Oh well if I ever get some prop blurs maybe I'll cut off the props and add the blurs. But I'm not real upset about it since it was a throw together build. For whatever reason my airbrush didn't like the Tamiya Buff that I used to do the tan and it had a lot of overspray even on the smallest nozzle setting I could get with still paint coming out. I hope some of it goes away with the clear coat. I didn't want to mask the camo but apparently I should have. Again oh well. 2 out of 3 nice models is alright.

Lookin' good Kris! See, 1/72nd isn't so bad!!

Looking forward to the Audi build too. I've got one of those in the stash that I haven't touched yet.

-Dave

Yeah at some point I was going to comment that for 1/72nd these aren't all bad. I've got a F-15 and F-18 to do in 72nd so we'll see. I definitely prefer bigger as they are easier to work with but they also have the no room factor.

I may start on the Audi after I button these up. I'll have a wip in the non aircraft section.

I need to get motivated to tackle the diorama base for my Corsairs.

grrr

Looking real good Kris!

On your freehand camo job, I would say its either not thin enough paint and/or air pressure. I usually run about 2:1 and 15psi triggered. I'd say most likely a thinning issue though.

This was actually my first freehand camo job. I did have a bit of chasing colors to correct overspray on that too, so I'm no expert, but if remember correct, thinning was key.

023.jpg

Yeah I think so too. I think the paint was drying as it was coming out and therefore going everywhere. I couldn't spray it at any lower pressure so it was the paint. It may have been bad paint too idk. I've had that jar for a while.

Oh well. It will look ok when done. Usually clear coats hide a lot of overspray so we'll see.

Nip tucking various bits on each of them. Painting 1/72nd canopies by hand is a beach.

Completed pics of the Academy in the gallery. I left it with a satin finish cause I liked the look of it and subtly weathered it. Was disappointed I had to glue the canopy closed because it wouldn't fit in the slid back open position. It would have snapped if I had forced it. Nice kit overall. Not perfect but I'm happy with it.

P-47 got it's dull coat today so it's drying in the basement. After that all I have to do is weather it, add the bombs and canopy which are done, and it's done. For now it will just be a belly sitter till I decide how I want to mount it for flight. I have some pieces of petrified wood laying around think I might try n use one as a base.

The other P-40 is undergoing Future treatments still. Decals should go on tomorrow hopefully.

K

P-47's up!

Definitely happy with it.

Got the decals on the other P-40. Although I lost the eyes I have to look around. Or she may just not have eyes.

I'm terribly impatient so I'm always ahead of what I say I'll be.

K

Still hard at work although I'm nearly done with my triple build.

Threw the decals on the P-40. Was a mix of what was left from the Academy and the mouth and insignia from Sharkmouth. The plane doesn't technically exist but it's modeled after real planes. It looks cool in the ned and will compliment the P-47 in flight next to it when I get a base built.

DSCN2909.jpg

DSCN2910.jpg

DSCN2911.jpg

Those gotta be the worlds shortest landing gear! How does it have prop-ground clearance?!

Those canopies are hand painted?!

It's gonna be wheels up. Durrr!

Yes the canopies are hand painted. They look OK but if you look close they're not straight at all.

The P-47 canopy was real easy to paint though and turned out good.

• 3 months later...

Need some ideas for a base to mount these too. I have a large piece of petrified wood straight from the inlaws property in Arizona but after 4 drill bits and 3 different tools, including a drill press, I have come to realize it is undrillable. Researched online and the things needed to drill it I won't ever have so now I'm thinking of what else to use. I don't want to use a generic block of wood.

I'm thinking what would really be cool would be one of those old lamps that are mocked up as scenery. Like painted plaster or something. Just don't know where I'd find something like that.

Need some ideas for a base to mount these too. I have a large piece of petrified wood straight from the inlaws property in Arizona but after 4 drill bits and 3 different tools, including a drill press, I have come to realize it is undrillable. Researched online and the things needed to drill it I won't ever have so now I'm thinking of what else to use. I don't want to use a generic block of wood.

I'm thinking what would really be cool would be one of those old lamps that are mocked up as scenery. Like painted plaster or something. Just don't know where I'd find something like that.

I got a couple of "plaques" (?spelling) from Michaels for .99ea. They have a large variety of shapes and sizes (price varies slightly based on size). I got the mid-size ones for my 1/72 builds. I sanded 'em down real nice, put a coat of stain on them. I'm letting them cure out before I put a squadron badge decal on them then cover them with a self leveling clear coat designed for super high gloss fine furniture. That's one option.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a couple small wooden bases from Michael's yesterday. I wanted them on separate bases cause I want to take the P-47 to the Cleveland Model Show this weekend. This is my first attempt at mounting something with wire. It's kind of finicky and I think I'll have to glue the wires into the planes. Right now they're just slid in and it's hard to get the plane in the pose I want. The 47 wants to bank left but that's a nice pose for it so I'm leaving it for now.

DSCN3461.jpg

DSCN3462.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

That your sippy cup there on the table Kris?rofl.gif

Those are looking good. I like to put a tube inside the aircraft that the next size smaller tube can slid into which would be your stand wire. Even with that setup though, sometimes the plane can have a mind of it's own in creating it's own flight plan. I like the angles you get 'em set at anyway.

Looks good Kris. I really like the way the p-47 looks in that bank. Almost looks like it starting to dive in on a Tiger!

I do the same thing for bases, except I usually paint mine. I've got a large can of black automotive primer that I use for it. A couple coats of primer with some 320 grit sanding afterwards, and then a coat of gloss black and they really look nice. I've also started using clear acrylic rod instead of the wire. I really works well for jets, because you can put the acrylic rod in the exhast pipe. I've even seen guys paint the rod in clear colors to simulate an afterburner.

Here are a couple that I did with the acrylic rod and painted bases.

5176285311_64cabca62c_z.jpg

5176895926_8a670c0812_z.jpg

-Dave

Yeah I plan to probably stain the bases or something. But I just wanted to see how they'd be. I put the wire into the base with 5 min epoxy. I couldn't find any tubing at Michaels so for now they'll be what they are.

I also threw together a Star Wars dio like thing in the Sci-Fi section.

The sippy cup isn't mine but the crayons sure are. How else do you think I weather a model?

:rofl: