A 1/72nd C-17 Globemaster - the hard way.

Don't feel bad Dnl, I have to build a display case/work desk around the CP-140 dimensions. There's no way I'd be able to put her anywhere else and keep her safe. If they can have a tiny squadron of not so tiny 1/72 C-17's, I tip my hat to them.

Your work as always Sir is absolutely brilliant! I'm definitely taking a third and fourth look at how you got the flight deck work done up.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Aurora Mark

It's very easy to get overwhelmed upon embarking upon a build such as this, but when it's broken down into smaller chunks it becomes far less daunting. Very soon you have the major components done and then it's just a case of bringing it all together at the end.

This is definitely my problem. I try to tackle everything at once and end up being overwhelmed and putting it down.

Amazing work on your cockpit!

Brilliant work Tom! Did you use a CAD program to design the flight deck? If not how did you manage to achieve those flawless results?

No CAD... just the Mk1 eyeball and a set of dividers. And a lot of trial and error!

Tom

I have completed the flightdeck over the New Year period - after showing you the basic structure which was done in the last update, I've added some seats from the spares box (I think they are old Monogram B-52 seats which with a little modification suited the job well.) I have also scratch-built the throttle controls on the centre console, as well as making up some instrument decals from various old sheets I found in the 'save them for a rainy day' decal stash. I did a little old fashioned brush-work too; great fun.

I'll go on record now and say it is by far from a 100% accurate representation of a C-17 flightdeck, but when one peers through the windows and has a nose it is certainly good enough for my tastes. And considering it's completely scratch-built by my own fair hands I'm quite happy with it!

S1030484_zps40a49266.jpg

S1030480_zps41eaacea.jpg

I've also masked the cockpit windows from the inside to protect the details during the painting process. Once this is completed, I'll remove the masking and add the glazing from clear acetate.

Tonight I'm hoping to get the nose wheel-bay made up and added to the lower nose area, before adding some weight and re-attaching the crown.

Until next time, happy modelling in 2015 folks :)/>

Tom

Your flight deck is done very nicely, it is very clean and crisp! Absolutely fantastic work as always. I admire how even the work that wont be readily seen is still very clean, neat, and professionally built/completed. Stunning. Always setting that bar up high.

Cheers, and I'm looking forward as always to more of your work.

Mark.

Thanks for the kind words once again - it certainly helps with the motivation on projects such as these.

Not the most exciting of updates but progress continues on the C-17...

The crown area has be refitted and some final shaping of the nose area done. You can see in the picture below some filler which was added to the extreme nose area as I felt this wasn't pointed enough. With some careful sanding this has been rectified:

S1030501_zps60047e5b.jpg

I've also cut out and boxed in the nose gear bay from plastic card - this needs additional detail adding but this won't be completed until later in the build:

S1030505_zps66e886e0.jpg

And once again we have a complete airframe:

S1030489_zpsdcd44f07.jpg

This will now receive a good rub down from some very fine sandpaper and a final coat of filler-primer. I will then set about scribing on surface details and adding the raised areas, too.

Slowly coming together now :)/>

Tom

SLOWLY?! Your build is coming along at almost lightning speed, considering all the work you're doing!

The build continues to have me amazed at the work that you do, and how you go about doing it. This is a superb guide for what I'm doing. I can't wait to see more of it!

Cheers,

Mark.

Tommy,

The C-17 looks great with the cockpit crown reattached. I'm assuming that the front wheel well is either glued to the bottom of the flight deck, or actually using its floor for the base of the well, simply for needed support once the C-17 can seat on its gear.

It's not often that one can follow a vac build of this level and magnitude, yet Mark's equally complex build is proceeding at the same pace as yours. Just following along with the interaction between the two of you just adds that little extra to both builds.

Joel

Joel,

Tommy and I don't interact - we conspire and plan. Lol. Actually, truth be told Joel, I would love to hear the answer to your question as well, as I'm just in the stages of planning that out.

Cheers, and happy conspiring and planning,

Mark.

Tommy,

The C-17 looks great with the cockpit crown reattached. I'm assuming that the front wheel well is either glued to the bottom of the flight deck, or actually using its floor for the base of the well, simply for needed support once the C-17 can seat on its gear.

It's not often that one can follow a vac build of this level and magnitude, yet Mark's equally complex build is proceeding at the same pace as yours. Just following along with the interaction between the two of you just adds that little extra to both builds.

