Early beaver tail F-14's

15 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

Do you only sell through Sprue Bros? Getting stuff from the US is prohibitively expensive 99% of the time these days, wondering if anyone else will be stocking them outside the US?

Where are you located? I asked Hannant's if they were interested, and they declined. ZED Hobbies in Australia orders occasionally, as does Aero Spezial in Germany. I completely understand about shipping out of the US. The postal service is killing small business in the US.

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

Where are you located? I asked Hannant's if they were interested, and they declined. ZED Hobbies in Australia orders occasionally, as does Aero Spezial in Germany. I completely understand about shipping out of the US. The postal service is killing small business in the US.

It's not just the postage - it's the taxes and customs fees. In Denmark we have to pay 25 per cent of the package value (i.e. goods plus postage) and then an additional fee of approximately $24. That means that the SB order I am now waiting for will cost me $125, and the goods are only $70 of that. That really sucks!

Jens

That beaver tail really looks great. The only thing I would do is either hollow out or replace the fuel dump with tubing - it's pretty thin metal and they got banged up pretty good IRL. Also depending on the era you may want to paint the dump red or dark gray. Red for low vis and dark gray for TPS schemes.

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm in the UK. I'll manage to obtain them one way or another, no worries. That VF-1 aircraft can't hide forever!

3 hours ago, CJ Martin said:

That beaver tail really looks great. The only thing I would do is either hollow out or replace the fuel dump with tubing - it's pretty thin metal and they got banged up pretty good IRL. Also depending on the era you may want to paint the dump red or dark gray. Red for low vis and dark gray for TPS schemes.

Thanks! I'm not quite done with the small details. I plan on drilling out the fuel dump and painting it red. I cast it solid so I wouldn't have as high a rejection rate on the parts. I figured drilling it out would be something most modelers could do.

1 hour ago, Stefan buysse said:

That looks great, Darren.

Is it a long time ago you enquired at Hannant's? They have been taking on some  new manufacturers, I see that they now have the "Fight's on" decals as a future release, for example.

I'd love to be able to order your stuff from them.

Cheers, Stefan.

You'll need to contact them and let them know you want them to carry the line. I asked last month and they said they were too busy to take on any new lines. It's a shame, because they missed out on selling a lot of the new Tomcat stuff.

6 hours ago, doupnik said:

Darren,

How much did you change this set versus the earlier one that you released for the Has kit? I have your earlier set and was wondering if it would work for the Tamiya kit.

mason

I tried using the set made for the Hasegawa kit, and it didn't work. The Hasegawa is too narrow. In fact, I was shocked at how narrow it is between the engines compared to the Tamiya kit. 

14 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I tried using the set made for the Hasegawa kit, and it didn't work. The Hasegawa is too narrow. In fact, I was shocked at how narrow it is between the engines compared to the Tamiya kit. 

I guess I will be looking forward to a restock then. Thanks!

mason

8 hours ago, doupnik said:

I guess I will be looking forward to a restock then. Thanks!

mason

I just saw they were sold out. I'm taking an order up on Wednesday, so they should be available for shortly after that. You could get yourself a Black Friday present! LOL

2 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

Darren, what VF-14 decals were you using on that model? Are those the Microscale set? How are they?

It is indeed the old Microscale set (with VF-1 and -142). I used Microscale Decal Film over them, and they work great. I used a different set of modex numbers and BuNo's, as I didn't like the style they had on the sheet. The tail markings are from the Microscale sheet, though.

Okay. Thank you. That VF-14 scheme is quite attractive. Shame there aren't more recent sheets to feature it. I had thought it was the Microscale product but the modex was different, so I had to ask. Looks really good. What did you use to cut off the dielectric panels? That's a smooth cut.

On 22.11.2016 at 4:21 PM, Aigore said:

Darren, how about a tail with the air brakes open for the tammy kit? If I'm allowed a wish :)

I have a early Pacific squadrons Hasegawa Tomcat and it came with two tails! One with and one without the ECM antenna. I held it up against the Tamiya today and I am very psoitive that it could be transpanted into th eTamiya bird withour really big surgery. I am not sure if all Hasegawa birds come with two tails though...

cheers

Uwe

On 17/11/2016 at 8:38 PM, Dmanton300 said:

Do you only sell through Sprue Bros? Getting stuff from the US is prohibitively expensive 99% of the time these days, wondering if anyone else will be stocking them outside the US?

Sprue Bros now have an economy option (with tracking) and it's not much dearer than Royal Mail domestically. I've ordered all my SB stuff from Sprue Bros.