Ruslan in 1/72

Great! Thanks Ken

Uh... don't really know the difference, but I assume polyester resin is the "normal" resin...

Anyway, we'll have to see the sprues (well... the parts in fact) to see if it's really that good or if the modeller was THAT good, but the model seems very nice, with good detail and shape...

Kit contents' photos have been posted on hobbyterra.com. Looks like same fiberglass resin wings and fuselage, complemented with 41(!) short run sprues and metal tubing for landing gear. Can be yours for only 420 USD :rolleyes:

Edited by K-5
  • 2 weeks later...

Proper 'Sprue' shots now on Scalemodels.ru.......

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/5388-obzor-ModelSvit-1-72-an-124-100-ruslan---bylinnyjj-bogatyr.html

Looks like there are FIVE choices of markings.... on the decal sheet.....

Ken

Somebody bit a bullet, err howitzer shell already. Plastic molds look a lot better than A-model ones, even though they came from same cutter.

I'm out, this kit is just too big. I'd rather wait for their Tu-144.

Uh... don't really know the difference, but I assume polyester resin is the "normal" resin...

Polyester is just an alternative to epoxy for fiberglass moulding. Basically its a bit cheaper, goes off faster, and smells worse.

$378 on the Armory website.

Ken

Interesting (in fact it out of stock in both for now, but it doesn't matter).

By the way... for us europeans, there's also another fact when dealing with non EU hobby shops.... ehr... how they ship... if they send it via registered mail telling the value on the box...... VAT!!! (Value added taxes), which means al least 20% more costs, custom duties, blah blah blah... I once got an order from the good old Aviation Usk and to finally get the parcel I had to pay the double!

I got my 2 in from Hobby Terra yesterday. Yes, 2, I just won't eat for a few months. Or have electricity. And walk to work. :) Anyway, both in the same box, are HEAVY. Just looking them over in the box, detail looks good. The wings and fuselage isn't fiberglass, and appears to be polyester resin. yet molded in one piece, save the open nose. There's a huge pile of injected plastic parts that the gray color and feel remind me of the Pioneer 2 Flagon kit plastic. I haven't dug out my Anigrand C-5 to see how it compares weight - wise, but I think the An-124 is heavier. If their Tu-144 or An-225 will come along soon, I'll be happy, except for paying for them, but it's only money.....

• 3 months later...

Just received my kit from ModelsUA. Gives a clear impression of cockpit, engines and landing gear models held in formation by acres of glass fibre.

Excellent packing, with all the composite components individually wrapped in cling film, and then bubblewrap. All the sprue bags separately bubblewrapped, and all the remaining space filled as well, and then the entire box encased in yet more bubble wrap and a stout packing carton. So little chance of damage from even the most ham-handed postal service short of running it through a crusher.

Definitely at the top end of Amonster quality.

Looking at the sprues, the nose gear bay is just a rudimentary suport for the two nose legs (but you cannot see much anyway), but the sprue includes unused parts for the screw jacks that are used to tilt the nose landing gear to drop the nose of the aircraft, and the trunnions that hold the legs to the underfloor structure. Two alternative jacks are provided for each leg, for the horizontal and vertical positions. The main gear will also accommodate the 'kneeling' position. So there would seem to be an intent/opportunity to provide a later option for the interior so that the model can be posed with the nose door open.

Only problem is that I will have to clear the modelling bench completely to do final assembly......

Howard