Joel

Joel,

The front undercarriage bay is divided into two sections. Where the leg attaches is actually a lot shallower than where the wheels themselves are stowed. The deeper section of the bay does indeed butt up to the cockpit floor, but the gear leg itself is attached to the shallower, not naturally supported area that will have the weight of the model applied. Therefore,I have inserted plastic card supports in this area that join to the cockpit floor for additional strength.

Agreed about Mark's build - he's going great guns with a very complex project. What I think is great about builds such as his and to an extent mine, is the fact that we do our best to show that vacforms are not the terrifying monsters many perceive them to be, and with just a little thinking outside the box they are perfectly buildable and above all thoroughly enjoyable.

Hopefully, one or to more of those 'on the fence' regarding vacs will see mine and Mark's efforts and have a go - the new challenges and skills learned along the way are what this hobby is all about for me. I do enjoy the regular run-of-the-mill injection moulded kits, but for some reasons vacforms pull me in time and time again!

Tom

Mark & Tommy,

You two sure you're just not the same person with a split personality? :rolleyes:/>

I've been modeling most of my life, minus the 30+ year hiatus, and have never left the injected molded comfort zone, with the exception of a multi media kit every so often. But I'm learning a lot, and I can see a vac kit in my future. Will be basic, but just getting it across the finish line would be a major accomplishment for this old timer.

Joel

In addition to my above comments, here's what can be done with a basic vacform model. This started out from the same manufacturer as Mark's - it's the Tigger Models Handley-Page Halifax in 1/32nd scale.

Everything other than the basic exterior shape has been scratch-built on this - undercarriage, props, exhausts, turrets, bomb bays, full interior, scribed surface detail, sprayed on markings - and it was the most fun I ever had!

th_DSC_0093.jpg

th_S1030231.jpg

th_S1030537.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsc6fd7c2c.jpg

DSC_0065_zpsd717e7e6.jpg

I didn't do a WIP at the time, but did have one running over on Britmodeller:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944547-132nd-scale-halifax-finished/?hl=halifax

It goes into a lot of detail about the build for those interested :)

Tom

Don't think for a second I didn't read that a few times over, start to finish, with my notebook out. I kid you not, you're the one that caused me to make the foolish decision and jump over the cliff into the Vac Form building. I'll say thank you right now for that, without an ounce of sarcasm... ...we'll see how I feel about what you've done to me in a few months, hahahaha.

The Halifax you made is one incredible build.

Cheers,

Mark.

Tommy,

Your Handley-Page Halifax 1/32nd scale replica is simply amazing. the detail is beyond what one could rationally expect in a injected kit, and this is a vacuform model. Will be checking out your build at Britmodeller.

Joel

I don't think it is medically possible for me to be any more amazed than I am now! You are a true artist!

That's exactly how I felt. Up to that point, I had always had this impression that Vac Forms were always different. Very soft details, if any at all, and although it "looked" like the subject, they never really compared to what a mainstream kit could achieve. Every single vac that I had seen built, well, you could tell from some distance that it was a vac.

And then Tom goes and starts posting up builds of his work, which, like you said, really does blow you away. This one is head and shoulders above, and totally blew my idea of vac kits out of the water. This build and the thread he posted were what had shown me that it's the builder, not the kit, that will make it what it is.

Fantastic. Still a lot of fun to go back and read through it. As a matter of fact, I've got my cup of tea here, and pretty soon, I'll finish off the night by going through it again. Always something new to learn.

Mark.

Cheers chaps - I'm glad you liked the big Halibag :)/>

Having returned to school-teacher mode after the festive holidays I've not had as much time as I'd like at the bench, but I have managed to add the distinctive winglets over the last few sessions. The task was to make these (below) to resemble the real thing:

S1030515_zpsed6c6180.jpg

The kit's mounting points for the winglets are actually in the wrong position - on the real aircraft the winglets are on the extreme tip of the wing and the rear of the winglet is in line with the trailing edge of the wing:

S1030506_zps3e9e6d43.jpg

Therefore, I decided to remove the moulded parts and start from scratch:

S1030509_zps3485f772.jpg

The winglets themselves were moulded far too thick, so I glued the inner sections to thin plastic card to form the flatter outer faces seen on the real thing:

S1030513_zpsc4fe22bc.jpg

Everything was then sanded to shape, the leading edge lights cut out and the small protrusion added to the trailing edge of the wing/base of the winglet which houses another light on the real aircraft. In end, they didn't turn out too badly:

S1030517_zps1cad220e.jpg

S1030523_zps6a6b2646.jpg

S1030520_zpsa7e94447.jpg

Still a bit of refining to do, and the light will be added from clear sprue just before painting.

Until next time,

Tom