I'm trying to find an alternative to paying a lot of $ for the Waldron or any other expensive punch set. I've found these alternatives at Hobby Lobby and Harbor Freight.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/mini-punch-set-473157/

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

With a 40% off at Hobby Lobby and 20% off at HF, I'd have a large selection of punches for $10. I would mainly use these for wheel masks, some scratch building, and maybe for a 1/48 instrument panel. What do you guys (and gals) think? Any imput would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cameron

I'm trying to find an alternative to paying a lot of $ for the Waldron or any other expensive punch set. I've found these alternatives at Hobby Lobby and Harbor Freight.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/mini-punch-set-473157/

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

With a 40% off at Hobby Lobby and 20% off at HF, I'd have a large selection of punches for $10. I would mainly use these for wheel masks, some scratch building, and maybe for a 1/48 instrument panel. What do you guys (and gals) think? Any imput would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cameron

[/quote

Hi Cameron,

I'm coming out with a punch and die set after Xmas if you're interested. It will include 12 punches from .040" to .151" in approximately .010" increments. It will handle scratchbuilding and instrument panels in 1/48 scale very well, but is probably too small for wheel masks. You can see some of my other products on here if you search for "CB Model Products". If you're interested or have any questions you can contact me at cbmodelproducts@hotmail.com. The price will be $45 USD.

Chad Bowser

Edited by cbowser

What material are you going to use for puncher and what is the thickens of styrene sheet that you can use with your set?

BTW, very nice looking set, so I assume that the quality and manufacturing precision will be on the high level.

The punches and the metal die are both O-1 Tool Steel.

.030" styrene is the maximum thickness I would recommend. In my opinion once you go beyond that, I feel that you have to strike the punches too hard with the possibility of damaging something, the punches are also difficult to remove once they've punched through the material, and the thicker you go the punched disks have a tendency to squash in the middle and generally don't produce very good results.

Nice stuff. Even though I have both Waldron sets I'll definitely be picking one of these up.

Chad, do you have a site we can look at for other products as well? Do we just order via email?

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

Nice stuff. Even though I have both Waldron sets I'll definitely be picking one of these up.

Chad, do you have a site we can look at for other products as well? Do we just order via email?

Thanks,

Rob

No, I don't have a website. I just take orders thru email. I only have 2 other products, you can see them here if you just do a search for "CB Model Products".

• 3 weeks later...

No, I don't have a website. I just take orders thru email. I only have 2 other products, you can see them here if you just do a search for "CB Model Products".

any update on the punch and die sets?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I received my punch set yesterday; its exelent! I'm not a professional reviewer or anything but I started punching out circles soon as I got my hands on it and I could not be happier!

Well recended much better alternative then the MicroMark one.

I received my punch set yesterday; its exelent! I'm not a professional reviewer or anything but I started punching out circles soon as I got my hands on it and I could not be happier!

Well recended much better alternative then the MicroMark one.

How much was the punch set? Those of us on a tight budget would like to know.

Scott W.