P-40 wreck

KursadA, on 03 May 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

The Egyptian army is clearly doing a brilliant job of protecting the wreck.

Unfortunately, I think the Egyptian army might have bigger rats to kill at this time. That said, I hope someone can recover it before it gets vandalized.

Edited by Reddog-03

Is it just me or does the aircraft seem to bounce as he's walking up to it? Something seems off.

Something with the lens. Or....

IT IZ ZE PHOTOZHOPZ! :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does the aircraft seem to bounce as he's walking up to it? Something seems off.

Jeez,he's walking over broken ground pointing a camera.

You've seen these photos I assume.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/357/language/en-CA/Original-Kittyhawk-HS-B-Discovered.aspx

The most likely candidate was suggested by Terry McGrady some time ago. It seems that this aircraft attempted an emergency landing with gear down which makes his suggestion a strong candidate in my opinion.

"On 28th June 1942 ET574 piloted by Flt Sgt D.C.H. Copping 785025 left 260 to fly to an RSU. The A/C flew with the U/C locked down owing to damage.

Flt Sgt Copping set the wrong course and was thought to have crashed in the Desert owing to fuel exhaustion . FLt Sgt Copping listed as missing on this day .

I'm not saying that this was the A/C concerned , but it MIGHT have been"

My italics.

If that's right then Copping presumably perished in the desert.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stona
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any news on the recovery efforts of this aircraft, or if there's anything left of it by now?

BTW, the aircraft can be seen in this Yahoo map of the area. For a grim scenario of what the pilot's situation was, zoom out one click at a time. He literally landed in the middle of nowhere. :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

While there hasn't been official confirmation, an Italian/Egyptian search team has found what may prove to be the mortal remains of Flt Sgt Copping. Let's hope he can be returned home at last.

The site Italian/Arabic. Scroll down and click on "English" below the pic for a .pdf with and account of the search in English.

Search for Copping

SN

Edited by Steve N

Any news on the recovery efforts of this aircraft, or if there's anything left of it by now?

BTW, the aircraft can be seen in this Yahoo map of the area. For a grim scenario of what the pilot's situation was, zoom out one click at a time. He literally landed in the middle of nowhere. :salute:

Looks to be about 300 miles from the nearest (2012) population centre (just down from the river delta). In WWII, probably farther?

Marc B.

Without looking it up, I recall that they said in 1942 the nearest water was over 200 miles away. He was basically dead the moment he touched down, and likely new it. His only hope was to start walking with the slim chance that he might run into some "locals," but obviously since his plane remained undisturbed for 70 years the area isn't exactly well-travelled. The search article mentions that some outfit was charging tourists 80 Euros for a visit to the plane, and they obviously couldn't resist leaving their "mark." I wonder if the ongoing vandalism is the result of lingering anti-colonial sentiments among the Arabs, or just idiots who can't resist smashing things because they can.

SN

Without looking it up, I recall that they said in 1942 the nearest water was over 200 miles away. He was basically dead the moment he touched down, and likely new it. His only hope was to start walking with the slim chance that he might run into some "locals," but obviously since his plane remained undisturbed for 70 years the area isn't exactly well-travelled. The search article mentions that some outfit was charging tourists 80 Euros for a visit to the plane, and they obviously couldn't resist leaving their "mark." I wonder if the ongoing vandalism is the result of lingering anti-colonial sentiments among the Arabs, or just idiots who can't resist smashing things because they can.

SN

Whatever it is there is a total lack of knowledge or repect for what it is, a very rare artifact.