Movie Review: Guardians of the Galaxy- spoilers ahead

Took the son to see it with some friends tonight. One friend is a hard-core comic book collector who has many Marvel originals from the 70s including the first appearances of Thanos and other characters. Fun to see some of his collection over beer. :cheers:/>

The good:

- Some of the funniest diolog of any Marvel movie

- Footloose

- Rocket Racoon and Groot, sorta like a strange R2-D2 and C3-PO

- infinity gem

- soundtrack

- Sci-Fi slapstick

- Spuntnik dog

The Bad:

- not much....

The ugly:

- opening scene is a strange and sad start, but really has an ultimate pay-off

- after credits screen surprise character! Hint: he has previously had his own movie :coolio:/>

This movie was a hoot, a fantastic galaxy romp that should make George Lucas jealous. Sorta like a Han Solo adventure! Disney has to be thinking how they can apply this same approach to the future Star Wars stand-alone films that have been announced. I was belly laughing in tears at times and never board. Definetly got my money's worth. Highly reccomended.

Edited by toadwbg

I don't know what the critics have been smoking but the new Star Wars this is not.

Not even close, it's not even Marvel's best movie, we are far behind Captain America TWS or even Avengers.

The story is one we've seen a thousand times already; while chasing a McGuffin a bunch of misfits comes together and saves the day.

At no point does the story raise any interesting issue nor does it ever rise above the clichés.

It is a formulaic vehicle and I'm really surprised at the enthusiasm for this movie, it seems almost manufactured.

The film's only redeeming quality is humor, it's is a funny movie and it works rather well as an action comedy.

You will be entertained but I don't think we can pretend it's a good film.

I don't know what the critics have been smoking but the new Star Wars this is not.

Not even close, it's not even Marvel's best movie, we are far behind Captain America TWS or even Avengers.

The story is one we've seen a thousand times already; while chasing a McGuffin a bunch of misfits comes together and saves the day.

At no point does the story raise any interesting issue nor does it ever rise above the clichés.

It is a formulaic vehicle and I'm really surprised at the enthusiasm for this movie, it seems almost manufactured.

The film's only redeeming quality is humor, it's is a funny movie and it works rather well as an action comedy.

Can't disagree, but I was entertained as hell and got my $ worth. This rarely happens anymore for me.

Haven't seen it yet so I can't really make a judgment. But since a movie is considered entertainment, and it apparently achieves that goal...couldn't that be considered a good movie? I get what you're saying, it's probably not a Schindler's List, but it doesn't have to be to be a good movie.

Bill

Haven't seen it yet so I can't really make a judgment. But since a movie is considered entertainment, and it apparently achieves that goal...couldn't that be considered a good movie? I get what you're saying, it's probably not a Schindler's List, but it doesn't have to be to be a good movie.

Bill

Yup that's where I'm coming from. If I can escape reality for 2 hours at a cost if $10, I consider that a huge WIN!

Fillet Mignon and French wine it is not, but its a damn good Bacon Cheeseburger with a pint of Light beer.

... it's is a funny movie and it works rather well as an action comedy.
... I was entertained as hell and got my $ worth.

These two quote sum up exactly what my local movie critic said in today's review.

Bill

I did not expect Schindler's List of course but I did expect a little more substance.

The last Marvel flick (Captain America; The Winter Soldier) struck that balance between entertainment, action and some substance really well.

Since so many critics are raving about Guardians of the Galaxy calling it the best Marvel movie or the new Star Wars I thought I'd add my two cents.

GOTG seemed to me to be an empty vehicle, just a setup for the jokes.

Yes the jokes were funny but everything else left me wanting and prevented me from truly enjoying it.

I left feeling like I had seen one of these flicks that you forget as soon as you leave the theater.

Perhaps you'll find these summer movies to be more substantial and fulfilling...

maxresdefault.jpg

OptimusPrimeTransformers4PosterPT.jpg

jar-.jpeg

Agreed, it isn't. I'd say that GotG is MUCH better. Consider this - there were no Han Solo types in the Prequels. Not only does GotG fix that, they double down on the character, and one of them is a raccoon.

The story is one we've seen a thousand times already

Right. Because the "Flash Gordon" and "The Hidden Fortress"-inspired Star Wars was TOTALLY original.

GOTG seemed to me to be an empty vehicle, just a setup for the jokes.

RocketRaccoon.jpg

2941191-rocket_raccoon_4.png

guardians5_rocketandtony.jpg

Edited by Tony Stark

Perhaps you'll find these summer movies to be more substantial and fulfilling...

...Agreed, it isn't. I'd say that GotG is MUCH better. Consider this - there were no Han Solo types in the Prequels. Not only does GotG fix that, they double down on the character, and one of them is a raccoon.

...Right. Because the "Flash Gordon" and "The Hidden Fortress"-inspired Star Wars was TOTALLY original.

