F-14A VF-103 The Sluggers

This is one of my recent completion. It is Hasegawa's 1/48 F-14A with Afterburner Decals for VF-103 The Sluggers. This is a aircraft from USS Saratoga around the time of the Achille Lauro Intercept mission. This is every bit the awful build that everyone says it is. Eduard PE used in the cockpit, wheels, wolfpack drop tanks and weapons and extra sidewinder rails scrounged from spares.

There were at least three moments when I nearly threw this kit into a wall. It still has some warts but I am glad that I finished it and I think it looks pretty good.

DSCN1879_zpsc27e1282.jpg

DSCN1880_zpsab832622.jpg

DSCN1876_zps977a14d5.jpg

DSCN1882_zpsffe4eb6b.jpg

DSCN1875_zps7d61ccf9.jpg

Zach

Zach,

She's a beautiful bird you built! Yes, you turned a nightmare of a build to a work of art! Excellent job! :thumbsup:

I was looking for a set of drop tanks for my Revell Tomcat, and you just answered my question. Thanks!

Jason

Nice job on your Tomcat! I've build 6 of them myself and no two builds are ever the same. Just when I think I have all of the problems with them worked out a new problem always seems to pop up.

I like to tell people that building a Hasegawa Tomcat is a lot like getting a tattoo. When you start one it seems like it's going to more trouble than they're worth but, once it's finished after a while you want another one.

-Xavi

Zach,

By the look of your posted pictures, I'd say that you did one heck of a job on the kit. It turned out great. And just think how much time you would have wasted cleaning up the crash.

Joel

Nice job on your Tomcat! I've build 6 of them myself and no two builds are ever the same. Just when I think I have all of the problems with them worked out a new problem always seems to pop up.

I like to tell people that building a Hasegawa Tomcat is a lot like getting a tattoo. When you start one it seems like it's going to more trouble than they're worth but, once it's finished after a while you want another one.

-Xavi

I know what you mean by thinking you know every little problem she has, then from out of no where you get that curve ball. :woot.gif:/>

C'mon don't be so harsh on the trusty Hasegawa cat. My reconing about why people don't like it is that it isn't a shake and bake kit and it just requires a little more patience than most kits. Lets face it, the tomcat as a subject to build is quite complex due to it's variable intakes and swing wings. The area where most people judge most is the forward/rear fuselage joint. It requires attention to the curvature of that sort of double bubble shape. If you can line it up perfectly around the top side, the rest is a breeze. Although I have only ever built one so far but have many more in my stash, I can honestly say that I don't know why people criticise it so much. Also don't forget, the kit is getting quite old now and so flash is increasing but that's nothing a swipe of a scalpel blade or sanding stick can't fix and maybe one or two parts may be starting to warp. It's basic modelling people and on that note, whilst I do enjoy the modern crisp lines of the newer kits from Hobby Boss and Kitty Hawk etc, I am partial to the older kits for instance I am currently building the old Airfix 1:48 Ju 87 B Stuka with raised rivets and abundance of rivets. Don't be quick to judge eh! :)/>

By they way despite the criticisms of your tomcat you have turned out a fine piece but try and see the kit in a different like the next time you build one.

Regards from New Zealand

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor

Thanks for the compliments all.

With regards to your observations Maverick, I feel like if I were only a shake and bake builder I would have given up on this gal. Though I will say that your observations are largely true especially regarding the general complexity of the subject.

Zach