Top Gun Question of the Day

I think we can all agree the first 4 minutes of Top Gun is some of the finest in film history. My question is, when attached to the cat in zone 5 looking aft (3:39-3:41 of this clip), what is the liquid falling to the deck directly behind the jet?

Best guess; it is just water that was already on the deck that is just blown around by the jet wash.

Very correct, the water on deck gets blown around in a vortex off the JBD when it's raining or there is standing water on deck.

Good catch fellas. After reading your posts, I went back and paused the shot only to see that it does in fact look like it was raining (moisture falling off the right nacelle) during that particular shot.

Best guess; it is just water that was already on the deck that is just blown around by the jet wash.

I say good call.

The flight deck looks like it's wet all around in that specific scene view.

Note that said scene is a collection of scenes filmed over many days and have inaccurate launch scenes via different angles from supposed same launch. For example: That very scene at 3:39 shows an F-14 going to full power for take off and then launching. When they cut to the side view of the launch with the deck crew ducking, the a/c going past them is actually a KA-6D! They then cut back to an F-14 leaving the deck edge and becoming airborne. It implies that it was the same a/c being launched due to the rapid view changes of what looks to be one launch scene.

Right before that scene at 3:39, it shows a KA-6D being readied on a cat.

I say good call.

The flight deck looks like it's wet all around in that specific scene view.

Note that said scene is a collection of scenes filmed over many days and have inaccurate launch scenes via different angles from supposed same launch. For example: That very scene at 3:39 shows an F-14 going to full power for take off and then launching. When they cut to the side view of the launch with the deck crew ducking, the a/c going past them is actually a KA-6D! They then cut back to an F-14 leaving the deck edge and becoming airborne. It implies that it was the same a/c being launched due to the rapid view changes of what looks to be one launch scene.

Right before that scene at 3:39, it shows a KA-6D being readied on a cat.

I just now noticed the very same thing!

I just now noticed the very same thing!

Also; In that same scene they show someone holding up a 'pickle switch' implying that it is part of a launch sequence.

The pickle switch is what the LSO holds above his head when he's guiding an a/c down for landing. If the LSO doesn't like what he sees in the a/c approach or carrier deck position, he pulls the pickle switch (Like a trigger) and it turns on red lights around the meat ball signalling the pilot to abort the landing.

The pickle switch is what the LSO holds above his head when he's guiding an a/c down for landing.

Yep. Another good catch. For bonus points, who can list the condition that warrants a pickle switch to be held above the LSO's head, as opposed to down low? :)

Yep. Another good catch. For bonus points, who can list the condition that warrants a pickle switch to be held above the LSO's head, as opposed to down low? :)/>

I'll guess case 3 recoveries. I don't pay too much attention to LSO's unless they are in the way loitering and I can't get past:)

I don't pay too much attention to LSO's unless they are in the way loitering and I can't get past:)

LOL. Fair enough. The pickle switch goes high during a fouled deck (an aircraft or object in the landing area while another aircraft is inbound - for those who don't know), down low for a clear deck.

LOL. Fair enough. The pickle switch goes high during a fouled deck (an aircraft or object in the landing area while another aircraft is inbound - for those who don't know), down low for a clear deck.

Oh yeah, I knew that. Usually everyone is looking at the ding dong that crossed the foul line :)

Why is today (May 13th) deemed "TOPGUN Day" anyway???

And can anyone tell me what the !@ Hemlock is?

I think it was intended to be May 16 when the movie was released, but something was screwed up along the line and something with Iron Eagle

And can anyone tell me what the !@ Hemlock is?

From Wiki: "In ancient Greece, hemlock was used to poison condemned prisoners. The most famous victim of hemlock poisoning is the philosopher Socrates."

Edited by Slartibartfast

Yep. Another good catch. For bonus points, who can list the condition that warrants a pickle switch to be held above the LSO's head, as opposed to down low? :)/>

Fouled deck??

Fouled deck??

Yup, when FOD or a person crosses one of the foul lines during recoveries, the deck is considered fouled and no aircraft can land until it's clear. If you foul the deck, 9 times out of 10 that gets you a trip to see the Air Boss.