United States Air Forces in Europe Group Build proposal

USAFE GB, a good idea?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. I will join a USAFE GB

• Sure
    • Meh... there's no Bf-109's in it, so no

I'll give it a try, does it have to be exactly those airframes?

If anyone else would like a personal banner, just post a pic of what you'd like here, and I'll see what I can do. Remember, the max banner size is 750x150, and your subject does have to fit inside that somewhat.

I'll give it a try, does it have to be exactly those airframes?

If anyone else would like a personal banner, just post a pic of what you'd like here, and I'll see what I can do. Remember, the max banner size is 750x150, and your subject does have to fit inside that somewhat.

Any airframe will do.

Would Keflavik based jets count in this GB?

Got a hankering to build another 57FS 'IS' F-15.

They were technically a First Air Force TAC asset but protecting the area known as the GIUK (Greenland,Iceland,United Kingdom) Gap from long range Soviet Bombers would have put them in middle of the action with other USAFE assets if the Cold War had turned hot.

If it doesnt qualify i can just go down the route of one of the other F-15 units

Cheers

Gary

Would Keflavik based jets count in this GB?

Got a hankering to build another 57FS 'IS' F-15.

They were technically a First Air Force TAC asset but protecting the area known as the GIUK (Greenland,Iceland,United Kingdom) Gap from long range Soviet Bombers would have put them in middle of the action with other USAFE assets if the Cold War had turned hot.

If it doesnt qualify i can just go down the route of one of the other F-15 units

Cheers

Gary

I agree with what Pete said, but I thought Iceland's position in the Unified Command Plan (ie which geographic or functional combatant commander was responsible for what area), was kinda interesting when I looked at it. Only recently was it part of USAFE.

Iceland's positon in the Unified Command Plan shifted several times.. As far as I can tell prior to 1983 it was actually part of CONAD, or Continental Air Defense Command (and its previous iterations like North East Command). It and Greenland were placed there because they possessed key radar and fighter installations that defended the Approaches to North America. However by the late 1970s there was a greater fear of Soviet penetration of the North Atlantic through the GIUK gap. So then it was transfered to CINCLANT (Atlantic Command) in 1983. This continued until 2002, when what was formally CINCLANT's responsibilities (now part of Joint Forces Command/Northern Command) were moved over to EUCOM and USAFE.

Edited by -Neu-

It's all good....i may just follow Pete's idea of the Artic/Antartic GB since the idea of Keflavik based aircraft have already been discussed on that thread.

I still have awhole bunch of Bitburg/Soesterberg/Spangdahlem/Lakenheath Eagles i want to build plus almost 30 1/48 F-15's in the stash so i'll find something......as usual the hard part is finding some spare time to hit the modeling bench

Was looking through the pile and I actually have an RF-4C from Zweibrücken in Hill and a Spangdahlem F-4E in Euro I. By chance does somebody have a nice photo of 69383 at Zweibrücken from around Desert Storm?

Here is one on Flicker but there should be some out in the public realm that could be made into a banner.

There's this one at Airfighters.com. The guy who took the pic is a member here on ARC and goes by the name of Sig Saur & Son. You could ask him for permission to use the pic in a banner.

Edited by Pete

So do we have a launch date for this GB then?

Got to spend acouple of hours at the modeling bench tonight and the pile of kits sitting in the corner of the room are screaming at me!.

Just this pile contains:

4x F-15E

4x F-15A/C

2x A-10

2x F-4E

2x F-4G

2x F-111

1x EF-111

1x F-16CJ

All 1/48,and thats without checking the main stash!

Gary