1/72 Revell F-15E and Hobby Boss N/AW A-10A

I'll be building both of these kits at the same time and plan on displaying them together. The F-15E will be built as a normal F-15E, The N/AW A-10A will be built as a "What if" A-10E. Considering if the Airforce would have built the A-10B and the C would have gotton a D model. This A-10 would have been built for the purpose of working with F-15E's in the Close air support role. Well in my little world anyway.

The Hobby Boss kit is a pretty easy build and is missing some of the details that one would want in an A-10. I'll be using an Acadamy Kit that i got off ebay to fill in the needed parts. As for the F-15E i'll be using parts from two kits to complete my strike eagle. Revell for pretty much everything and the airfix kit for the hard points on the CFT's and a few random parts. I have model Technologies Canopy Detail set, Aires Cockpit set that i hope to fit in there and some other aftermarket parts i havent recieved in the mail yet.

All i have done so far is planned out the weapons load on both jets and assembled them and put the first coat of paint on them.

The A-10 will have 4 AGM-65, 4 GBU-12, 2 AIM-9L, LANTIRN navigation pot, LANTIRN targeting pod, ALQ-119, 2 drop tanks

The F-15E will have 5 GBU-10, 2 AIM-9L, 2 AMRAAM, 2 drop tanks

Well its a start anyway thanks for stopping by

1(1).jpg

2(1).jpg

3(1).jpg

Edited by jezones

Yeah I can't wait either. My nozzles for the F-15E came in the mail today. Looks like I'll be able to get them to fit with very little work. After the paint dried on the bombs I noticed some seems so I sanded them down, going to repaint them later tonight or tomorrow. Putting those super tiny fins on those Hasegawa GBU-12's was a pain in the carpet. Meaning most of them ended up in the carpet.

Can't really decide how I want to paint the A-10E. Could just do the standard gunship gray all over. Maybe a darker version of the euro 1 scheme, or go crazy and give it a digital scheme. Well I have plenty of time to figure that one out.

just did a really brave thing. I wanted to display the A-10 with its canopy open, well the hobby boss kit comes with a one piece canopy. well a few minutes later and now i have a four piece canopy. ive heard how hard it is to get replacment parts from hobbyboss, if this went wrong it might have been easier to just buy a whole new kit.

4(1).jpg

just did a really brave thing. I wanted to display the A-10 with its canopy open, well the hobby boss kit comes with a one piece canopy. well a few minutes later and now i have a four piece canopy. ive heard how hard it is to get replacment parts from hobbyboss, if this went wrong it might have been easier to just buy a whole new kit.

4(1).jpg

That was a very brave thing you did with cutting the canopy open especially without a replacement and also knowing HobbyBoss and how long it might take you to even get a response. Glad it worked out for you and can't wait to see how your "What If" turns out, thanks for showing!

Shawn M Posted Mar 9 2011, 10:20 AM

nice to see an A-10 N/AW in progress.

I have trumpeters 1/32 one to build.

Hey Shawn M, I did this kit about 6 years ago when my modeling skills were well let's say not so good. I have always wanted to build that kit again because I love the A-10, but money and well haven't even been able to find it anywhere, have inhibited be from redoing this one since my skills have climbed higher than they were 6 years ago! Can't wait to see yours being built someday!

Jeremy

P.S. Sorry Jezones didn't mean to highjack your thread with that comment to Shawn, but please don't keep us waiting for an update, cant wait to see more!

We'll been working on the payloads for both aircraft, 13 decals for a GBU-10 are you kidding me. I think my eyes are going to pop out and punch me in the jaw. Only have four GBU-12's and the external tanks left. Then i'll put another coat of futura and then flat coat them. I'm glad to have these done first because by the time i usually get to the bombs i've lost a little motivation in the project. Also my Aires nozzles and cockpit came in the mail. Also got some Eduard remove before flight tags and some more Eduard pte stuff. The nozzles look like they will fit with a little trimming, havent really tried the cockpit yet, i'm sure that will be fun getting in there. I also cut out the hole for the ladder on the A-10, I want to display itwith the ladder in the down position. I took the compartment, ladder and door from a donor acadamy kit. Thanks for stopping by

Mark

5(1).jpg

6.jpg

7(1).jpg

Edited by jezones

Well I got the weapons finished, they came out pretty good except some of the decals. I'll work more on them later. I've been working on the cockpits for the last week or more and think they are ready for the first layer of paint. The A-10's cockpit was supposed to be decals and very plain looking if done by the directions. I used the side consoles from the Revell F-15 kit and the control panels. I put eduard F-15E prepainted PTE on the Control panels. With a little trimming and sanding i was able to ket them to fit and look like they belong there. The rear seater will have two large displays at the top of his panel. The PTE stuff is going to be the death of my eyes and nerves. So very tiny in this scale. I'm going to have to fill in the gap at the front of the cockpit, seems the ARES kit is a little short for the revell F-15E. I also don't think i will be able to ket the side panels in there, i had to sand the sides down pretty thin just to get the cockpit in there. I'll give it a try anyway. Thanks for stopping by.

9(1).jpg

10(1).jpg

11(1).jpg

12(1).jpg

Yeah I'm leaning towards doing a digital scheme on the a-10. Been playing around with some schemes in Photoshop. It's going to be darker than the euro 1 scheme. I've already bought the paints just working on the scheme

Well vacations almost over... Got the cockpits done, probably a little fast than i should have done them. I thought they looked pretty good with my naked eye, but the camera shots they look really bad. Oh well I've never been good at small details. The Ares Cockpit was a real tuff fit. Had to do a lot of sanding, trimming and cutting but i got it in there. Had to cut the front wheel well i half depth wise. No one is going to see it any way. I think the next model I do I will stay away from trying to put as much detail. In this scale I think less can be more when it comes to a nice clean look. As far as the A-10 goes i got everything to fit in there along with duel joysticks for the WSO to control the bombs. Over all it they came out okay and look good from my eye. Guess the camera shots were real depressing. As always thanks for stopping by.

13(1).jpg

14(1).jpg

15(1).jpg

16(1).jpg

17(1).jpg

Well it's starting to look like an A-10. The hobbyboss kit went together really well and I really didn't have to sand or putty much. I have also tried my hand at making some engine covers for it. I used air dry clay to make the cover. I then made a mold from it and then made it out of resin. Overall i'm happy with the way they came out. Now I will attempt to make the rear covers. Thanks for looking.

Mark

18(2).jpg

19(1).jpg

20(1).jpg

21(1).jpg

22(1).jpg

23(1).jpg

got the scheme layed down on the A-10. Came out pretty good for my first try. The tape lifted up paint in some spots, i just touched them up with a brush. The more I look at it the more I like it. Hope ya'll enjoy it, thanks for stopping by.

Mark

25(1).jpg

27(1).jpg

26(1).jpg

Well the A-10 is almost complete, I have to finish up some details, touch up, and some odds and ends. The weathering came out pretty heavy for an Airforce bird, but i think it looks good dirty. Who wants a clean hog anyway? I Hope you enjoy the photoand this will be the last update for the hog. I'll put up a post in the critiques section when i get it finished.

28(1).jpg

Edited by jezones