Italeri B-58 Hustler

I recently found an Italeri B-58 Hustler for a very cheap price but before I buy it I would like to know if the accuracy of this kit is good? I am not at all familiar with this kit but by comparing images online with photos of the finished model it looks pretty good.

Thanks,

Mark

The fuselage is short due to a measuring error when the kit was designed, so the proportions aren't quite right. It isn't really fixable, so it's one of those things you have to live with. The error doesn't really stand out on the model, but is noticeable when comparing to a profile view or the 1/48 Revell/Monogram kit. It still looks like a B-58 though! I built one a few years ago, and it looks good anyway. The engine pylon fit is a bit iffy, but otherwise the kit is a nice build.

Actually it's not just the fuselage that's short. The entire model is foreshortened by the six foot (1" in scale) length of the pitot boom. It'd be the same effect as if you took a photo in Photoshop and shortened it in one direction only. It affects the sweep angles of the wings and vertical fin, etc.

But as Mumbles said, it's really not that noticeable on the finished model. And besides, it's pretty much the only game in town.

AFAIK Italeri mixed up the lengths of the fuselage with and without the pitot boom while keeping the wingspan correct, throwing off all angles, wing sweep, etc.

Italeri's 1/72nd Mirage 2000 kits suffer from exactly the same issue.

Cheers,

Andre

The Italeri kit is vastly better than the Aurora kit I built a loooooong time ago. Is anyone old enough to remember that turkey?

I have a Lindbergh one in the stash. Does that count? ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Hello guys,

I just bought the kit last week for 11€ in a local shop.

That is the new boxing of the aircraft with six options in the decals (all NMF), simply beautiful small sheet.

As far as the plastic parts are concerned, they look quite crisp though the panel lines seems to be deep for my eyes.No sink marks can be seen.Everything is sealed in plastic bags, the windscreen is in a small bag for example. Italeri really made some improvement.

Size does not really matters, the Hustler is still more than 40 centimeters and looks great.From a distance it will look EXACTLY like a B-58.No better business can be found, I would say give a try on that.

Regards,Laz

The Italeri kit is vastly better than the Aurora kit I built a loooooong time ago. Is anyone old enough to remember that turkey?

Is that the one that had the button on top that would release the weapons pod? I had one of those back about '67 or so.

Is that the one that had the button on top that would release the weapons pod? I had one of those back about '67 or so.

That would be the box-scale Monogram one. I have one in the stash still... :monkeydance: