• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all:

LOVE seeing all the helos being built right now-thanks to all for the inspiration! I have been plugging away, and thought it would be a good time to post some pics of the progress to date, so without further ado, here we go:

7FAF442C-11C5-46C9-BE20-EBD0CCC6D0C6_zpstbrvlrca.jpg

79947356-FA56-4AC0-B765-5E722B9B1689_zpsnj3fleai.jpg

Here are some images of the winch, the Cobra Company m-230, and the kit supplied m-261 19 rocket pod. All have been detailed, decaled and weathered. The chain gun, and rocket launcher are mounted on scratch-built mounting assemblies based on photos I've seen on the 'net while researching. Again, I had no measurements, or drawings to work from, so I relied on my trusty MkII eyeball guesstimator for accuracy and fidelity, both of which really ought to be in quotation marks...

E630E5A0-6AEA-49AF-8918-A9982DA6774F_zpsvwgomq9l.jpg

5DBEB619-FB06-4FE0-91CA-1EE07B52F80A_zpswwcwn80o.jpg

The Live Resin M-134 miniguns painted, decaled, and weathered. These are the most detailed AM parts I have ever seen. Period.

1329E2F3-2725-4713-98A1-319EF0815E95_zpsaesaplqq.jpg

F48F6995-117A-4695-83B6-45D74457AFAD_zps6bqlhqe3.jpg

DEE5D26C-432A-451A-92A3-EF17012DCC48_zpsysm3cmzp.jpg

The Blackhawk is finally black, in a manner of speaking. According to comments from 160th crews, as well as most photos I've looked at, an accurate representation of a 160th SOAR(A) helicopter is very blotchy, with a wide variety of shades, hues, and permutations of black represented on the aircraft. I started with pre-shading of 1:1 model masters acryl flat black and window cleaner, with a 1:1:2 mix of modelmaster flat black, dark green and window cleaner to fill in. The resulting effect is convincing and after decals and flat clear are applied, I'll weather the bird accordingly. I also added the AESOP FLIR/designator head on the nose of the helo.

C95E7BA1-7568-4CDA-81D4-2D1CBCA8053A_zpsybvo1mpd.jpg

1C17B5CE-CC39-4E25-A247-B1921667FB1D_zpsrnwoqf4n.jpg

Lastly, here are some shots of the main rotor. I detailed the head with a combination of Eduard PE, scratch built t-connectors, and guitar string to simulate the braided lines seen on the head. After painting, decaling, wash application, and dry-brushing, I'm hoping the time spent on this area will be apparent. As always, if you have any comments, I'm all ears. If you have any questions, I'll certainly do my best to answer them. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for stopping by. Now go build something-it's a lot of fun!

Marc

Thanks Tim!

Looking forward to seeing your Mike come together as well-you're off to a great start! Any placard representations-the winch, the guns, or the back of the pilot/copilot seats have been pieces of HO scale builders plate decals from Microscale. I cut out squares or rectangles of the appropriate size and look based on observation and comparison to photos. It's not accurate, but I feel it gives an appropriately "busy" look to areas where placards are affixed.

Did you use Aber screen on the tail rotor gearbox cover at the top?

If so, can you tell me how you did it and take some close up pics if it-Please!!!

Tim

Hey Tim:

I'll post close ups of the tail next progress report. The material is scale scenics micro mesh-I also use it for HO scale chain-link fencing. I take a piece and form it over the area that I want to cut out so I get the shape right, using my fingers, and in some cases a small dowel or scrap of plastic to get the contours just right. Then I cut the screen out, leaving a 1/16" to 1/8" border around the outside of the area to be seen. Then, I'll cut out the area I want to screen, finishing with files to get a sharp line all around. I'll finish the surgery by, thinning the back of the styrene with a Dremel at low RPM 1/16" to 1/8" around the outside of the cutout. Last thing is running a thin bead of gel ACC around the outside of the cutout area to minimize the chance the glue gets onto the exposed screen. Hope this helps!

Tim:

Another grab from my HO scale model railroading stash. They're HO scale number board decals-they go on the number boards on the nose and rear of locomotives. I believe they're a micro scale product. Unfortunately the package is long gone. Lots of on-line stores stock model railroading products as well as models. A search of a catalog should get you specifics, if you're interested. They're not that expensive, like $5 or $6 IIRC. How's your Mike coming along?

Marc

I'll have to look at getting some. I need numbers 2,7,6 from it. With my crazy work schedule and my wife making plans for us to do things or errands all day, I don't get much of a chance to work on it or my hawk roof project much maybe once every couple of nights.

Now our church is having its annual 21 day fast from Jan 10-31 on something that you like to do or eat, so I'm giving up modeling till the end of the month.

(I'm a preacher in my church, so it's only right that I do it).

At least I'll be able to order my detail sets I need so they will be there when I start again at the end of this month.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 2 months later...

It's all done-finally.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results. I'll post pics this evening in this thread, and the critique section as well. Don't know what I'm gonna build next: 1/48 CH-53e?, 1/35 Uh-1n?, 1/48 Mig-21? I've got some options. Thanks for checking in!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Chris: The winch started off as the kit part: I added the coils, the transparent front cover, drilled out the rear and added the screen to make it look more the part. The Decals that simulate the placards are sections of HO scale Microscale builders plate decals-I use them a lot to simulate placards that Eduard doesnt produce (yet) and they are rather convincing. I keep getting waylayed by work, family, or kids doing homework on laptops. Hopefully I will have some finished photos up before the 160th retires these birds... Thanks for looking HTH.

Marc

Thanks to all who encouraged, instructed, and inspired me. I got to do some scratch-building, and in the end came up with what I feel is a reasonable facsimile of a helicopter I have wanted to model for a long time. I am always looking to improve, so if you see something I could improve on, I'm all ears. I finally broke down and bought an optivisor and am looking forward to using it on my next set of figures-what a difference magnification makes, especially when I'm painting details. Enjoy the pics and keep on building-the level of knowledge and depth of skill displayed daily on this site humbles me and inspires my efforts to become a better modeler-I hope that my efforts will evoke similar sentiments in those who take the time to look. All the best!

Marc

571e9c45-cb8c-48ce-8c17-1af5119c4c5c_zps6gkyoss8.jpg

635fd037-f4d8-4a1e-865b-e00944742d5b_zpsjlkghasf.jpg

4C0BD031-E19C-4C48-B643-976968236D04_zpsoxtovzev.jpg

968DD018-734E-44CC-8D06-A4078E9E12D8_zpsbxcpiicw.jpg

26846764-8710-424A-8BAD-F8F2C1E0EA53_zpsym5pecnk.jpg

9A4C0F0D-B0A7-47EC-B336-9FDD1159C65B_zps47y00hs6.jpg

AF0A9D0C-87B4-4982-A47D-94B38BF5A630_zpsv8jnqc2d.jpg

22D35C48-89A8-412B-BBCC-F09715CF2B7F_zpsstfttf63.jpg

DA0E2771-2DB9-41DF-AEF2-F7E4DBA47DC2_zpspcr0l2aj.jpg

6B2F8867-D120-4248-B611-E3BABE7E2ED0_zpsmakaz0vv.jpg