New some feed back on old magazines...

Help me out guys. I have boxes and boxes or old Mags; finescale, Airfix, Tamiya...etc....

Should I try to sell or just scan them to disk and throw them in recycle. Any one else been lucky to get some money for the old things?

Thanks!

-Jim

My only direct experience is on the other side of the counter: having spent an average four times the cover price replacing some tens of old '70s/'80s motorbike magazines off eBay, my first thought would be make sure you want to part with 'em! If so, there are punters out there -nostalgia is a powerful selling point as we (all) get on in years...

I agree with Bob. Keep the ones you want and toss the rest.

If you don't want to keep the whole magazine, either scan the articles you want, or cout ot the articles and keep them in a file cabinet.

Or better yet, donate them to some hospital's waiting room(s). They have to be better reading than some of the old junk they have. :woot.gif:

I have only been able to sell 5 magazines from my list in over a year. I am tossing the rest the next trash day (tomorrow).

Larry

Also, Goodwill may accept them (they do where I live) and you get the tax deduction without the packing/shipping/etc although many sell well on eBay.

Big seller mistake on eBay is to sell in bunches that aren't really related.

If wanting to list more than one in a single auction, keep them related like by year, common subject (ones with all the weathering articles), or title.

If you want to see what people will actually pay for your magazines, go to Ebay and look at completed auctions. look up the magazine title you have and check it out.You have to be logged to see the completed auctions. Only you know if your time is worth the effort.

Steve

Hi Jim,

Here's the best solution to this situation.

Go through each magazine and remove the pages containing the article you loved.

Save those pages containing your favourite articles.

Put the pages into a tidy pile and take them to a book binder.

For a very modest fee you can take a 3 foot tall stack of magazines and convert it into a 1 inch thick hard cover book with all your favourite articles.

Then toss the rest of the magazines into the recycle bin.

If you don't have a book binder in your city.....you can find one online.

You might want to get more than 1 book made if the magazines are from different topics etc. This option is not expensive.

Hamm....LOL...you are too much! Thanks Steve. That sounds like a great idea. I will check into local places here in Jacksonville!

-Jim

You're welcome Jim.....the finished product is well worth the cost and reduces all the clutter. And it is a very fancy book......they trim all the pages to the same size etc as far as I can recall.

If you're not familiar with eBay note that what Steve_Jahn refers to is searching for an item as usual except that there is an option for completed auctions.

Used to be you could only see completed ones if they were your's or happened to hit on Google or other search engine.

Now eBay lets you search completed.

That's important because literally today something might sell for big bucks with many bids and tomorrow and identical one goes unbid. Note the hint about patience being rewarded on eBay in order to get a good buy.

I've heard that eBay has also loosened up on allowing rolling auctions---if it doesn't sell by deadline it restarts. They used to charge for that.

Regarding eBay, if you're taking a long approach to selling magazines use their TurboLister software. You can create a listing for each magazine once in the drafts, then post them when eBay has a selling deal. Usually once a month they'll offer something like free listings for 1,000 or 10,000 items in a certain time period. If you already have the listings ready to go, it's free, quick, and easy to post.

This is certainly the long game; you're waiting for one person to need one single issue. I'd be certain of your shipping costs, and I'd start the bidding at something that makes it worth your time, say $5 an issue. If someone really wants one, they'll bite. But again, you'll be doing this the next 5 years to sell maybe half or a quarter of what you have? I don't really know, just speculating. This is your maximum return in my mind. If you'll settle for a few dollars, take them to a modeling show (JaxCon is in a few weeks), get a table, and try selling them, either by issue or as a lot if they're fairly complete.

I've got a bunch of car magazines from the late 90s and early 2000s in the garage; once it gets warm, I'm planning to put them on Craigslist and ask something like $10/per 1-year-set, but will take $20-30 if someone wants them all. If there is no interest...into the recycling bin.

I had boxes and boxes of old mags- I took them to a club meeting/yard sale and tried to sell 'em cheap- few takers. My wife leaned over and said, "Just give them away!" We went home without a single copy, and I felt great. All those mags I had been saving went to happy modelers, and my garage was a ton lighter. Pay it forward, as they say!

Edited by chukw