Hei guys,many thanks,glad you like my build!

As said before I go little forward with my model ( to be honest this morning I painted the belly,pics soon),so here the pics:

First,I finished to add the various small details like cable cutters,steps,handholds,engine nacelle sensors,ecc...These are both PE and scratch builded.

u3eOZk.jpg[/url][/img]

For the various steps and handholds I used different materials ( nickel rod,electric wires and fishing line ),to find the one that best fit to the shape and diameter of the real detail.

02uy5g.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally,I shot another layer of primer to tone down the rivets.When dry,with a dark grey,I preshadowed only some areas,working with the pics of the real airframe I'll reproduce,in order to add a first basic weathering.

DCOrKU.jpg[/url][/img]

RhQeeO.jpg[/url][/img]

6qQJ35.jpg[/url][/img]

wkqwIi.jpg[/url][/img]

BWttVL.jpg[/url][/img]

And that's all,not much I know...

I sprayed the belly of the beast today with a mix of Tamiya paint adding a first layer of grime,but it is so close to the primer in shade that I don't take pics,I choose to wait to post 'till all the base color of the camo are on the model.

Thanks for now,

Gianni

• 3 months later...

Hi all guys!

Wow,some time passed from my last post!

Ok,besides the rivetting job and other project,I've proceded slowly with this one.

Another reason was the colors;after spending some times searching the brand producing the FS 30145 (no one) and 33448,I've reached a compromise: for the light one I opted for the Tamiya XF-60,for the brown I selected a mix of the follow Gunze

-H-37 ( 80% circa )

-H-66 ( 20% circa )

and some drops of H-27 to light a little the mix for a scale effect.

The brown.

IQlrpL.jpg[/url][/img]

And now the model.

The airframe I choose to rapresent is very interesting and joyful to realize:beside a very tasty ( eh,eh,eh),diffused paint chipping, the pics on the Israbook show a good fading of the paint,especially on the engine nacelles and the upper surface in general;also the tail fin show some peculiar weathering that I tryed implementing already from the beginning of the paint process.

But's enough of bla,bla,bla now the pics.

4re0O1.jpg[/url][/img]

4foDBy.jpg[/url][/img]

The belly;also the grey of the lower surfaces was mixed ( Tamiya this time ),but I forget to annote code and quantity as I mixed the colors at "eye" using the Kfir's Lairs and Israbook walkaround ref pics.

0Atmc9.jpg[/url][/img]

And now some close-up pics;as side note,Peten 840 is one helo of the IAF showing walways on wings and avionic cheecks,a feauture that don't seems of widespread use on the Israeli Apache fleet.

ja5z8z.jpg[/url][/img]

Another characteristic of the Peten's fleet is that some bird have the tail LG in the same belly grey and other in the dark olive green 0f the TADS/PNVS,rotors,etc...Mine have the green one that I brush-painted using the Vallejo Bronze Green 897,I think match nearly the dark green of the U,S.Army

nVHYdw.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally the small parts,again tryng to replicate the weather effect noted on the pics.

SspEkR.jpg[/url][/img]

For the six expendable dipensers I've choose a colorful combat mix of chaff and flare,these are the ones situated under the wings ( exclusively chaff,for safety reasons) and on the sponson sides.

lORDhm.jpg[/url][/img]

Honestly,I'm pretty happy with the colors and excitated 'cause now I can start decalling and weathering the beast,but also worried as the weathering of a helo look something different from that of a fast jet,in some ways much close to a tank...

Also,I need/want put in evidence the job on the rivets but without overdone any effect..

Ufff...

Ok,that'all for now,feel free to comment obviously and to suggest any tips helpful to obtain some decent result on this one!

Cheers,

Gianni

Hello Gianni,

I did not check your models for a while but I need to confess that I am simply amazed by the level of your builds.

I love that you make 1/72 only.

Great craftmanship there.

:worship:

Regards,Laz

Hello guys!

First,thanks all for the kind words,is my first chopper so I've a LOT to learn!

Since the last time I've gloss coated the model,some pics.

C14jv9.jpg[/url][/img]

uthXHy.jpg[/url][/img]

At this point,I opted to replace the decals to rapresent the chaff & flare dispenser on the sponsons'rear with the Brengun PE ( very useful stuff );I painted the dispenser with acrilic red and when dry I used a earstick soaked in alchool and remove the excess as a panel lines wash.

YejiVt.jpg[/url][/img]

And started apply the Armycast decals.First the Star of David;these worked very well,with some softener you can see that every rivets are viseible.

dWcbFO.jpg[/url][/img]

Then,I passed to the Magic Touch Sq. badges,but unfortunately the decals are oversized;I was forced to revert on the Sky's decals sheet dedicated to the IAF helos.This scared me a lot as I've only this example and it is OOP from long time ( if someone have one extra please,let me know).

The new decals match perfectely the dimension as per Isradecals pics ( if someone is interested,send me a PM and I can send the book' pics).

4jJPnh.jpg[/url][/img]

And this is the current state of my build.

