Testors B-2 Spirit

Hi Guys,

I started this in the jet section but thought I'd better move over here to the in progress:

Well I made a start today. I went to the local electronics shop and got everything I needed for the LED's, then spent the next hour trying to figure out how to get it all working.

Managed to get it all going in the end and made a start on the cockpit. First I cut out holes for the wires in the cockpit floor in an inconspicuous area so I can feed the green LED's into the instrument panel and extended the floor:

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

Got all the lights working, Two green and two white:

IMG_0904.jpg

Test fitted:

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

Once that was all done, I moved on to detailing the rest of the cockpit. I haven't got any reference material yet and couldn't even find one photo on the internet of the rear section of the flight deck, all the photos I've found have been taken from between the seats looking out.

I have no imagination so took inspiration from someone elses build that you guys put me on to. I hope he doesn't mind, I'm going with the "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" line.

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Diamond plate on the floor is left overs from my truck build. It's not the right scale but I just used it to have some texture on the floor so it didn't look too plain.

I got the cockpit finished and wired up today:

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

And test fitted it all into the fuselage:

Lights off:

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Lights on:

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

The white lights are permanently mounted but the greens were just sitting in place, that's why one looks brighter than the other.

Hopefully not much, didn't test that first. haha. I did line the areas where the LED's are mounted with aluminum foil to try and reflect light into the cockpit so hopefully that'll act sort of like a heat sheild. I can't really see a time where they'll be left on long enough to get that hot anyway.

Going by the guy at the electronics shop I didn't need a resistor as they are running off just a watch battery so doesn't have enough current to warrant one. And by using a small battery the whole unit fits into the bomb bay, so I'll either hinge the bomb bay door so I can get into it to turn it on or attach it with magnets. Either way, it will be invisible when it's on display.

Looking at the photos though, the big holes in the seats are bugging me. They'll have to be fixed before I close it up

I was hoping you would say that.... Otherwise it's a pretty cool build. I built this kit for my son last year. It was my first build and I'm surprised that it got me into modelling and not running away from it :blink:

I personally didn't think the kit was terrible, but that was when seams and stuff didn't bother me too much <_< I think with some care, when it comes to sanding and filling, It will be a good looking build....

Good luck,

/Jesse

I would use a resistor with led's no matter what battery was used. It would suck to have your model together and one of them burn out. Also you should use heat shrink or at least electrical tape to cover the exposed wire. Masking tape tends to dry out over time and fall off. Also did you solder the wires to the led's or just twitst them. If your installing LED's in a place you will not have access to once completed it's best to solder them.

Just a small update tonight.

I got the tops and bottoms attached tonight. There is going to be quite a bit of work to get them smooth but it doesn't look as bad as the horror stories I've heard about. I haven't tried dry fitting the two halves yet so I'll probably have to eat my words.

You can also see the excellent detail in the landing gear bays too.

IMG_09492.jpg

IMG_09482.jpg

IMG_09462.jpg

IMG_09452.jpg

Looking at the photos though, the big holes in the seats are bugging me. They'll have to be fixed before I close it up

Not trying to be critical but that is a good call. This is a fantastic build but those ejector pin marks on the ejector seats are hard to ignore. You have done great work on the big stuff, don't let a little thing like that bug ya forever! LOL

I started the initial sanding to get rid of all the raised panel lines and dry fitted the two halves together. The fit is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. It will need quite a bit of filling but everything seems to be aligned alright.

here's some pics of the fit:

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

There are a few hollows and depressions that showed up during sanding that will need to be filled too:

IMG_0957.jpg

Top wing seams sanded don't look too bad:

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

Well, day one of sanding is over, and all I've got to show for it is more filler. I've used almost half a tube of Tamiya filler and all I've filled is the hollows in the plastic and the wing joins on the top and bottom. The two halves aren't even together yet. I'll paint the intakes tomorrow and fit them too so I can fill the edges there too as I'm doing the rest.

Here's the results of two days of filling and sanding, Still a long way to go but it's slowly getting there. I decided to fit the cockpit glass before I joined the halves together as I've seen a couple of other builds where the builders have had to take it back out as they got sanding dust behind it. At least this way I can clean it up as I go and don't get any surprises later.

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

all the hollows in the plastic have been taken care of:

IMG_0964.jpg

And I fixed the seats and my jammy dog masking tape arrived so I made a couple of simple belts:

IMG_0965.jpg

Lights on:

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

Thanks guys.

I got the two halves closed up tonight. Now the fun is really going to begin, I thought I used a lot of filler before :bandhead2:

It's going to be a big job getting this thing ready for painting but I still think it's do-able.

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

getting there slowly but surely. you guys were all right, the amount of filling and sanding required has been unbelievable but I've finally got a coat of primer on it.

Only to show up the areas where it will need MORE filler.

I've already used a whole tube of Tamiya filler. The seam of the top and bottom halves has been by far the worst but I've managed to get it under control. That still needs a bit of touching up and the joins of the intake parts needs a bit more filling.

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg