1/10 Ascent Stage LM-5 Eagle

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me. Sometime ago I came across a photo in some space-modeler website of a color plate held against an LM cockpit panel. I faintly recall that they were FS gray colors and he was color-matching the best shade. Does anyone recall coming across something like this? I regret not having saved the link, but my google searches have now been unfruitful, yet I'm very positive about seeing it before. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hi Crackerjazz,

Not what you actually want I know but have a couple of links here from my LM file. The first, for our so familiar problem and the second for later in your amazing build. You probably have both, but if not, they may prove useful. Do not recall a link with a colour card though.

I find it very difficult to judge colour correctly from photos . As you scale down they need to be lighter because the colour temperature becomes more concentrated as the space reduces...the smaller the scale the lighter the colour and visa versa, darker on the way up to full size. A good example is the LUT. It is actually industrial orange ( about acrylic car spray primer colour ) although it usually looks red in pics ( depends on the camera - digital does give a more accurate rendition I'm told ) - and there is the ambient lighting too to consider in which the pic was taken.......... problems all the way. I find it best to experiment on scrap until it just looks right, gotta have a starting point of course and if you have seen the real thing, in the life as it were, so much the better.

Thanks for your kind words but don't understand 'that kind of skill ' ...your build is extraordinary,,,,,,superb work... clean, clean,clean, as a whistle,let alone the the challenge of 1/10 scale..... and.........you are chamfering all the edges !!!!!! ,,,,Wonderful stuff. Keep up the great work.

Best

John

ps have seen FUD demonstrated. It is an extraordinary technology.

http://www.apollosaturn.com/modeling/A15LMint/lm10.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~pfjeld/lmdata/index.html

Hey, John, thanks! : ) I'll try to experiment on the color shades. And those links will surely come in handy. Found some time to work on the equipment bay:

00224mar13.jpg

00324mar13.jpg

00524mar13.jpg

Not yet glued on - just testing how it would look. The equipment bay has got some Stealth-fighter-like facets - found it quite a difficult area with varying angles everywhere - especially

the ends where the thrusters connect to. I'll give myself a week or two for this. Why didn't they just make a box? : )

00424mar13.jpg

00824mar13.jpg

Some progress shots:

009qf.jpg

005cje.jpg

001tky.jpg

002cwi.jpg

010ypy.jpg

007oe.jpg

001pga.jpg

Got the ascent engine bell today! Had it printed at a considerably lower price than what I was quoted by Shapeways. I intentionally chose medium resolution as I knew that print lines were inevitable even for the high resolution one. And since I was definitely going to putty, I decided a surface with more bite is better.

I tried to sand this by the way and the stuff is impervious to sanding! This material is tough! I tried the acetone technique (not the heat-up method but just rubbing it with acetone on a piece of cotton) - no dice. Cleaned it up with dishwashing liquid then alcohol to "etch" the surface - nothing. This stuff seems like it came from Krypton. It is unaffected by anything I could throw at it. I might use some Squadron green putty on it instead.

Edited by crackerjazz

001iid.jpg

Couldn't help but start puttying up and sanding the ascent engine bell. First tried Squadron green. Goes on thick really nicely but found it rather difficult to feather.

So I next slathered on Bondo red automotive glazing putty, so easier to sand and feather. Should've used just that instead.

002qix.jpg

Found this photo. I wonder if this is the actual material used. Maybe I shouldn't have smoothened it out too much :)/>/>

http://airandspace.si.edu/images/collections/media/full/A19721346000d2.JPG

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanks, Bill! : ) It's a company called Draftprint3d. They have Makerbot Replicator 2 printers but come May, they'll be getting Form-1 3D printers which uses different technology (SLA) and is capable of printing up to .025mm per layer, I was told.

John, thanks for the awesome link! : )

003ctp.jpg

004rrz.jpg

002vlc.jpg

001ia.jpg

This just keeps gettin' better and better!

For the Ascent engine bell, when you sanded it smooth, was it at all fragile? Like, how thick are the walls of the bell?

I can see where this is gonna take a couple of years to complete ... the details you're going to include ... man, this is gonna be fun to watch come together!

Pete

WOW! This is coming along great! Am I seeing this right? Are you modeling in Solidworks even all of the stuff you're not 3d printing? So when you're done, you should have a really accurate full 3d model file of it as well? Or at least a lot of sub-assemblies. I can see the advantage of modeling everything on the computer first to figure it all out but geeesh, that's a lot of work! :thumbsup:

Keep it coming, I'm taking notes here.

Bill

Hi Chrackerjazz,

could you imagine a 3D print of an entire Shuttle stack (Orbiter & ET & SRBs) in 1:160? Please could you ask your 3D print expert, if it would be possible and it would be as expensive? :coolio:

Thanks in advance. :worship:

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

Well, they have this http://www.shapeways.com/model/892827/1-400-shuttle-mlp-amp-crawler-transporter-nasa.html?li=productBox-search

and this; http://www.shapeways.com/model/835534/1-350-nasa-space-shuttle-complete.html?li=productBox-search

Which isn't what you're asking for but it shows that yes, it's definately possible. whether it's economically feasible...that's a different story.

But you know Manfred, with your skills and attention to detail, I don't see any reason why you couldn't scratch build a 1:160 shuttle that would be more detailed and accurate then probably the 1/72 scale ones out there. Give a shot, I bet you can do it.

Bill

HiCrackerjazz,

this work is coming along wonderfully . At 1/10 too.... Superb . I just cannot wait to see the completed engine, I expect to see it fire up with such detail.......don't just sit there......get on with it..........

Very best wishes

John

Well, they have this http://www.shapeways.com/model/892827/1-400-shuttle-mlp-amp-crawler-transporter-nasa.html?li=productBox-search

and this; http://www.shapeways.com/model/835534/1-350-nasa-space-shuttle-complete.html?li=productBox-search

Which isn't what you're asking for but it shows that yes, it's definately possible. whether it's economically feasible...that's a different story.

But you know Manfred, with your skills and attention to detail, I don't see any reason why you couldn't scratch build a 1:160 shuttle that would be more detailed and accurate then probably the 1/72 scale ones out there. Give a shot, I bet you can do it.

Bill

Thanks Bill for the information, I also think the 3D printing would be an expensive affair. :woot.gif:

I'll slowly prepare my emergency surgery and sharpen the instruments already ... :crying2:

:wave: