1/24 Gemini with Rogallo wing

I'll be repopulating this older thread with images

The Gemini program from the 1960's explored the use of a kite wing for landing on solid ground.

Here's an illustration from a 1964 National Geographic showing the proposed procedure.

2v2JUEwMVxAnAAS.jpg

I was gonna use a 1/48 Revell Gemini and realized that I had a 1/24 kit, which I had previously cannibalized and it was missing a nose cap and RCS section. So I thought I'd see if I could build it up with landing skids and a wing.

Here are the parts. I had to rip the model apart because it was an ebay find 4 or 5 years ago and it was built really badly ... it reminded me of my build of this kit all those many, many years ago. ( ... but at least I didn't put the decals on upside down ... )

2v2JUJAj8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJA5vxAnAAS.jpg

The little 1/48 was used to figger out where the landing gear doors would be and then cut 'em out.

2v2JUJAh2xAnAAS.jpg

And using Dymo tape as a guide, I cut 'em out ...

2v2JUJAG8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJAgrxAnAAS.jpg

The lines of the Rogallo wing are in a channel on the spacecraft's centreline, so I need to cut it out too. You can just see an indication of the channel that were on the kit.

2v2JUJAFoxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJAd2xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJAzoxAnAAS.jpg

And because there wasn't a kit part for the RCS section, I had a piece of ABS plumbing pipe that was the right diameter, so I guess I'll use that.

2v2JUJA8MxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJtCFxAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete
replaced images

Just to give you an idea as to how badly I damaged the model when I tore it apart. I put it in the freezer over night, with a dram of water in a ziplock baggie and next day, just pried it apart. It wasn't pretty.

2v2JUJtnWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJscWxAnAAS.jpg

I need to build the landing gear bay and need to saw a part of the crew compartment to make an allowance.

2v2JUJtgyxAnAAS.jpg

Then put in the side walls and the back ...

2v2JUJY6NxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJ7ZgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJ7GqxAnAAS.jpg

So far ... so good ... not too bad for just a couple days effort.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Thanx Jay. The wing will be 1/2" o.d. styrene tubes and the support wires will be piano wire. And I'm only at the thinking stage of the display, but I'm leaning toward having it suspended, like Gordo's on the Yahoo group.

The Rogallo wing itself will be painted per the National Geographic illustration.

... and I'm curious to see if this model CAN be salvaged too.

As I recall, there was a Regallo test bed Gemini built as well. I don't believe they did an all up test with it, but the coloring of the capsule was unique as it was a gray shade with black USA lettering instead of a typical blue/black Gemini (as we saw with the flight articles). I can see why the project was scrapped, but it would have been very cool if they made it work considering NASA wouldn't have needed to rent the US Navy anytime they wanted to recover one of these. I figure if the Air Force had gone ahead with an operational MOL, landing a Gemini on land after one of those missions also would have been appealing for secrecy purposes.

As I recall, there was a Regallo test bed Gemini built as well. I don't believe they did an all up test with it, but the coloring of the capsule was unique as it was a gray shade with black USA lettering instead of a typical blue/black Gemini (as we saw with the flight articles). I can see why the project was scrapped, but it would have been very cool if they made it work considering NASA wouldn't have needed to rent the US Navy anytime they wanted to recover one of these. I figure if the Air Force had gone ahead with an operational MOL, landing a Gemini on land after one of those missions also would have been appealing for secrecy purposes.

I read on that NASA pdf document that there were all-l-l kinds of problems with this wing concept in the testing phase. Lines got tangled, the 'chute' didn't deploy properly and if it did, it didn't retain any pressure in the inflatable 'chute' and way more ... And only after the project was cancelled did test results improve and remain consistent. Ain't it always the way ...

And I've only just started researching this and have only seen the red and white El Kabong ( that sounds like a new handle! :coolio: )

Hiya Blap!

The 'fabric', I think, will be plastic grocery bag. I love the way it takes paint and mainly the way it looks on a model.

The landing gear, both left and right, needs to be built, so with a little aluminum tube and styrene and a spring from a pen ... and here's my reference ...

2v2JUav4VxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUavGhxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJsY5xAnAAS.jpg

And the new RCS section. The exterior is done except for a little more finish sanding, but the entire nose gear and electronix needs to be built and fit inside it.

2v2JUJkFdxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJk8MxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJijFxAnAAS.jpg

One edge had to be bevelled to fit onto the crew module.

2v2JUJk5NxAnAAS.jpg

Still a long way to go, but it sure is fun!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Dude, your real space builds are always fantastic. And you seem to complete them so quickly.Just by looking at the landing gear you're fabricating,this one already looks like another winner. Did I mention I hate you....just kidding, Pete. Keep the good stuff coming.

Hi Pete,

I'm again and again hardly impressed and amazed at your scratch architecture, sorry, are you a Magician, or but a Witcher? :woot.gif::woot.gif: :woot.gif:

I can only say: :jaw-dropping: Incredible, great work, well done. :worship: :worship: :worship:

:wave:

Reference photos are few and far between for the landing gear, but I'm trying to build them realistically ...

The Main Gear was just a little too long, by a 1/2", so I had to shorten 'em. Here's one before and one after.

