Kurnass' FrankeNetz

Hi ARCers,

I'll present you my next project,an IDF F-16A.

This project was born from two different thoughts:first the Fujimi box ( I'm like a child,when I see a plane of the IDF cannot resist ...).

Syary0.jpg[/url][/img]

Immediately after open the box,all the kit shortcomings was evident:a very poor cockpit,an horrible air intake ( without depth ),ecc...

So,slowly,an evil worm began to make its way into my sick brain,the possibility of using some spare parts from my RoG F-16B ( a future Sufa conversion ) to upgrade the Fujimi model.

In fact the RoG box contained the single seat forward fuselage that,with SOME work,maybe could be adapted to the Fujimi fuselage,with the bonus of a better cockpit and the option of a open canopy ( I got the clear parts through the RoG customer service ).

And this is the genesis of this new build!

I go to use these books as reference ( unfortunately I miss the Israbook volume dedicated to the Netz ).

oB4gWF.jpg[/url][/img]

Despite my research, I found no AM for the Fujimi kit, however this build will benefit of a Master Model pitot and AOA sensor,a Quickboost seat and a exhaust nozzle taken from the F-15C'Aires set.

2XVSDN.jpg[/url][/img]

HPMu7z.jpg[/url][/img]

But the main donor, as mentioned above, is the Revell F-16B which provided the pit,the early smaller horizontal stabilators,wheels and MLG doors,early gun muzzle,AAM launcher rails ( the Fujimi's have the correct ones,but the detail...),drop tanks and pylons ...

4iEuKq.jpg[/url][/img]

...and of course,the forward fuselage.

MejRBo.jpg[/url][/img]

I've already started and cutted the fuselage

xPldS6.jpg[/url][/img]

That's all for now;I've to think how to realize the air intake duct,any suggestion,on this and other detail,are the welcome,like any crticism.

Cheers,

Gianni.

Will follow with interest! How about adapting a spare "little mouth" intake from a Hasegawa or Revell F-16C kit?

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Andre,

thx for the suggestion!

After reading your comment I was reminded of the CMK intake,but don't remember if is a small mouth ones...

Gianni

Good day guys;

ok,I've ordered the CMK intake and if it rapresent a big mouth intake,with some surgery I can replace it with the small ones from the RoG F-16C.

I've ordered also the Isradecals sheet for the Netz;in reality I?m in possession of the great Sky's Decals sheet dedicated to the various Israeli F-16s but I prefer have as more option possible for the markings.

And now to any Viper expert: I want load the Netz in a Operation Opera configuration wit a pair of Mk-84s on station 3/7,but the Fujimi pylons lack detail so is my intention use those of the RoG kit.

Apart remove the sway braces' fairings,they require other interventions?

The lenght of the pylon is the same in both A and C models right?

Thanks and some progress ASAP!

Cheers,

Gianni.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys;

as mentioned before I've ordered the CMK intake and the Isradecals sheet that arrived tha last week.Good stuff,especially the decals!

oUoqnr.jpg[/url][/img]

zSKbPk.jpg[/url][/img]

So I past the last days duelling with the fit intake/fuselage.I'm prepared to this because the CMK intake was designed for the Hasegawa F-16 and a quick comparison between the CMK and the kit parts confirmed my doubt.

YHLwAn.jpg[/url][/img]

After the necessary fuselage cut...

JaJQXI.jpg[/url][/img]

...I started a long duel for a smooth fit obtained thanks to Magic Sculpt,Tamiya putty and CA glue with talc powder.

nGkiLZ.jpg[/url][/img]

For some dark reason,Fujimi don't make the forward bulkhead of the MLG bay,so I made a copy of the RoG one with Instant Mold and Magic sculpt ( and also of a turbine face to fit in the intake).

The strange Fujimi decision.

4LXkFu.jpg[/url][/img]

My casted parts

S06ou0.jpg[/url][/img]

And the bulkhead glued in place.

POgRbX.jpg[/url][/img]

I corrected some panel and other detail unders LEXs and the rear underfuselage and glued the rear upper ones.

VrOpZ2.jpg[/url][/img]

jKHyh5.jpg[/url][/img]

End of Part One

Part Two

Still working the underfuselage,I started to add detail in the Wheel wells.Here the kit is bare of any details.

UB373I.jpg[/url][/img]

fFsLJN.jpg[/url][/img]

I added a new ECS and other small details.

c1MueT.jpg[/url][/img]

I cut and repositioned the flaperons.

8oPKBc.jpg[/url][/img]

The new wingtips launcher rails and the backdated stations 3/7 ( still missing the sway braces ).