:rolleyes:

So you believe two wrongs make a right.

That's the only line of thinking you have expressed here, three times in row.

It never works.

You can just say you liked it, that's good enough for me.

I did not expect Schindler's List of course but I did expect a little more substance.

Honesty I expected zero substance and was surprised to find a LOT of heart. The mother-son touch, the freindship/fellowship of the team. "We are Groot". That's a LOT more than typical hollywierd slock.

Honesty I expected zero substance and was surprised to find a LOT of heart. The mother-son touch, the freindship/fellowship of the team. "We are Groot". That's a LOT more than typical hollywierd slock.

or the Groot - Lassie talking thing

The Right Stuff. Ghostbusters. The Wrath of Khan. The Indiana Jones Trilogy. The Original Trilogy. Blade Runner. Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Mad Max Trilogy. Jaws. Caddyshack. Stripes. Airplane! The Thing.

Guardians of the Galaxy captured the passion, the fun, the heart and the spirit of the movies I grew up with. It's a space movie with a talking raccoon and a walking tree. The only way to pull that off is to embrace the weirdness. That's what Luc Besson did when he created the Fifth Element. I had a great time watching it and I'm going to go see it again this weekend. It's just tons of fun. It's Andy Dwyer listening to David Bowie, a wise-a** raccoon, Merle as SPACE MERLE, and Amy Pond fighting Zoe Saldana, plus, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpWTdce7RX4

A friend who took his daughter to see it yesterday summed it up best when said that this is her "Ghostbusters."

Edited by Trigger

I took my girls ages nine and twelve to see it last night. They both loved it as did I. It was better then I thought it would be. Wasn't the best movie ever but it was a good popcorn movie plus I got to spend two hours with my girls and no fighting.

I took my girls ages nine and twelve to see it last night. They both loved it as did I. It was better then I thought it would be. Wasn't the best movie ever but it was a good popcorn movie plus I got to spend two hours with my girls and no fighting.

I, like you, am a father of two girls. I'd say that is worth the price so admission!

I saw it tonight and enjoyed it. It was a fun bit of escapism. Substance in film has its place. Some of my favorite films like Rush and Gravity had substance. But sometimes you just want to sit back and be entertained with a positive tale. This one brought that. Comparing it with Star Wars I don't think is necessarily fair. But I do admit I had many of the same feelings watching this as I did back in 1977 as a six year old kid sitting in a theater. The approach to this one was different though because it had to be. So I was all for the five misfits together bit with a bunch of awkward moments. Dare I say it, this one seemed like it had a bit of "Firefly" charm thrown in, except this time Jayne is a wise cracking racoon who seems to still have the same love for big guns.

Dare I say it, this one seemed like it had a bit of "Firefly" charm thrown in, except this time Jayne is a wise cracking racoon who seems to still have the same love for big guns.

I think the raccoon is smarter than Jayne.

Seen it twice in the last week , 2d and then 3D , and and I Loved it , some things stood out particularly ,The scene in the bar with a drunk Drax and Rocket , with Rocket explanation of why he is the way he is , I got a serious lump throat , brilliant - making me root for a bunch of animated pixels ... not mention "We are Groot" , and it was nice to hear that Nebula , raised by Thanos still sounded as tho' there was a touch of Scotland in her voice , you can take the lass out of Scotland , but you can't take Scotland out of her completely

Yes its derivative , but most films that start a franchise are similar , hey the last 25 minutes of Iron Man and the Edward Norton Hulk film are pretty well interchangeable , didn't hear too much about that at the time

Bring on GOTG 2 , I'll be in line in 2017 , (when at 59 I'll be oldest person in the cinema without a child in tow!)

...hey the last 25 minutes of Iron Man and the Edward Norton Hulk film are pretty well interchangeable , didn't hear too much about that at the time

You mean when Obadiah Stane stole my tech, put it into a larger suit of armor and ran amok in a populated area in L.A. while threatening Pepper versus that time that Emil Blonsky had a sample of Banner's blood injected into him, resulting in Blonsky's transformation into an abomination that ran amok in a populated area in NYC and threatened Betty Ross?

Two totally different situations.

I loved GotG. From the opening-credits scene where Star Lord uses an alien rat as a microphone, I knew this was going to be a fun ride. Yes, the plot was a pretty basic "work together to stop the bad guy from getting and using his super-powered weapon" movie, but the visuals, the humor, and especially the heart of each of the characters made it worth watching. Each of the 5 Guardians had at least 1 really sad, emotional moment, at least 1 really funny moment, at least 1 moment where they were the smartest person in the plan. That's tough to do for an ensemble cast, with no real "star" like Steve Rogers or Tony Stark. The Avengers did it pretty well, and this movie really nailed it.

Edited by RedHeadKevin