kits, but with the addition of the extra stabilizer fins and the shuttle mounts.

I would like to see some more detail photos of the mounts and reinforcing plates on the fuselage. Maybe we could ask Tony “Mr. Edwards†Landis to see what’s in his box of photos?

I’ll give this offering from Hasegawa “Two Thumbs Up†The in store price in Japan was $33.00. Who knows what it will be here in the states – if it even comes here at all. The box end is marked “Limited Edition†Knowing how Hasegawa markets, get’em while you can!

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I got mine the other day as well and agree with your comments.

Now as I hate the opened windows and the decal stripe of hasegawa built in windows, I decided to get the Draw decal sheet. Now the blues are different between the two sheets. Which one is right? I'll see if I can scan later.

Greetings all,

I just got my kit, thanks to my 747 Delta Pilot friend Jeff Thomsen. He hand carried it back for me. Thanks Jeff!!!

The first thing that blew me away was the decal sheet. As you saw in the one post, there is a lot of options for both shuttle and 747. This sheet is gorgeous - it looks like it was printed by Cartograph. The cream colored whites are gone - they're really white.

The detail of the shuttle is good, nice panel lines on the nose, wings and fin, just what I would expect in 1/200.

The 747 is the same as what's in all the airliner kits, but with the addition of the extra stabilizer fins and the shuttle mounts.

I would like to see some more detail photos of the mounts and reinforcing plates on the fuselage. Maybe we could ask Tony “Mr. Edwards†Landis to see what’s in his box of photos?

I’ll give this offering from Hasegawa “Two Thumbs Up†The in store price in Japan was $33.00. Who knows what it will be here in the states – if it even comes here at all. The box end is marked “Limited Edition†Knowing how Hasegawa markets, get’em while you can!

Tim

Hello Tim,thanks for the comment!.One question,the stabilizer fins are resin or plastic?.You´re really lucky,to save shipping costs is always Ok.My kit must be describing a big orbit from Japan because is taking longer than expected.

About the pics,that´s what I found,is not great thing but hope it can help.

2%2002%20747-SCA%20forward%20mount%20l.jpg

2%2003%20747-SCA%20rear%20mount%20l.jpg

Taken from this interesting web site http://www.air-and-space.com/Space%20Shutt...0Enterprise.htm

The reinforcered plates only can be seen on early metal finnished planes.

Thanks again!

I.Martin

Be aware that the struts changed a little over the years. For the ALT drop tests, the nose strut was a bit longer as this was done to help with the seperation manuever as Enterprise was pitched up at a little higher angle. When the change was made to ferry configuration, the nose strut was reduced in length for a lower drag configuration. By the late 1980s, things seemed to stabilize in the strut configuration and these days, both NASA 905 and 911 seem to have identical attachment struts.

Other things worth noting:

When NASA 905 was used for the ALT drop tests, it had a SATCOM antenna bulge behind the hump. Sometime after it ferried Columbia to KSC the first time, the SATCOM bump was removed as I don't recall seeing it on any of the ferry flights from operational shuttle missions. The Revell 1/144 747 has the bump, but I am not sure if the Hasegawa kit does as I've never owned a Hasegawa 747-100/200 kit. I won't be getting my example until the LHS gets it later this month. As such, it may need to be removed or added depending on which kit you use and depending on the era being represented.

For ferry flight TO California Palmdale for OMDP refits or back from Palmdale to KSC, the shuttle's forward RCS and OMS pods are removed and replaced with dummy units (unless there is a need to send them along as well). The dummy units are cleaner looking of course and the forward RCS module has no openings, just gray painted spots representing the thrusters. The dummy OMS pods have no black tile patches on the front. In fact, I believe in the early days of shuttle, Enterprise's dummy OMS pods were removed for transport use until they were replaced later on as I can remember seeing footage of the shuttle at Edwards in 1982 without OMS pods.

Enterprise had no operational units fitted at all, but the forward RCS module at least had shallow depressions where the thruster ports went to help represent the proper aerodynamic configuration in those spots on the drop tests. When shuttles are ferried back to KSC from Edwards (or White Sands in one case)at the conclusion of a mission the operational RCS units are left on for the trip as the hypergolic work is done at KSC and the flight units are stored there away from the orbiter while other prep work is done.

