Hasegawa Horent/Super Hornet

I love Navy modern jets, I found a couple Hornets and Super Hornet Hasegawa kits for $50 each at a vendors meet and wanted some feed back on aftermarket detail sets:

Exhaust:

- Aires, are they nice and how is the fit?

Wheels:

- Any company offer these?

Cockpit:

- Aires, nice?...fit good?

- I have heard there is different ejection seats for late model C/D's and E/F/G, is this true? Does the Aires sets have the correct ejection seats for early and late C/D\s?

Intake Covers:

- Steel Beach, are they worth it or better to make your own?

Weapons Pods:

- Well known these kits don't provide many weapons, rails, adaptors, pods, ect for sure the legacy hornets, I don't have access to Hasegawa Weapon sets, am I better to purchase cheap Hobby Boss Hornet kits and swipe the weapons, pods, etc?

Decals:

- best company for nice decal sheets?

Thanks so much.

Hi, I don't know exactly for the Hornet but Aires make the best resin cockpits and resin aftermarket kits. So with Aires you can't go wrong. The fit is not one of the best, but with a dremel and some patience you can fit it very well.

For the wheels look at Wheeliand and Royal Resin.

I think Steel Beach have some good resin pods. Eduard have Brassin Sidewinders and Sparrows, L'arsenal make some GBU bomb too.

As for the decals, I can recommend FighterTown Decals, they have a couple of nice sheet for the Bug/Sueper Bug

Bye,

Sandro

Afterburner decals has some nice Super Hornet sheets. Cannot go wrong with them or Fightertown decals!

Aires is Czech for 'doesn't fit,' but with a little work you will get there and be rewarded with a superbly detailed cockpit.

Quite honestly, it might be better to pick a scheme and then find out from the experts here what production block you are dealing with. That will ensure your details are correct. However, I'm sure there are some basic things you can get started on.

Also, if you don't want to splurge on cockpits, resin ejection seats add a lot of pizazz for the price!

Edited by Shawn C.

I am referring to 1/48th scale but I have noticed the Academy 1/32 kit has the IFF Antenna and why does the Hasegawa Legacy Hornet kits not have these?

Because the Academy kit is much newer than the Hasegawa molds, as well as being more detailed.

A pity Academy's never done a 1/48th tool for their legacy Hornet (they did scale it down to 1/72, and as an added bonus they add proper A tails in their A and Foreign Service boxings).

I am referring to 1/48th scale but I have noticed the Academy 1/32 kit has the IFF Antenna and why does the Hasegawa Legacy Hornet kits not have these?

Some of the later boxings of the 1/48 Hasegawa Hornets do have updated parts. New IFF antennae, GPS dot, and swept back antennae are located on sprue M. In addition, the under-intake dual chaff/flare buckets are included too.

Speaking for the Super Hornet

Cockpit Set:

You could try the Wolfpack Design one. Not sure about fit, but it has the ACS panel. If you're building an older model, go Aries.

Exhaust:

Olimp Models make a pretty good one by all accounts.

Wheels:

Royale Resin without a doubt.

Decals:

As the others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with Afterburner or Fighter Town.

I have recent experience with the Aires wheel bays for the legacy hornet. Size wise, they were okay, but removing the kit molded wheel bays and getting the aires one to fit were a PITA. The nose gear bay was even more trouble because of the tight quarters of the nose. The detail was excellent and once they were in the look great, but unless you are going to display the model upside down (like I am :) )I wouldn't go through the effort.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with the Aires super hornet wheel bays, but everything I have read says they are 1/8" undersized. I would avoid them.

Another thing worth mentioning is seemless intakes or intake covers are a must for the Hasegawa legacy hornets. The kits only molds about 1" of intake trunk and it terminates with an open hole, no fan or anything. Others have discussed the intake covers (I usually make my own) but options for intakes are limited. Seemless suckers did one but they are OOP and can only be found on eBay. Serra Hotel models has been advertising a releasing a set for a while, but they have yet to offically release them. The only other option is the controverial "Rhinomodels" sets found on eBay. Without getting into the controversy of his busniess, I found the Rhinomodel intakes to be very nice and fit quite well. A bonus is they are molded in white so don't require painting.

Edited by graves_09