Heavy Russian - Tupolev Tu-154m

My first dabble at airliners. I bought this kit in Russia, I have been a passenger on a few of these on the route St Peterburg to Moscow.

I just really like the looks of these tri-jets !

I didnt quite know how to approach it but it thought it best to cement in the windows and then apply filler and try to get it as smooth as possible.

This is how far I have got - quite a a few mistakes with the painwork, I tried to rescribe some of the panels but I was a bit to heavy with the panel scriber.

I painted with Mr Color - Character White (why is it called that?)

Mr Color Light Grey. The metallics are Alclad II - airframe aluminium for the jet intakes, the rest polished aluminium and some burnt metal for the engine thrust reverser buckets.

11March29_12.jpg

11March29_13.jpg

11March29_14.jpg

11March29_15.jpg

11March29_16.jpg

11March29_17.jpg

I typically build armour and a few military aircraft, so this was a real challenge, especially in terms of surface preperation. I will apply the gloss coats and decal very soon - I have some fantastic retro decals for this classic !

Any input very helpfull for me - as I am brand new to this ! But I have ordered a Hasegawa Embraer - for the next build :)

That's your first airliner!?!? WOW! Great job so far. That's a great kit to start with. If we'd had something like that 30 years ago we'd have thought we'd died and gone to heaven. You're off to a great start on the old Tupe. Keep us posted!

J

Big thanks guys - I can really see the attraction of airliners - but I am new to them and really have some problems for some reason.

I seem to be having some trouble with this now ! I tried to use BOA decals well I must have done something wrong as they just seemed to disintigrate !

I applied Tamiya Clear varnish from the can - well it does not seem to want to dry and harden - it is tacky/sticky in many areas. I was really surprised, I sprayed thin coats from the can - but this stuff seems to be reluctant.

In any case I have just put it away for a week for the varnish to harden, and also new decals are on the way - so fingers crossed !

cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

I can certainly share your pain - I've had problems with Tamiya Clear before and had the same results as you had - tacky and not drying anytime this century. To help fix your problem, put it into a cupboard in the kitchen for a couple of days. It's usually one of the warmest and driest places in a house.

Anyway, your TU-154 is looking really really good Mark. It certainly is a beautiful looking aircraft! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result

Hi Mark

I can certainly share your pain - I've had problems with Tamiya Clear before and had the same results as you had - tacky and not drying anytime this century. To help fix your problem, put it into a cupboard in the kitchen for a couple of days. It's usually one of the warmest and driest places in a house.

Anyway, your TU-154 is looking really really good Mark. It certainly is a beautiful looking aircraft! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result

Big thanks thats exactly what I have done - my wife advised me the same put it away or it will get worse ! The Clear has had a reaction with the alclad on the leading edges deicer boots also ! I have all the time used Johnsons Kleer or acrylic varnish and the one time I thought to get a high shine - turn to Tamiya products ! bad choice on my behalf. Im really surprised this happens.

I will back with this in a few days when that clear is hard ;)

cheers

Mark

Excellent job! And don't worry about being too harsh with the scriber, I've seen enough on the ramp to know that most Russian airliners are composed of a few hundred panels flying in close formation.

• 2 months later...

hey Mark

I know I'm resurrecting an 'old' thread but I saw a build of this in a modelling magazine today (can't remember the name for some reason - age I think) and it reminded me of your build. Did you ever finish it?

I'd love to see the end product as it's a beautiful aircraft and you never really see them on many sites.

Cheers

(edit: not actually 'old' but it hasn't been updated for a while)

Edited by The Madhatter