As for representing a model of Enterprise from the ALT tests with the tailcone off, it can be done, but the SSME and OMS engine bells are dummies. The OMS engine bells in the kit should work fine. But the dummy SSMEs on Enterprise have no ribbed external detailing on them. They are smooth. As such, that detail will need to be removed from any kit parts you plan to use. Enterprise as it currently appears at Udvar Hazy is fitted with the same dummy engine bells. I may have some pictures of them buried on my hard drive. If I can find them, I will post them.

As for the coloring of the blue stripe on the Hasegawa sheet, to my eye it looks too light blue in shade as it should be closer to almost a straight cyan shade (assuming the online image I see is of the decal sheet itself and not different artwork). HOWEVER, it looks like they got the coloring of the NASA meatballs on the orbiter correct as they printed these too dark in the Hubble shuttle kit release. While the proper color for NASA meatballs used on most of their aircraft is closer to an insignia blue shade, shuttle for some reason uses a more medium blue shade (which is weird because the blue paint used for the US flag on the orbiters looks like a proper insignia blue). Only reason I can think of for them doing it like this was for thermal control issues in orbit as too dark a color might cause hot spots on the wings.

Edited by Jay Chladek
.One question,the stabilizer fins are resin or plastic?.

2%2002%20747-SCA%20forward%20mount%20l.jpg

[

Hello !

The stabilizers are part of a plastic sprue, together with mounts and the tail cone.

Could any one tell us if the picture above was taken during the transformation as, later, there is a fairing at the base of the mount :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/NASA/Boeing...SCA)/1450118/M/

As Jay pointed out, there have been changes to the SCA 747's over the years, I'll try and cover the big ones. First some tech drawings to give the big picture...

SCA_Inboard_Profile_1.jpg

SCA_Inboard_Profile_2.jpg

SCA_fwd-1.jpg

SCA_fwd-2.jpg

SCA_Aft-1.jpg

SCA_Aft-2.jpg

This should cover the basics for the mods and mount points. Photos to follow shortly.

Tony

The forward mounting strut length was lengthened for ALT flights as Jay mentioned earlier and that is shown in the tech art. The aerodynamic fairing was also changed. For the ALT flights is looked like this...

SCA_fwd_mt-0.jpg

and was changed prior to use for ferry flights to this....

SCA_fwd_mt-3.jpg

SCA_fwd_mt-2.jpg

SCA_fwd_mt-1.jpg

On the early bare metal SCA this was all painted gray but was changed to white when the SCA's were repainted.

Tony

X-Plane Fan,

Thank you very much for these fine pictures and the details they provide, perfectly answering my question.

They will be very useful for modeling Hasegawa SCA and Shuttle.

Hasagawa's parts are meant to look like the most recent ones, though their tiny details do not really match.

Is it humour ? I like the note : Place Orbiter Here, Black Side Down.

One little thing if I may : Not everybody has a giant screen. Could you when you have some time, shrink them down so we can all enjoy them !

Thanks a lot for them.

Cheers.

AV O

Edited by AV O

I was standing in the water in Daytona, FL and I looked up and saw one of these guys with the Discovery on its back no more than 600 Feet off the ground barely moving along. I could see the pilots moving things around in the cockpit. I will remember that awesome sight for the rest of my life. Good luck with the build, what a great project.

One little thing if I may : Not everybody has a giant screen. Could you when you have some time, shrink them down so we can all enjoy them !

I agree with this. X-Plane Fan, can you can make those into links instead of inline images?

Technically they are just links since ARC doesn't host images. In most browsers you can just go to each image, right click the mouse and use 'Save As' to save the images to your computer.

Tony

I agree with this. X-Plane Fan, can you can make those into links instead of inline images?

The color listed on the Boeing paint schematic is 'Astro Blue-K5051, US Paint Lacquer & Chemical Co, St. Louis MO'. I'll take a pantone color chart out to the airplane tomorrow and get a more accurate description.

Tony

Any thoughts on which one is the correct shade of blue?

Thanks

Tony