Joe Sutter's Book.

For my fellow book hounds out there.

I just finished reading Joe Sutter's book "747. Creating the Worlds First Jumbo Jet and other Adventures from a Life in Aviation". What a great read! I am no aviation designer and no math/physics wizard, so I purchased the book with a little apprehension that it would be page after page of math, statistics, and physics (or something to that affect). However, the book didn't get overly technical whatsoever. I was able to follow along with ease and his book really is riveting and an exceptional story of Sutter's life, Boeing, the race for the first successful Jumbo jet, and of course the 747 (my favorite airliner :rolleyes: ). If you haven't read it and are looking for a nice, relaxing, informative yet entertaining (key word there ;) ) read then I highly recommend it.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for Airliner related books that they have read? A book on a specific aircraft, Airline, manufacturer, pilot/personality? I am always looking for a good book(s)!

Cheers all :cheers: !

Don

Tex Johnston's autobiography is a good read. Very folksy, but the section on his experience with flying aboard the Tu-104 at the 1958 Paris Air Show is worth the price of the book :)

Not long after my (now ex-) wife and I got married, I was perusing one of my many airplane books one day. Joan looked over my shoulder and said, "Hey, that's my Uncle Joe!". The photo she was looking at showed Joe Sutter standing next to the 747SP prototype.

"No dear," I said, "that's Joe Sutter, father of the 747.".

"Yeah, that's my Aunt Nancy's husband!"

I almost fell off the chair. Unfortunately I've never had a chance to meet Uncle Joe, but I sure would like to. Joan said when they had family functions when she was a kid, all the men went to the basement where Uncle Joe had a whole collection of models of Boeing airplanes.

Wow, that would have been something to meet Joe Sutter! Imagine what conversations took place down in his man cave with Boeing aircraft models about. Even at 93 years of age I bet he would be an extremely interesting guy to talk to over a cold one :thumbsup: !

Cheers!

Boeing is (or soon will be) restoring "City of Everett" to her rollout appearance for the MoF. She most assuredly deserves preservation! She's in pretty ratty shape right now.

Boeing is (or soon will be) restoring "City of Everett" to her rollout appearance for the MoF. She most assuredly deserves preservation! She's in pretty ratty shape right now.

Agreed. An historical aircraft very worthy of preservation for future generations to enjoy and marvel at.

"The Long Way Home", by Ed Dover. Story of the Pacific Clipper and it's journey back to New York after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

"Skygods. The Fall of Pan Am", by Robert Gandt. Title says it all.

"Poor Sailors Airline" Gary Kissel. The History of PSA.

"Hard Landing" Thomas Petzinger. All about dirtbag people and money (the story behind the airline industry)

That's just a start, I've many many more suggestions for further civil aviation reading.

Wide-Body: The Triumph of the 747 by Clive Irving

The first half of this book is about the development of the 707 and Boeing's subsequent rise.

And believe it or not, if you're looking for a fascinating non-technical read, the Time-Life book "The Jet Age" is fantastic and has really beautiful illustrations.

Thanks kindly Gents! I just ordered a copy of "Wide Body: The Triumph of the 747" by Clive Irving and I took a shot with another book, "Flying Concorde" by Brian Calvert (used but supposedly in VGC). Despite it not being in my usual airliner scale of 1/200, I picked up a Revell 1/144 Concorde a while back that is calling my name ;). I like reading about the aircraft that I am modeling.

Cheers all!

Don.

• 2 weeks later...

Don,

Sutter's book should be a mandatory read for all high schools.

It is simply a matter that if you want it bad enough and you work for it hard enough

you will achieve anything in life.

I was lucky enough to have Mr Sutter autograph the book.

Please do let us know how you like the "Flying Concorde" book.

Walter

Don,

Sutter's book should be a mandatory read for all high schools.

It is simply a matter that if you want it bad enough and you work for it hard enough

you will achieve anything in life.

I was lucky enough to have Mr Sutter autograph the book.

Please do let us know how you like the "Flying Concorde" book.

Walter

Walter,

I COMPLETELY agree with your point on Sutter's book. It should be required reading for high schoolers and/or College Juniors. It is a perfect example of the "Can Do" spirit that used to prevail in American industry. The sheer number of obstacles placed in front of the 747 program would probably kill a similar program in today's day and age.

Right now I am finishing Chris Wood's book "Boeing 747: 1970 onwards (all marks) Owners Workshop Manual". This is really a fascinating book! Very...very...technical. But my goodness what a phenomenal book for modelers! Great pictures, clear, close ups, detail drawings. A must have resource for the 747 fan and/or modeler.

I will start on "Flying the Concorde" once I finish Wood's book and will post my impressions here once finished.

Regards,

Don.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

For those of you in the UK this book might be easy to get, not so much here in the US.

But, "Trailblazer in Flight" Britain's First Female Jet Airline Captain, the biography of

Yvone Pope Sintes is an incredible and inspirational book.

Must read it!!!

Walter

• 7 years later...
On 7/20/2014 at 4:27 PM, Jennings said:

"Wide Body" is an excellent read. 

I first encountered this book when I was in high school, then I loved to read and did not like studying. I did not have enough time to absorb the material and rest, so I had a poor performance in school. During university, I started using the service https://studyhippo.com/essay-examples/burger/ with free essay samples, which greatly improved my grades and gave me more time for my hobbies and travels. I think this service will be very useful for students because the assimilation of information in today's educational system is at a low level.

I think today's problems require a modern solution. But it is very important to spend a lot of time on your mental and psychological state and not to give much importance to your studies and suffer so much from difficulties. Studying is just a small phase of life.

8 hours ago, SallyInce said:

I think today's problems require a modern solution. But it is very important to spend a lot of time on your mental and psychological state and not to give much importance to your studies and suffer so much from difficulties. Studying is just a small phase of life.

????????????????