2v2JUJmcMxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJmtrxAnAAS.jpg

... dry fit

2v2JUJsBFxAnAAS.jpg

And my Nose gear parts. I'm using Aluminum tube and styrene. The torque links are scratchbuilt.

2v2JUJDjyxAnAAS.jpg

Here's the parts and the 1/48 kit part I used for a little reference too.

2v2JUJ4oGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJDVrxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJDC8xAnAAS.jpg

I've kept the skid posable.

2v2JUJDqgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJDdGxAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete

The RCS section got some attention too.

For the inside diameter, I wrapped a length of .040 styrene, cut out a circle and glued 'em in.

2v2JUJ4r5xAnAAS.jpg

Then I added some "greeblies" trying to keep a modicum of accuracy per the reference photo.

2v2JUJmyyxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJmNNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJmjGxAnAAS.jpg

... and with the Nose gear dry fit. There's still a few details left to do, but it's coming along very nicely.

2v2JUJmRMxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJmszxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for the comments and for looking in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Thanx guys! Your comments are good to hear ... er, um ... I mean read!

I got the three cabin sections together and, typical of this kit, there were gaps galore! Using little .020" and .040" styrene strip and some Tamiya filler, I tried to fill and smooth those gaps out.

2v2JUJTDjxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJTsyxAnAAS.jpg

There was a huge 'ding' taken outta the heat shield when I broke it all apart, and with a little dab of Milliput, all filled.

2v2JUJTh5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJTCNxAnAAS.jpg

To make the white channel in the crew capsule I backed the gap with a piece of .040 styrene. You can also see the channels under the crew hatch openings for the "parachute's" lines.

2v2JUJT9jxAnAAS.jpg

The channel in the RCS section was made as well.

2v2JUJT48xAnAAS.jpg

The nose gear skid has an upturned forward portion and I made that with a piece of .020 styrene.

2v2JUJVbdxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJVwjxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJV15xAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete

On the top of the Nose Gear strut is what I think is the spool / guide for the forward "parachute" line. I wanted to try to make it from aluminum sheet from a printer. It's a used one from a printing press.

I made a few paper patterns for the housing and a few spools from styrene tube. To trace the pattern onto the aluminum, I put down a couple strips of Scotch tape, drew on it and cut it up.

The spool itself is styrene tube and the grooves are simulated with fine copper wire wrapped around it and secured with CA adhesive.

2v2JUJVLzxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUJVW2xAnAAS.jpg

I also had to change the angle of the Nose gear so had to readjust its mounting bracket in the RCS.

2v2JUJS9MxAnAAS.jpg

... and dry fit ...

2v2JUJSE2xAnAAS.jpg

For paint colour of the crew capsule, I looked at Phil Smith's ( Astrazoic ) 1/12 Mercury model. He built the outstanding Space Shuttle and his Mercury is just as spectacular! He used Tamiya Metallizer paints in a spray can and I wonder if any of my fellow Canadians can recommend an online retailer. I'm assuming that these will not go thru the border easily ...

Thanx very much gents ... for your comments and for looking in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Hey Pete, a metalizer approach might look cool. But if you look at the real Gemini and Mercury articles, the Rene 41 alloy shingles have NO metallic sheen to them whatsoever. They are a dull blue black color and that is the color of the metal, not the paint. Unflown examples naturally look a bit more blue than black while examples that have come through the fire of reentry tend to look more of a sooty gray black.

A paint approach which I tested once and which I plan to use on my Mercury and Gemini builds (of craft in orbit and launch vehicles as opposed to landed ones) is to first spray the capsule surface with Navy blue, then overspray it heavily with Tamiya smoke, which takes it to a very nice and dark blue black shade. The reason why I did this is because smoke is normally brownish black in color, so the Navy blue helped to cancel out some of those brown properties. As a by-product, the glossy nature of the paint will aid in decal application with all those little recesses and it can be flat coated easily enough after. I tested the technique out on a set of TIE Fighter solar wings many years ago and the results looked very good.

I know it is your project of course, but I think this could get about the same results without going for metalizer since those products want a nice smooth plastic surface and it will expose and magnify even the tiniest flaw. Primer (which your craft will likely need due to all the body repairs on it) can reduce the effect and metalizers also have this habit of rubbing off until they get sealed (which can alter their final appearance). Now I agree that guys who know how to use them can get some really good results from them. But, it is not an easy product to use in my experience. Alclad is at least a bit more durable.

On 11/2/2012 at 8:20 AM, Jay Chladek said:

Hey Pete, a metalizer approach might look cool. But if you look at the real Gemini and Mercury articles, the Rene 41 alloy shingles have NO metallic sheen to them whatsoever. They are a dull blue black color and that is the color of the metal, not the paint. Unflown examples naturally look a bit more blue than black while examples that have come through the fire of reentry tend to look more of a sooty gray black.

Jay, I guess I hafta beg to differ. Here's a couple of my reference photos. They aren't anywhere near a dull blue black colour ... I mean, you do realize this will depict a vehicle after re-entry (as they used to call it ) ...

2v2JUe5HVxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUe59WxAnAAS.jpg

And I agree about the shiny Metallizer paint, but Phil Smith used it, with a sealer and probably a Dullcote and it looked right on ( although I may just use some Medium grey mixed with a little white ). The hairspray technique was also used and I may just try that too.

Thanx Jay

Edited by K2Pete