IGpKOb.jpg[/url][/img]

CqajL4.jpg[/url][/img]

Moving on the upper forward fuselage ( the RoG one ) I added the correct gun muzzle and some details on the cockpit sidewalls.

HJc0p0.jpg[/url][/img]

xcdq7b.jpg[/url][/img]

The Aires exhaust nozzle;again,this detail is designed for the Hasegawa kit but there the lucky part is that the Fujimi plastic is very soft,so I cut the kit nozzle and mantaining the "ring" connecting the rear fuselage with the exhaust and after little sanding this is the fit.

MiYbGO.jpg[/url][/img]

And with the fuselage.

yOUNia.jpg[/url][/img]

Next I start to paint the pit in order to glue the upper fuselage and work on the fit of the two different kit parts.

As always any criticism and suggestion are welcomed.

Thanks for watching,

Gianni

Good day all friends.

I made some progress that I will show you with my "creation".

First the cockpit:the RoG one is a good starting point as detail but I choose to add some extra detail to it,no much in reality as the F-16A had less detail compared with late models ( especially on the rear bulkhead ) and with the seat installed very few can be see.

Here I used the Archer rivet to add some extra buttons,used the punch & die to realize some forget or less visible instrument ( RWR,ecc.. ) plus some PE parts from the stash.Also added the oxigen and G-suit hoses.

k8Rmxs.jpg[/url][/img]

The throttle with some detail.

mi1w8x.jpg[/url][/img]

And the pit painted ( better in person to be honest,the macro of the camera isn't much builder-friendly for unskilled modeler...).

mIkBBr.jpg[/url][/img]

And the PE used to add other details.

rFe67O.jpg[/url][/img]

The job in the MLG wells is now finished ( more or less );note that I've replaced the first nitrogen bottle that don't satisfied me.

O4A23V.jpg[/url][/img]

Some plumbing added on the NLG well too.

bTUgQ5.jpg[/url][/img]

Note that more detail will follow,as Fujimi forget almost all the smallest oleo strut in the gear areas.

I added a very crude,simple M-61 detail where I opened the gun gas purge door;as glued the door, no much will be visible,but just in case... ;)/>

nBSmRC.jpg[/url][/img]

And the upper fuselage glued!

As expected the fit isn't good,but less bad that I think at first.

fxexV9.jpg[/url][/img]

A detail shot.

y9ff8B.jpg[/url][/img]

This is the step that worried me more than any other.

Ok,a lot of job left but I'm very happy 'till now.

Thanks for watching and as usual feel free of comment of any kind!

Cheers,

Gianni.

Thanks jeff!

Honestly today was able to refine the step with a jewelry file and,well I lost some panel lines,but I've smoothed the join.

I added some melted plastic and tomorrow I think to sand it and start to rescribe the area.

Stay tuned,

Gianni.

Thx Vincenzo!

I sanded smooth the dorsal joint and rescribed the panels and look better to me,few!

Now I'm busy rescribing some service panels in the bottom rear fuselage as Fujimi forget or has the wrong location so more pics ASAP!

Cheers,

Gianni

Hi guys,

this was a busy week end but I'm very happy after all!

Well,as said before I sanded smooth the fuselage halves and fuselage-nose joints. I've lost some panel lines and consequentely I was forced to rescribe it but this happened also on "normal" kit,right?

here the pics.

J4zVQ1.jpg[/url][/img]

I lost also the subtle detail of the nose cone,so I scratched the seven static electricity "zippers" with stretched sprue.

YdwmLs.jpg[/url][/img]

To check the rescribing work i've used the Tamiya panel wash and look pretty decent. I need to touch-up some panel but after all is ok for me ( from this pics on,all the black panel are the rescribed and/or added ones).

ci5t7F.jpg[/url][/img]

mGMlX9.jpg[/url][/img]

I've detailed the landing gears.

iQTGBA.jpg[/url][/img]

Moving on the vertival stabilizer:here the rear of the fin base need to be thinned. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to forget to take a shot before starting to sand it.Also added some detail on the top of the fin.

9ASHl8.jpg[/url][/img]

But despite some sanding the fit isn't good...oh well,in this kind of project similar issue are nothing of special,I think that some plasticard and melted plastic save the day.The latter became my filler of choice when the area need rescribing panel.

cKHahW.jpg[/url][/img]

Back to the pit area,I added the canopy seal and scratched the gun camera/CVTS...

NneSkW.jpg[/url][/img]

...the canopy locking mechanism...

IQrbxT.jpg[/url][/img]

...and finally I scratched the arm rest.

4e57yi.jpg[/url][/img]

Now I want spend some words about the payload;

my first idea was arm the model in a Operation Opera'strike configuration ( two Winders,two Mk-84 and three gas bags ). But to differentiate a little from my next IDF F-16s ( the Sufas will be armed with various combination of GBU-10/16/JDAM ),in the last days I've start to think to replace the Mk-84 with six Mk-82 on TERs.

