Sad thing is that Ace Combat: Assault Horizon was supposed to have come out back in February. There were even trailers for it back in Aug/Sept last year. And then it got pushed back to later this year. Glad I didn't put money on a pre-order back in September last year when I preordered COD: Black Ops.

Pass.

The cinematics look good and they have put together a very convincing trailer of cutscenes, but the action is purely arcade in nature and nothing at all like a flight sim IMO. No doubt changing the capabilities of the "boss fight" bad guy to be supernatural, deflecting all missiles, or taking 30 of them, or something along those lines.

I can't stand console "flight sims" because they're no more a flight sim than you might find in an arcade room where you put 50c into the slot to play it.

As for A-10 DCS I also find that one just as funny, but in the other extreme. Making a 1-to-1 relationship of button pushing is silly because the real thing you spend 5-10 years training in the same craft, memorizing every last detail by heart and knowing it all blindfolded.

I don't want to have to go through 200 motions to start flight. The minutae aren't interesting. What interests me is that the flight acts realistic, that the weapons are relatively realistic in damage/power, that the action is what would happen with real physics.

I don't really want to press 50 buttons to turn on radar, change modes, follow several targets, select a weapon, arm the weapon, lock the weapon on, fire the weapon, etc etc... when you can do it in 5 and still replicate the basic steps. I don't want total immersion because total immersion is boring. Flying 10 hours to drop 1 bomb. Or flying patrols 100% of the time never seeing an enemy to engage your entire career. Filing paperwork for 10 hours for every 1 hour of flight.

So games like A-10 DCS make me chuckle and shake my head at the same time. They pretend to be so realistic but are really not. They're just arbitrarily "complicated" for the sake of being complicated. That doesn't equate to "realistic" in my book.

The Ace Combat games have never been realistic but they are fun. I always liked them because they had actual in cockpit views and that made it somewhat realistic. Sure you can fire off 50 missiles and never run out of bullets but its what it's meant to be. An arcade style flight sim with pretty good graphics and flight characteristics.

I used to have the US Navy Fighters and Marine Fighters games back on my old old computer and those were pretty cool as far as flight sims went. You could up the realism to real life munition loads and it could also take you several hours to perform the mission due to flight time reloading etc.

It's a shame you cant play any of those old games now. I miss them.

Hey look, that guy has the Last Great American Video Game Console behind him ...

The Atari 2600 VCS ! :banana:

Gregg

Yeah, and his virginity behind that.

The trailer was nice. Adding flyable helos are a nice touch. The AC-130 with the Fulton Recovery System was odd though.

-Jeff

Pass.

The cinematics look good and they have put together a very convincing trailer of cutscenes, but the action is purely arcade in nature and nothing at all like a flight sim IMO. No doubt changing the capabilities of the "boss fight" bad guy to be supernatural, deflecting all missiles, or taking 30 of them, or something along those lines.

I can't stand console "flight sims" because they're no more a flight sim than you might find in an arcade room where you put 50c into the slot to play it.

The Ace Combat Series has never claimed to be a "Sim" ...

It actually did start out as an Arcade game called Air Combat ...

I've never taken it as "The Real Thing", just a fun game ...

I hope you don't take CoD or the like so seriously either ...

Gregg

The Ace Combat Series has never claimed to be a "Sim" ...

It actually did start out as an Arcade game called Air Combat ...

I've never taken it as "The Real Thing", just a fun game ...

I hope you don't take CoD or the like so seriously either ...

I get that it's not marketing itself as a "sim" (and that's a loose term there as well) but most folks consider it so and call it that. That tarnishes the real games out there (mostly PC) that make a real effort, IMO.

If it were a movie I'd most likely want to see it. I don't think I'd ever want to play it though.

P.S. CoD and the MW line are some of the worst ever. No realistic physics. All eyecandy. Makes for a good 10 minutes before the hackers take over (see MW2 for example) and makes good for a 1-time playthrough of the offline, but once you've seen the movies and the scripted sequences it has no replayability.

On the other hand I played Aces High for 10 years now, and devoted my time to a ton of FPS games with somewhat realistic ideals and goals. It's not just the looks. Gameplay and mechanics are far more important (as evidenced by the many Half-Life mods going strong on a totally hideous graphics engine up until HL2 was released. The core game code was just that good to allow folks to keep playing on bad graphics)

I get that it's not marketing itself as a "sim" (and that's a loose term there as well) but most folks consider it so and call it that. That tarnishes the real games out there (mostly PC) that make a real effort, IMO.

If it were a movie I'd most likely want to see it. I don't think I'd ever want to play it though.

P.S. CoD and the MW line are some of the worst ever. No realistic physics. All eyecandy. Makes for a good 10 minutes before the hackers take over (see MW2 for example) and makes good for a 1-time playthrough of the offline, but once you've seen the movies and the scripted sequences it has no replayability.

On the other hand I played Aces High for 10 years now, and devoted my time to a ton of FPS games with somewhat realistic ideals and goals. It's not just the looks. Gameplay and mechanics are far more important (as evidenced by the many Half-Life mods going strong on a totally hideous graphics engine up until HL2 was released. The core game code was just that good to allow folks to keep playing on bad graphics)

Well, I still play AC3: Electrosphere and that game came out on the original PlayStation well over ten years ago(1999/2000) ... I also still play AC04 for the PS2 and that came out in 2001 ... A great game is a great game ... If it's not for you, fine as is the Hard Core Sims are not for me ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

I have all the Ace Combat series and both PS3 and the Xbox HOTAS sets. The wait on this game has taken forever. I just hope that whatever format they go with, I can use one of my HOTAS sets for it because I am not buying another one. And I absolutely can fly worth spit with the stock thumb controller.

I know! Everything is so much better on the 360! Just ask this guy!

hug-xbox360.jpg

Sorry but not everything is better. Not when you have to deal with the horrible damned control playing a fighting game. I like fighting games but not nearly enough in my onw home to justify spending money on a fighting stick.

Sorry but not everything is better. Not when you have to deal with the horrible damned control playing a fighting game. I like fighting games but not nearly enough in my onw home to justify spending money on a fighting stick.

So get a Fight Pad ... I recommend the HORI Fighting Commander 3 ... >>> Clicky <<<

A good Arcade Stick can be bought for less than $100.00 these days and if you can spend a little more than that, a great one can be had ... Just shop around on ebay or Amazon Marketplace ... Or you can always go the DIY route ... You can get all of the needed parts here ...

>>> Lizard Lick <<<

HTH ...

Gregg

• 3 weeks later...