well, we all know how much of a pain it is to get a hold of tams thinner. i've been told you can use gunze thinner with tams acrylics. is this true or false? what other thinners are you using for your tam acrylics?

thanks for info!

I've used Testors acrylic thinner with Tamiya (actually, with every acrylic paint) without problems.

Well, except Tamiya Smoke. I've never been able to airbrush that well.

really? i was told their acrylic thinner doesn't work with tam acrylics. i have to give it a try. thanks!

Tamiya acrylic and Gunze Aqueous are compatible. I've been using either Tamiya acrylic thinner (X-20A) or denatured alcohol (a.k.a. methylated spirit) to thin both.

This is from a post over at Hyperscale, and while I still have plenty of Tamiya thinner left, I don't forsee buying anymore considering the information found in this post.

The Tamiya thinner is 99.711 % pure Isoproponal with trace elements of what our chemists called a fragrance additive.

Gunze thinner is:

40% MIBK

40% Isoproponal

10% Isobutanol

10% Diacetone Alcohol

Our company has a nationally certified finishing lab to verify all types of finishing we produce to ASTM and AAMA specifications. in 2007 we applied approx. 26.5 million linear feet of paint finishes ranging from polyesters to hybrid kynars. We also pre treat our paint with zinc chromate (Alodyne) Our anodizing division did over 16 million feet. Our lab is sampling chemicals and finishes daily.

For under 10 bucks at Rite-Aid, combine 5 bottles of 70 proof rubbing alcohol and 2 bottles of 99 proof rubbing alchohol. this will give you about a 91% solution.Keep the ratio at 5/2.

Personally I combine my Tamiya knock off thinner with my Gunze knock off. 50% of each. I am calling it "GUNZIMA". With our companies buying power, I was able to make 5 gallons for about $25.

Mike "Gunner" Witous

jmwitous@aol.com

and more on the subject:

It looks like Tamiya may be having issues importing their acrylic thinner. No problem - make your own. for 1/10th the price.

Here is the formula based on my company's paint lab.

97.8% 80% by volume Isopropyl Alchohol

3.1% Inert substance, possibly fragrance and a retarder

Here is how to make it:

One 32 OZ bottle of 91% Isopropyl alcohol and one bottle of 70 % Isopropyl Alcohol

(Buy it at Wallgreens for about $4.99 each)

Optional ingredients = 1 drop 'Old Spice or Brut" after shave and 2 drops paint retarder

Stirred not shaken

This will net you about 64 OZ of a dam near perfect match for about 1/10th the cost.

If you want to walk on the wild side, add 10 oz of lacquer thinner.

Mikey likes it.

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club

"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

Edited by blunce

This is from a post over at Hyperscale, and while I still have plenty of Tamiya thinner left, I don't forsee buying anymore considering the information found in this post.

and more on the subject:

Would liquitex Slow Dri work as the retarder? Really excellent stuff!!

Rob

"One 32 OZ bottle of 91% Isopropyl alcohol and one bottle of 70 % Isopropyl Alcohol

(Buy it at Wallgreens for about $4.99 each)

Optional ingredients = 1 drop 'Old Spice or Brut" after shave and 2 drops paint retarder "

What's product is used as a retarder?

Curt

Sorry guys, I'm just sharing a post that I found before. I'm not the author of that information. Mike's (author) email is in the first quote though, I suppose you can pose any questions direct to him.

I'm not sure why he has you mixing 70 with 99, since you can readily buy 91% off the shelf. As for the retarder, I think I read that someone was using a drop or two of dish soap.

I mix about 4 oz of 91% isopropyl alcholhol with a few drops of Liquitex Flo-aid retarder (found at Micheals craft stores and similar places) and get fantastic results - identical to X-20a i'n every way I can tell.

Go for it, you'll be glad you did.

I use it for Tamiya and Gunze acrylics.

In New Zealand Methylated spirits is colored purple. Will this color effect my paint if I use meth's as a thinner?

I've tried it, and it worked fine. I was using a little bit of ethanol that I'd scrounged, but it ran out so I needed an alternative. Meths was about $4 a litre at Countdown. I used it to thin the Tamiya paints & the Klear top coats on this:

DSCF1713.jpg

are you suppose to mix the 91 and 70 together? i got confused on that.

thanks

The lab results quoted said it is about 98% iso, and the iso itself was 80%. Hence mixing 91% and 70% gets pretty close 80%