Been slowly bringing this A-10 together, and have been content with the progress so far. I'm electing to roll with the OOB decal scheme for the Desert Storm bird. Finished paint on Tuesday, and spent the better part of yesterday morning fooling around with shading and highlights. I personally like how it came out, but wanted to kind of get some feedback on it, so I figured I'd ask. For the record, I've since came back over some of the lightened areas and just dust coated the base colors to kind of blend it all around a little bit better so it wasn't quite so stark. I don't however have an updated picture yet. Here she is.

20130521_103958_zps7f821778.jpg

If you're going for an overworked long in the tooth bird; in need of a visit to the CC boys...you've done it very well. It's close to some of the birds doing yeomans duty in SEA, but that was a hot and very humid climate and they were very much well worn. I don't know if they'd get that far in this present time frame. It's up to you how you want it to be viewed and under what conditions it's supposed to be. Overall I'd say great job with the tired over-worked weathered look.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I did want to replicate the worn look of desert storm era deployments, and excessive turn around, tired look. As I said, going back over and applying some of the base coat colors back into for the faded blend look helped out a little bit, and took off some of the haggard look. I think for the Euro Green I lightened it a bit too much initially, but I knew I could come back. I'll add another shot tomorrow morning when I get off work to show you the newly revised look to it. Gives it a bit more kick but keeps some of the dimension of the shading in play. I also want to work some pastels in it once I get done with decals so I can add the sand and such. Thanks for the opinion, man.

While you've certainly done it WELL, I have a bit of an adverse reaction to the final result. I just can't suspend disbelief. I'm no A-10 expert, mind you, but I just can't see an A-10 as looking like that even after 20 years sitting in the desert sun at a bone yard.

But, like I said I'm no A-10 expert. Just giving and average-joe opinion.

Paint looks good, even if a little too faded, it is well executed.

My only gripe is this is a kit of a modern A-10A and would need to be backdated for a DS Hog.

For example, the GPS antenna (circular dome antenna aft of canopy) should not be there. This was a much later addition and was not seen on any DS birds (or with lizard schemes either, I think).

Certain other lumps and bumps (two each on lower outside vertical tails, to name a few) were post DS as well. Not worth changing at this point of the build and ruining your paint job.

Keep moving forward, it will look a treat when done regardless.

Marc.

• 2 weeks later...

very much headed in the right direction ! You can see the amount of work that has gone into the individual panel fading and outlining. - obviously more than a few hours with the airbrush = as I well know!

If you want to go "hard-core" drop me a pm - i have some suggestions. If not keep her coming - Im really looking forward to seeing more - a big well done.

best

Mark

Edited by MarkC

Overall I like it. For some reason those European I colors can be hard to get right, but you've got the A-10 looking good. Years ago I scrapped an A-7D after multiple attempts failed to represent the colors correctly.

My only critique is that the panels are weathered too evenly. I would prefer to see more variation across the airframe.

Steve

Sure wish I'd have seen the notifications that I was still getting replies to this thread, but sadly I wasn't updated that anyone else had replied.

Paint looks good, even if a little too faded, it is well executed.

My only gripe is this is a kit of a modern A-10A and would need to be backdated for a DS Hog.

For example, the GPS antenna (circular dome antenna aft of canopy) should not be there. This was a much later addition and was not seen on any DS birds (or with lizard schemes either, I think).

Certain other lumps and bumps (two each on lower outside vertical tails, to name a few) were post DS as well. Not worth changing at this point of the build and ruining your paint job.

Keep moving forward, it will look a treat when done regardless.

Marc.

Thanks a lot Marc, I was only informed of this info after I had already dropped the paint job on it, and as you said, the grief of going back and removing all of the said parts, and then trying to touch up the paint to make it look the part of the original was a bit overwhelming, so perhaps we can just replicate a 'throw back' scheme on a more modern, updated bird. :whistle:

very much headed in the right direction ! You can see the amount of work that has gone into the individual panel fading and outlining. - obviously more than a few hours with the airbrush = as I well know!

If you want to go "hard-core" drop me a pm - i have some suggestions. If not keep her coming - Im really looking forward to seeing more - a big well done.

best

Mark

Sadly, I've already wrapped this one up, but I am still curious to hear suggestions from others on tips or techniques that I may have not heard or implemented yet. Please feel free to still drop me a line if you'd like.

Overall I like it. For some reason those European I colors can be hard to get right, but you've got the A-10 looking good. Years ago I scrapped an A-7D after multiple attempts failed to represent the colors correctly.

My only critique is that the panels are weathered too evenly. I would prefer to see more variation across the airframe.

Steve

I agree. I was kind of skeptical on how to bring it out, but I got to give a lot of credit to the MM Euro Green. that color has kind of that brownish hue to it that really kind of blended nicely with the gray, and medium green. I liked the contrast a lot, and it made easy work of the scheme. I eventually went back and dust coated some of the base colors back over certain areas to try and break up the even tones, and to cool down the highlights in the center, as I felt they may have been a bit too abrasive on the eyes, thus giving away the intended effect of the more natural weathered look. I posted a final display of it on this thread here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=265241&st=0&p=2516132&fromsearch=1entry2516132

It'll give you a bit of a better idea how it looked once cooled down, and matte coated, which also helped a little bit in the end. I used some pastels to simulate sand buildup on the airframe in certain areas so that too kind of broke up some of the contrast areas that may have been too evened out. Thank you all for the critiques though. An open mind to criticizm is an open mind to grow.

I eventually went back and dust coated some of the base colors back over certain areas to try and break up the even tones, and to cool down the highlights in the center, as I felt they may have been a bit too abrasive on the eyes, thus giving away the intended effect of the more natural weathered look. I posted a final display of it on this thread here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=265241&st=0&p=2516132&fromsearch=1entry2516132

Oooo, that looks much better. Success!

Steve

Thanks a lot, Steve. I like how it kind of softened up the decals a bit too, where they didn't stand out as much either. Amazing how far a little extra effort like that can go. Glad it's done. She looks good enough for me.