I hope to resume it very soon as now I''m particularly motivated,so stay tuned for the next update and fell free of comment,suggestion or criticism.

Cheers,

Gianni

Good day all guys and thanks for your words!

I decalled the model,one of my fast step of all time as my airframe don't have stencils.

But I noted a tedious crack that surfaced ( many time during the build process) on the drive shaft cover when the two half-fuselage join;evidentely the contact point was weak and reduced so I adopted a truly invasive method that in the past worked well,especially fo short-run kits.

I drilled a series of holes on the shaft join and using 020" plastirod,I've CA glued'em in the holes.

With tha glue dry and sanded smooth all I need was re-paint the area!

4ytFrw.jpg[/url][/img]

So I added more weathering using Tamiya Smoke progressively darkened with some Tamiya Black.I used both freehand and salt tecnique for this step.

kZFbLs.jpg[/url][/img]

sXzjqu.jpg[/url][/img]

W3TjSC.jpg[/url][/img]

The fuel tanks;I added some Archer rivets on the fill cups as I've previously unnoticed these details...

Slwkxd.jpg[/url][/img]

At this point I weathered and modified the squadron badges accordingly to the Israbook walkaround pics with Vallejo acrilics and a good 000 brush. Even the tail numbers need to be slightly modified.Again,if someone is interested to see the real plane for clarification send me a PM.

hNsMN2.jpg[/url][/img]

Magen David and warning arrows weathered.

Uk6siY.jpg[/url][/img]

Like always,thanks for watching,some progress ASAP.

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77
  • 1 month later...

Good morning gents,

Much time from my last update.

Ok,the model is pratically ready for the flat coat but before this,I want a judgement about the general aspect of my model in order to improve it if necessary,and in particular on how the rivets turned out.

For the latter,after a sighted wash,I worked in some case one after one,individually,with a fine brush to pop-out the details.

But now some general view of the model.

WKQtP5.jpg[/url][/img]

lbgcLs.jpg[/url][/img]

l6GKuP.jpg[/url][/img]

One thing about the belly;there I've added more weathering with artist oils if you compare this image with the previous.Honestly,for the effect I used a in-flight photo of a Peten Matrix of the Israbook's but I thinks is plausible,especilly considering how much the paint of "my" airframe is chipped and faded.

Now some detail shots.

Here,one of the goals was replicate the chipping paint in the exact spot and shape showed by the pics.

xQb15T.jpg[/url][/img]

EJZ0Pd.jpg[/url][/img]

UO6If5.jpg[/url][/img]

riWfRS.jpg[/url][/img]

For the tanks the same holds true of the belly,so I added other dirt.

ayLQl2.jpg[/url][/img]

And that's all.

In reality I'm still far from the end,I need to add more details and solce minor issues.

I'm waiting for some comment guys before airbrush the matt coat,this's very important for me!

Thanks for looking,

Gianni

Yeah, I think so! You should try building a helicopter in 1/35th scale. I bet you would do a great job detailing it.

Tim

Thanks mate!

I will be able to build model bigger of 1/72,but simply I don't have room for such beasts...

Gianni

Yeah, I think so! You should try building a helicopter in 1/35th scale. I bet you would do a great job detailing it.

Tim

I agree with Tim. If you can do this kind of magic in 1/72 scale, I would LOVE to see what you could do with a 1/35th scale bird!

:D

-Ramon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all guys!

I slowly progressed with my build,a commissioned medieval knight take the great part of my free time,left very little for the Peten.

Anyway,I added the last details to the external tanks before the matt coat,as I noted this on the pics;the shape isn't perfect but this don't bother me too much...

vTyEv0.jpg[/url][/img]

And finally the model matt coated.

kHsrKR.jpg[/url][/img]

vQ48v9.jpg[/url][/img]

ScWPf0.jpg[/url][/img]

0mNgrO.jpg[/url][/img]

With the model dry,I finally removed the clear masks.Surprisingly,the pilot upper circuit breaker and the gunner left IP glareshield were detached but I re-glued in place without great problems.

Also,after all these months,the tape left some glue on the canopy,but I solved the issue with an earstick soaked with hand soap,washed away the clear and polishe all with the three Tamiya Compounds.

ADnEg5.jpg[/url][/img]

Vf9u3I.jpg[/url][/img]

fj3iwt.jpg[/url][/img]

GHtmk9.jpg[/url][/img]

But,when I glued the gunner canopy bow handle,the little b@&%£$d jump away from the tweezers and stuck on the upper canopy...the glue left a very tiny mark,look at the lower circle in the photo ( the upper show a external scratch).Also note that removing the masking tape blew away some rivets,but this is a simple fix.

SJrW4e.jpg[/url][/img]

In this very moment,I've already sanded at best I can,polished and brushed some Future on the CA mark,that now is drying.I cross the fingers,but if someone know an alternate tip please let me know!

That's all for today,the journey is still away from the finish line as I've to add some details and touch-up,but at least I've some ideas of how the build proceeds.

P.S. I'll add a RBF flag to the pilot circuit breaker,but I can't determine the exact point,any help will be more than appreciated.

Thanks all,

Gianni