Thinning MM Acryl with laquer thinner

Title of post says it all.

Obviously, it can be thinned with laquer thinner but will it be ruined by the thinner? I've had trouble on several occasions with MM Acryl not sticking to the model. I was wondering if thinning it with laquer thinner would help it stick to the model any better. The model will be primed with Tamiya primer, BTW.

Or, if I painted the primed surface with regular MM Acryl and then sprayed laquer thinner or a laquer gloss coat over the MM paint to help it "melt" into the primer would that be an option? Clearly these would have to be thin layers of laquer thinner.

Usually I avoid using MM Acryl but in this case they have some specific colors that I need and the subject will be getting alot of masking for a cammo scheme.

Thanks.

Here is what I do,but it doesnt mean that you should copy, just for thought. Shshhhhhhhhh. I use Krylon gray primer on my plastic. It drys quicker, less grainy,

costs about 3 dollars a can and does and excellent job priming my plastic. I usually shoot a thinned out (standard milky consistancy) acrylic.MM mostly and some Tamiya stuff. Its also a good base for Valejo model air paint. It bonds well with the plastic and doesnt have any adverse effects as far a I can see.

I may try the Wally World brand to see if it works as well and it is half the price as Krylon. I thin with Isopropyl 70% and add a little future also, Not much just a small dab.

So you're saying that the MM Acryl sticks well to the Krylon paint? I painted an F/A-18 last year with MM Acryl applied over a Tamiya primer and it seemed to work fine but I didn't need to mask it or anything like that.

Let me ask this: Has anyone sprayed MM Arcryl over Tamiya primer and had any adherence issues? This is my main concern.

So you're saying that the MM Acryl sticks well to the Krylon paint? I painted an F/A-18 last year with MM Acryl applied over a Tamiya primer and it seemed to work fine but I didn't need to mask it or anything like that.

Let me ask this: Has anyone sprayed MM Arcryl over Tamiya primer and had any adherence issues? This is my main concern.

I have never used the hobby type of primer. three dollars for .4 oz against 1 to 3 dollars for a large can, The Paint sticks well and I havent haqd any lifting as yet or any adverse effects to the plastic. I dont mix enamel with laquer or any of those thinners. I seldom use andything volitile for painting except maybe AlcladII or something like that.

You must have adequate ventilation, lots, inside or just spray it out side. If yu are conserned about that one issue I would suggest doing it on a old busted plane wing or something like that. This is a good way to find out issues before they eat your 80 dollar kit. Also it is a good way to keep in practice with pre and post shading,etc,etc,etc...

I dont pretend to know much about anything in this hobby but what IU do I always apply it to a junk piece of plastic before Igo anywhere elkse with it.

Paul

Edited by Paul W

Acryl will stick wonderfully to Flat Krylon or Tamiya primers. I never apply MM Acryl unless I have a flat enamel or lacquer primer underneath. The stuff just doesn't bond to plastic very well.

Remember this: LEA - Lacquer down first, Enamels over Lacquers, Acrylics over Enamels or Lacquers.

(You'll break this rule of thumb occasionally (for example Alclad lacquers over enamels or Future), but if you do, you need to be extremely careful and make sure base coats cure for at least 48 hours to be safe.

Edited by dmk0210

I've always used 91% isopropyl alcohol to thin MM Acryl paint and have never had any issues with tip drying or anything like that. Testor does market their own brand of thinner for their Acryl paint but at 7 bucks a bottle it isn't worth it to me. I've also always sprayed it over a layer of cheap store brand primer from a spray can and it has always stuck just fine.

In any event the original question still needs to be answered. Can MM Acryl be thinned with laquer thiner?

Lacquer thinner isn't really a universal thinner. I'm not sure why folks think they should thin everything with it.

I most often use Testors own thinner with Acryl, (but if that isn't available I use a combination of alcohol and distilled water), with a tiny bit of Liquitex Flow-aid and Liquitex Slo-dri added. The latter two help prevent the dry tip airbrush clogging issues

Edited by dmk0210

Lacquer thinner isn't really a universal thinner. I'm not sure why folks think they should thin everything with it.

Which folks are you talking about? I never implied that I thin everything with it nor have I heard anyone say that they do.

I think you are jumping to conclusions there.

I read somewhere that lacquer thinners work well with Tamiya acrylics, so today I tried it for the first time. It sprayed wonderfully, but then seemed to dry a bit pebbly in places. Don't know why that happened. I'll have to try again sometime.

So I sanded it down and reapplied with good old Humbrols and it seemed to do the trick. No matter what I do or use to thin the Tamiya paint, I can't seem to get a handle on it.

Cheers,

John

I have never found a reliably method for MM Acrylics lol! I really dislike them. I swear up and down over MM Enamels, but use Tamiya Acrylics... alcohol and a few drops of retarder, decent prep work and nooooo problems...

I swear up and down over MM Enamels, but use Tamiya Acrylics... alcohol and a few drops of retarder, decent prep work and nooooo problems...

Why are you using the Acrylics if you find MM enamels superior? Smell and toxicity?

Fly-n-hi,

Sounds like the problem you are having is related to adhesion.You're probably doing the best thing you can to assure adhesion of the finish coat which is priming your model.Lacquer based primer is aggressive enough to bond to the slick, not so "clean" plastic and the not so durable acrylic will bond to the cured primer a lot better than the bare plastic.

For what it's worth I have never used lacquer thinner to thin acrylics.MM Acryl is water based so people usually use a water based/ water compatable solution to thin acrylics. Lacquer thinner is used more for thinning enamels,lacquers and clean up.

For thinning acrylics people use everything under the sun from distilled water, rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, windex,name brand acrylic thinner,etc.People also use addatives such as Liquitex's Flow Aid.When spraying Model Master,Polly Scale, or Tamiya Acrylics, I use Tamiya's brand acrylic thinner.It's expensive but until I have time to experiment and find an alternative it works.I usually use Windex to clean everything up afterwards.

If your concerned about pulling up the finish coat as you do your camoflage try masking with lower tack alternatives like Blue-Tac snakes,foam weatherstripping, or try to freehand as much camo as you can.Sealing it all under a clear coat will add to the durability of the finish.

Hope this helps,

Jim S

Edited by Jim S

I use Mr Color leveling thinner with MM Acryl and have great results. I don't have nearly as many problems with dry tip and more importantly it goes down incredibly smooth. I use it over Tamiya paint (XF-19) used as a primer and don't have any issues with it lifting.

Why are you using the Acrylics if you find MM enamels superior? Smell and toxicity?

I don't find them superior, just easier. Enamels are really no problem, add a little thinner... spray away, no adhesion issues... never turn to a yogurt like goo on the end of your airbrush... I love them really. I use the acrylics for a few reasons... (a) Guilt-ed by the masses (B) I find the paint finish nicer © allows me to use enamels as washes, which I really, really like.