What you think, which option is more attractive?

Or a centerline tank and four Mk-84? In the latter option,if I remember correctely,the internal pylons aren't the same used for the fuel tanks right?

Gianni

Hi gents!

I made some progress so here new pics.

Do you remember the vert stab fit?

I added some sprue followed by some sanding and ending with the Mr Surfacer & Q-tip trick;last some rescribing. and the final result is this.

o64znp.jpg[/url][/img]

Vjoypx.jpg[/url][/img]

I think is ok!

And the wings: I added a pair of brass pin in each wing to add strenght,but the fit is,well,bad! More bad in the Fujimi/Fujimi joint that with the RoG part!

EIF1Bw.jpg[/url][/img]

Not only I've used a good amount of melted plastic to fill the joint,but also I had to add a styrene strip to obtain the Viper characteristic shape of this area.

qhEPpD.jpg[/url][/img]

Needless to say that all the sanding involved take its toll on the panel lines,so I spent much time on recribing the missed details.

Moving to the rear fuselage,I've had to detail and improve the arrestor hook that,as per Daco book measurament,was 4mm short;this was cause of a bad fit with the belly tank (RoG).

VsHD1J.jpg[/url][/img]

The detail on the belly pylon and a dry fit with the model. For the Viper expert,is the clearance of the tank with the NLG bay good? By pics of the real plane look OK.

Also,on the Jale Melampy book ( what a book!),immediately forward of the tank part that is bolt with the arrestor hook assembly show a aerodynamic shaped fairing;is this a standard feauture or the Israeli ( Block 10 ) planes in the early '80s was devoid of it?

gr1ZQ6.jpg[/url][/img]

And how it look now overall.

w8sHJo.jpg[/url][/img]

IYH4sO.jpg[/url][/img]

I started to paint the inside of the exhaust nozzle.

r5zt3g.jpg[/url][/img]

And some of the tiny detail;I had to scratch another gun camera,the first one was gone...

Pjpdus.jpg[/url][/img]

Who do you think guys?

Like always thanks for looking and feel free to comment!

Cheers,

Gianni.

Hi Gianni!

Lovely build! I can1t wait for the final result! Do you have any idea for the exact airplane you want to show??? I will build an F-16A from the Dragon sqn.... the red EDT and the tail art is stunning and have been built in my mind...... simply i just want one !!!!

I follow your building... go ahead my friend :worship:

Regards Polo

Polo,Rob,

thanks for you words;Rob ,I see your 1/144 Kitty and I think that you have the necessary skill to detail with easy and great result an 1/72 build.

Polo,the modell will be finished as Netz 237 of the Knight of the North Sq. in the immediate time after Operation Peace for the Galilee in the 1982.

The Flying Dragon Sq. tail art was one of the most flamboyant in Israeli service and I programmed to build one from a RoG kit,almost surely Netz 107,the highest scorer Netz with 6 and 1/2 kill plus the Osirak raid roundels,that was retired from the service in this week.

Please,let me know when you start your's mate!

And the Mirage IIIB? I've just bought the last Isradecals Yom Kippur book,I hope there will be new pics to help you with your model,I let you know,ok?

Now I've some issue with the nose shape but I can't determine how to fix,simply because I don't discover what is wrong,probably the upeer part.

Also,i've start to think if add the rivet to the model,what you thinks guys?

Thanks for looking,

Gianni.

Gianni!

My Mirage IIIB project is having rest in my drawer.... waiting for an impulse.... some other project is running paralell with it so need to wait her own turn.... my other project is an Mig-21MF from the old KP but I also waiting for a book (Tom Cooper Arab Migs Pt4 War of Attrition...)

Naturally I really interested in the book you are waiting for...if you got it please,, drop a short review ...

Regards, Polo

I understand your sentoment;my NMF Mirage is stored 'til a renewed mojo.

About the MiG book I've read all 5 volumes.The 4th is very good but at the time (covered by the book) the Arab forces don't received thr MF model,but was still equipped with the PF/PFM and the F-13 that the pilot,'cause the AA-2 AAM unreliability,preferred because equipped with an internal gun.

In the 5th volume,covering but not ending,the YKW conflict,the MFs are present with some interesting profiles.

The volumes are very good ref source for who,like me,are interested to the Israeli-Arab Wars;plesae post your MiG pics.I'm very interested,I've a MiG-17,a Mig.21f-13 and MF for my Middle East collection.

For the Israbook,now I'm reading another book but I can took a rapid overview and let you know.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Gianni.