A-4E/F vs Super Fox

I apologize in advance if this has been asked (and responded to) before but I wanted to know the differences between A-4E/F Skyhawks versus those called Super Fox. I was looking through my stash of decals and came across a scheme for a Super Fox machine and I wanted to know if I could get to a Super Fox configuration with a Hasegawa A-4E/F kit.

Any feedback will be really appreciated.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

Mostly just the intakes. The Super Fox had an upgraded engine that required greater mass airflow, so the intakes were **very** slightly wider in front view. Honestly, on a scale model, most people would never be able to see the difference.

Thanks, J. How about the hump and that boom on the horizontal tail? The scheme I'm looking at refers to an A-4F Super Fox but with the hump and the boom. Is this somehow a different Super Fox 'version'?

Here's the exact scheme (from Fightertown's 48-027 VA-127 Cyclons)

Picture1-35.png

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

naw, just like the A-4M intakes on an A-4E/F,,,,,,,most people can't tell there is a hump on the spine or a Hot Dog on the tail,,,,,,,those differences are too subtle for scale modelers to see,,,,,the current "wisdom" is that no one can see 1 mm on a model

see TT's post in the other current Skyhawk thread,,,,you can then decide if you can see the intake difference or not (that difference is enough that even 1/72 companies molded them seperately)

but, real answer,,,,you would have to go to Skyhawk.org to look at VA/VF-127 page and/or the Blue Angels page on there, that way you can see what dates that BuNo served with the Angels and with -127

topgun i am also in need of the intakes as well so what im going to tryi is i have a blue angels A-4 i whant to do so my idea is get a hasagwa kit that has the intakes then make my own casting if i can. what sky hawk kit are you useing for your build?

ok topgun it think i solved your problem hasegawa makes a skyhawk kit that gives you all of the parts you need in one box. it is listed as 09951 1/48 a-4m skyhawk low visibilty. now it might say A-4m on the box but it gives you somany parts you can built your super fox. im going to get one to do my blue angels jet

Can't see buying a complete A-4M kit just to get the bulged intakes. Once you take the intakes out, the rest of the kit is useless to build another A-4. The fuselage halves in the M kit are different to cater to the canopy changes, and are good only for the M and derivatives like the N. You can't just slap some leftover non-bulged intakes on the M fuselage and make an E or F.

ok topgun it think i solved your problem hasegawa makes a skyhawk kit that gives you all of the parts you need in one box. it is listed as 09951 1/48 a-4m skyhawk low visibilty. now it might say A-4m on the box but it gives you somany parts you can built your super fox. im going to get one to do my blue angels jet

Catfan, that won't get you there. The forward fuselage and cockpit area of the A-4M is very different than that of the A-4E/F. The Blue Angels never flew the A-4M, only the A-4F. Unless you don't care about accuracy (which, if you're worried about having the correct intakes for a Super Fox tells me you are), the A-4M kit won't help you unless you're willing to toss the remaining 95% of the kit in the spares box and use the intakes and hot dog on your A-4E/F kit. I think you'd be better off looking for an A-4F Blue Angel kit by Hasegawa on ebay or some such to build your Blue Angel from. That is, the Blue Angel boxing by Hasegawa, rather than the ProModeler box.

Yep, like Dave states, I don't see purchasing an entire A-4M just for the intakes and the hotdog antenna. I'm relying on asking on the boards to see if anyone has spares for these (long shot but worth a try).

topgun i am also in need of the intakes as well so what im going to tryi is i have a blue angels A-4 i whant to do so my idea is get a hasagwa kit that has the intakes then make my own casting if i can. what sky hawk kit are you useing for your build?

I'm using the 1/48 A-4E "Top Gun" #09926 kit. The kit comes with hump but does not have the bulged intakes or the antenna.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I apologize in advanced if this has been asked (and responded to) before but I wanted to know the differences between A-4E/F Skyhawks versus those called Super Fox. I was looking through my stash of decals and come across a scheme for a Super Fox machine and I wanted to know if I could get to a Super Fox configuration with a Hasegawa A-4E/F kit.

Any feedback will be really appreciated.

Rob

Rob,

The kit you want is #09660. It was released about 8 years ago as "A-4E/F Adversary". Its the A-4E/F body with the bulged intakes. It does not have the "hot dog" tail antenna though, but this could be easly scratch built from some retangular Evergreen plastic stock. It also has decals for one NFWS, and one VF-126 A-4F. It might be a bit hard to find, but I think would be the best route for you to get what you're after. If you would like a picture of the kits box top, PM me your email. HTH, Fred K.

Rob,

The kit you want is #09660. It was released about 8 years ago as "A-4E/F Adversary". Its the A-4E/F body with the bulged intakes. It does not have the "hot dog" tail antenna though, but this could be easly scratch built from some retangular Evergreen plastic stock. It also has decals for one NFWS, and one VF-126 A-4F. It might be a bit hard to find, but I think would be the best route for you to get what you're after. If you would like a picture of the kits box top, PM me your email. HTH, Fred K.

Thanks much, Fred. Is this the one?

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/22656.html?t=1351479510

I'd love to have this one but it surely does look like it's hard to find. Will keep looking...

Rob

I sure do remember my days in VF-43 the eastcoast topgun along with VF-45, those "foxtrots" sure where loud with those J52-P-408's same PP as the Prowler, I remember i could duct dive an F and fit around the CSD but the E's where a tighter fit. I have some nice photos i will try and dig out for some referance.

Scott

I'd love to have this one but it surely does look like it's hard to find. Will keep looking...

Rob

Not Fred, but I believe that is the kit with the enlarged intakes. The Blue Angel boxing has them, also, and might be easier to find.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, that is the kit that I'm talking about. Keep checking ebay as one might pop up from time to time. Good luck! Fred.

I don't know of a list of Super Fox or Mongoose BuNos,,,,,,but, if someone does, I am sure they will post the location for us

it seems logical that someone out there has a list of which aircraft received the 100 kits

ok is there a list of buro numbers or a way if we know a skyhawk was turned in to a SUPER FOX?

I haven't seen anything, but that doesn't mean that there's not one out there somewhere ;0) The A-4Fs were all in the 154XXX or 155XXX block of BuNo's though, and most (but not all) of the Mongoose F's that I've seen pics of were in the 155XXX block, if that helps. As always, your best bet is a pic. HTH, Fred K.