1/48 Revell F-101B Voodoo, New York Air Guard

Starting this one today.

Many firsts on this one...first modern jet, first white metal, and apart from bits and pieces in cockpits it will be my first PE challenge...

So, any advice, criticism and help under way will be VERY appreciated.

As usual, no progress so far!

IMG_0256.jpg

Will be made up as this bird from the NY ANG.

IMG_0260.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ken

I truly wish you well on your project - I too have this kit on the workbench, around 80% complete.

I am waiting on Two Mikes to issue their resin afterburner cans, other than decalling and some detail painting my bird is complete.

Rough spots: wings to fuselage is a bugger, I used tape to help hold the parts together and then several passes of Mr. Surfacer as gap filler. I also made extensive use of the 'Raised Panel Lines' and rivets from Archer Transfers to replace what was sanded off during assembly - these things are a life saver to me since my rescribing skills are not good (and I would not want to rescribe the whole thing anyhow) - cannot overestimate how great their products are.

I was going to mark my as a NYANG bird also but found a sheet by Leading Edge better so this will be my first Canuck bird.

Cheers and best wishes

I truly wish you well on your project - I too have this kit on the workbench, around 80% complete.

I am waiting on Two Mikes to issue their resin afterburner cans, other than decalling and some detail painting my bird is complete.

Rough spots: wings to fuselage is a bugger, I used tape to help hold the parts together and then several passes of Mr. Surfacer as gap filler. I also made extensive use of the 'Raised Panel Lines' and rivets from Archer Transfers to replace what was sanded off during assembly - these things are a life saver to me since my rescribing skills are not good (and I would not want to rescribe the whole thing anyhow) - cannot overestimate how great their products are.

I was going to mark my as a NYANG bird also but found a sheet by Leading Edge better so this will be my first Canuck bird.

Cheers and best wishes

The intakes and exhausts are almost ready for release! I am doing some test casts now.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks guys!

I have an article from FSM describing how to "fix" the intake/wing/fuselage fit problems, hopefully that will help me when the time comes.

The intake and exhaust from Two Mikes certainly sounds very interesting, I might just stall building until they are released. I guess I can still start the cockpit and such, but will wait with the rest.

And as a newbie to the jet planes....are intake/exhaust covers included by any chance???

Thanks again,

Ken

Awesome, will definitely pick those up.

Might be a dumb question, but are the covers drop-in like real life ones, or are they part of the build? If they are drop-in I can just finish the build and pick up the covers when the become available. But if there is sanding etc needed I'll have to wait.

The 101 sure is an awesome airplane!

Thanks.

Ken

Ken, I am also working on intake, exhaust and probe covers for the 101. Might be a little bit but they are coming.

Cheers

Mike

BTW, good luck with your kit. I love the 101!!

Hey mike, you are a visionary.

I´m waiting with my Canadian Voodoo, for your stuff. :thumbsup:

And I´m looking very closely at your build of, Helldiver :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Hey mike, you are a visionary.

I´m waiting with my Canadian Voodoo, for your stuff. :thumbsup:

And I´m looking very closely at your build of, Helldiver :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I have been called a lot of thing but a visionary is not one of them! LOL

Cheers.

Sorry for the hijack Helldiver.....get back to your build!! :thumbsup:

Major problems have been identified. Take your time with the long seam along the spine. If you work slowly at it, and go a bit at a time, you should be able to get a nice clean join without having to use too much filler. I didn't find the burner cans to be too horrible a fit but the issue is with the seam. If you play your card right and orient the cans so that the seams are on the top and bottom instead of being visible along the side, it's not too bad. I'm still gonna get a set of Mike's intakes and cans for my next Voodoo project though. Lots of nose weight required. The nose gear / wheel bay assembly can be a bit tricky. I also found that to display the plane with the canopy open was a bit of a pain so I closed it, but there was still a bit of a fit issue to get the main canopy to sit properly.

To those who plan on building a Canadian Voodoo, if you're not already aware, a couple of helpful tips. The 101's we had were not equipped with slime lights. The moulded in ones on the fuselage and vertical tail in the kit will have to be removed. We also deleted the NASA vent on the right under the cockpit near the nose wheel bay. The depression in the kit will have to be filled and sanded. There is a different kind of vent there. Also, the vents in the wings / intakes will have to be filled and sanded. The vents on the Cdn Voodoos were a different shape. However, the Leading Edge decals have decals for all these vents in the proper shape and they look quite convincing.

Hope this helps.

Mike

" The 101's we had were not equipped with slime lights"

The lone exception being the all black EF-101. http://www.f-101voodoo.com/index.php/CF-101B-F/EF-101B_Electric_Voodoo

Correct but they're not as pronounced as the moulded in versions as depicted in the kit. If one wanted to depict the Electric Voodoo, one would still have to sand off the overstated slime lights on the model and go with flush mounted ones.

Point taken though. All but one had no slime lights.

Thanks for all the input so far gents...keep it coming.

This is my progress so far.......

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Yea, not much.

Anyone have a good technique for sanding/scraping off the seat belts and the floor detail, as by Eduard instructions, without messing up the rest of the parts?

Ken

Before and After...

I bent the tip of my trusty hobby knife, and started cutting...

I made life easier by deciding to keep the radio and oxygen hoses, as well as the parachute support in the back of the seat.

Didn't come out too bad, but needs some more scraping on the right side.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Ken

Starting this one today.

Many firsts on this one...first modern jet, first white metal, and apart from bits and pieces in cockpits it will be my first PE challenge...

So, any advice, criticism and help under way will be VERY appreciated.

Will be made up as this bird from the NY ANG.

IMG_0260.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ken

I have a couple of shots of 59-0424 in my collection. I thought you might want to see them.

Here she is on July 6, 1981. Photo by Don McGarry:

59-0424July61981DonaldSMcGarry.jpg

And here she is a year earlier, approximately October 1980 at Tyndall AFB, photo by L.B. Sides:

59-0424TyndallAFBOct1980LBSides.jpg

Cool. How did you attach the seatbelts without getting glue everywhere? Even the tip of a toothpick carries too much glue for me.

Aaron

Hope this helps, Sir:

www.scalemodelworld.netshowthread.php?t=16699&highlight=basics

(Sorry, no idea why that isn't clickable...)

Also, the little vinyl toothpicks have a much finer point than wooden ones and don't seem to melt on contact with adhesives.

Edited by ChippyWho

Thanks a lot Scott. Those pictures are awesome, and a great help! I'm interested in any and all reference pictures you guys might have! Much appreciated!

Just a little progress so far. Started on the cockpit. So far all I've done is get the seatbelts off the seats, as well as remove some OOB stuff in the tub, and installing the PE replacements.

Ball point pen was very useful in this process.

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Ken