Jump to content

Recommended Posts



Some time ago, I picked up the F9F-5 I'm working on, and this kit, for less than 10 bucks at a swap meet. I've had a minor setback with the Panther, so I thought I'd start on this one. I've been inspired by Bashaces build, so, here goes...!





The kit's instructions say that Step 1 is assembly of the cockpit. Step 1 should be, "Don't leave  your instructions where your new Lab puppy can reach them."





That aside, I was able to get the cockpit parts painted up and assembled. I added some paper belts to add some visual interest. 





That's where things stand as of now. Stay tuned and I'll post more pictures when there's more to share. In the meantime, feel free to share your comments and questions.




Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy ARC,


Before I show my progress, I'd like to thank everyone for the pats on the back. Much appreciated!


So, I was able to get a little done on my F-5. The pit was installed and the fuselage was closed up. 







The fuselage's fit wasn't great, so I lost a lot of the raised detail to filling and sanding. As a result, I decided to rescribe the whole airframe.





I'm almost ready to spray some paint. I got the windscreen and wheel wells masked. I used Silly Putty for the wells.







Some of you might have noticed that the intakes aren't installed yet. You can see straight through the intakes all the way to the exhausts on this one.





I haven't glued the intakes on yet because I'm trying to figure out how to solve this little problem. That and I want to paint the area of the fuselage behind the intakes before I assemble them.


Anyway, that's it for now. Thanks for looking. Your questions and comments are welcome, so feel free to drop your two cents in the bucket.




Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

OK ARC, I'm back with some progress...


When I left you last, I was trying to decide how to deal with the "see-through" fuselage. I settled on some intake and exhaust plugs. I have a pretty limited modeling budget, and I don't even know if there are any aftermarket parts for this kit, so I decided to make my own.


First, I painted the inside of the intakes with the fuselage color. Leaving the intakes off let me paint the area of the fuselage behind the intakes as well. Once the paint had dried, I soaked some facial tissue in a glue and water mixture and stuffed it into the intakes from the back. I did the same with the exhausts, except I stuffed those from the front. Doing so gave me a good solid "fill" of the spaces.







After the glue had dried and hardened, I pressed the "forms" out of the parts and sprayed 'em with some paint. Once the paint had dried, I had some convincing intake and exhaust plugs.





I glued a scrap piece of sprue to the back of the intake to keep the plugs from falling into the fuselage. After than, I glued on the intakes and rescribed the panel detail.







Now that the intakes are installed, all I have to do is plop in a little blob of Silly Putty to mask the plugs while I paint the rest of the fuselage.







I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out


I'll be back with more progress later this week.






Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ARC,


A week off from work and spent at my bench resulted in some good progress on my Tiger.


I was able to get the airframe painted and glossed, and even started the decals. During the build process, I had to sand off the raised rivet detail on the tail. In an effort to restore it, I tried out some Archer rivets. They look pretty good, and I'm sure under some paint they'll look fine. The only problem is they're pretty delicate, and I've lost a few here and there during handling. I'll see how I can fix that.






Anyway, I'm waiting for the decals to dry. Everything will get a another shot of gloss before I turn my attention to the exhaust area. The heavy lifting's done on this build. I'm confident that it'll be done before the deadline.




Thanks for looking! Questions, comments, and criticisms welcomed.



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

OK ARC, I'm sticking a fork in this one. There were a few minor hiccups along the way, but I got it finished. It's not my best work, but it's a solid 3 footer and looks good on the shelf. Focus will now switch to my Panther and its difficult markings and (gloss) finish. 


Anyway, here are some pictures of my second for the year. Enjoy!























And the glory shot...




Comments, questions, and criticisms welcome. 


Thanks for looking!


Happy holidays,





Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...