MiG-21F-13 Modelsvit 72nd scale

Here are the rest of the sprues and some other bits and pieces.

The ordnance sprue was of course modified to include the primary weapon of the MiG-21 F-13 the K-13 air to air missile.

SPfwgmy.jpg

Sprue Y with parts for the SK ejection seat

dt0IwOG.jpg

Additional  small parts, like intakes, antennas, pitot . . .

ZX7nUPd.jpg

The clear sprue with two versions of the canopy, open and closed.

Rt4ImSY.jpg

4YBcxFB.jpg

As usual here is the “reading test”.

FhVwSvx.jpg

A small photoetch fret has the very small items. For example one has a choice of a photoetch wing fence while there is one in plastic too. Some like this, some like the other. I know that a lot of people simply dont like to work with photoetch. 

ChuzJqm.jpg

The decal sheet, five markings versions, close to full selection of stencils (in right colour!!), two instrument panels . . .

oCtFPnn.jpg

More tomorrow

Any questions, anything that you would like to see closer?

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Hi Gábor,

Thank you for sharing the photos. The kit looks very nice in the box.

My only question is the area behind the cockpit that is full of control rods and yellow fuel lines, and those make this section very “busy”. 

As I could see, in the kit this area builds up from several pieces ( base with the control rods molded on and several separate fuel lines) and make it more or less authentic, will look good under the transparent part. 

Please do not wait too long to start the kit, I am curious about your opinion.

Cheers,

Pali

Hello Gabor,

My thanks also for your time and effort to give us such a comprehensive look inside the box; I'm even more keen to get my own hands on one now.

cheers,

Andrew.

13 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Where did they get the idea that the Finnish roundel is shocking sky blue?

Hi Sleepy,

I have no idea, you should ask them. Of course colour reproduction on photos could not represent the actual colour on the decal. 

Best regards

Gabor

The kit includes a 12 page quality printed colour instruction booklet, giving

*  a short history of the aircraft,

*  colours to be used,

*  sprue breakdown,

*  building sequence

*  and the five painting schemes.

The build sequence instructions are very comprehensive giving colours even to the small parts.

MObbbsz.jpg

awNmwPC.jpg

The decal sheet is 9 x 17 cm and is perfectly printed, I could not see any register problems. Two instrument panel decals are provided so I ques one can make both plastic panels and decide which looks better, the one with flat surface or the one with instruments nicely shown as a relief. The side panels are also provided with decal instruments and switches on them. The big black markings like the aircraft numbers for the Czech, the Finnish and the Syrian are provided with a spare one in case something goes wrong.   

POu5P3I.jpg

FXaT0DL.jpg

True to the era the stencils are in blue and include the numerous aircraft factory numbers that one finds all over on the real aircraft.

vzU9yJ4.jpg

Here are some close up images of different sprues. Everyone can make up their mind if they like it or not.

dmvcSkX.jpg

cnTWCQX.jpg

3sbHWqH.jpg

d7JufUl.jpg 

Any questions?

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor

I am constantly amazed at the level of detail being put into 1/72 scale kits these days. This one is another fine example. I am tempted by these fine kits, but afraid that my fumbling old fingers would find the challenge of the small parts too difficult. It would certainly solve my problem with lack of display space to move to 1/72. :hmmm:

21 minutes ago, Mstor said:

. . .  I am tempted by these fine kits, but afraid that my fumbling old fingers would find the challenge of the small parts too difficult.  .  .

Hi Mstor,

This I took just for you 10 minutes ago in response to your post. Yes the size is a problem, but here is one solution.  :coolio:    :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:  :))))

sZ85OCQ.jpg

Have to admit I need them too, would not be able to do most of the things I want without them.

Some are around 40 years old and still perfect, OK it is a Swiss made  . . .

Best regards

Gabor

Great breakdown Gabor, MV just seem to improve with every kit, the details are certainly more refined than with the earlier kits, (particularly noticeable with the instrument panel here). I'm sure new moulding techniques have helped a great deal. 

Ha, I think I have about the same amount of tweezers. I bought some Dspiae products at the MK show at the weekend including tweezers and single blade nippers, not cheap but superb quality. Add to that the now necessary reading glasses and headband magnifier and you know you're getting old!

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Mstor,

This I took just for you 10 minutes ago in response to your post. Yes the size is a problem, but here is one solution.  :coolio:    :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:  :))))

sZ85OCQ.jpg

Have to admit I need them too, would not be able to do most of the things I want without them.

Some are around 40 years old and still perfect, OK it is a Swiss made  . . .

Best regards

Gabor

:clap2: Hey Gabor,

I got about that many tweezers, not all of that quality though. Problem is, even a tweezer won't help if the hand that holds it is shaky. :dontknow:

Cheers,

Mark (mstor)

10 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

...Here are some close up images of different sprues. Everyone can make up their mind if they like it or not.

Oh, I like. I like very much.

Thanks again for sharing these images; it's greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for dropping in and having a look. Glad you like it. All I do is open the box and take few photos to share . . .

As far as I know the Modelsvit distributor should start shipping the kit to retailers this week. 

Best regards

Gabor

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:58 PM, ya-gabor said:

Just before the MiG-21 here are some or most of the hostages that I took from Moson. First the kits.

Modelsvit kindly presented me with that sample boxing of the new Fishbed. Thanks! I was very much looking forward to that Mirage III kit. This was the time to buy it! Had a look inside the box and it is fantastic, I am sure that a natural metal version will be built from it to show off that beautiful surface!

A very interesting kit that I have seen on some forums was on sale and there was no way that I am going to come away without it. The aftermarket company ACE has made a full injection moulded model of the Ka-25 PS in 72 nd scale. I have been looking for this helicopter ever since Airfix had it made, was it 40 or 50 years ago.

Missing till now from the stash was a selection of Zvezda kits including several Mi-24 versions and the two seater Su-27UB. It will be fun to do it and put it next to the SM kit. Thanks Andrey!

Of course there are some bits and pieces also. Some Begemote decals, what else to go with the Zvezda kits. That fantastic MG-42 gun from the Polish Master. Anyone who has visited their stand knows what I am talking about! Some Cold War Studios MiG-25 parts will come in very handy for the ICM kit.

I bought two interesting photo etchings. One is from a Kiev based A2 company. It is a detail set for 72 nd MiG-29 kit, the 9-13 versions but having had a closer look at it, most of the parts if not all are perfect for a 9-12 version too. So just in case I have 2 of the sets.

Another set of interest was from A.M.U.R and it is for 48 th scale Su-27’s with all the gills and intake boundary layer vents. What is interesting about it is that it is made from 0.05mm steel and not the standard 0.2 brass as used by all makers. This results in a paper thin product which if placed on top of the kit surface, perfectly blends in without sticking out for miles like other 0.2mm brass products.

As a prelude to the MiG-21 I had to buy the Second edition of the WWP MiG-21 In Detail book. It is designed for those who missed the first edition a decade or so ago. It is slightly shorter, but mainly because the photos have been rearranged for a better coverage. Some were left out and a lot of new stuff included, like perfect quality period photos of some schemes. The 2 nd edition is, I would say more modeller friendly, there are several drawings explaining the differences between Moscow and Gorkiy produced aircraft with more and far better detail than Edu ever did.

EpEyg4R.jpg

Now next up will be a box opening of that new MiG-21F-13

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor

Many thanks for all this infos. Especially for the ones on the book. Ordered and paid for it today, Waiting now patiently for delivery !

Madcop, aka De Vilbiss !

34 minutes ago, madcop said:

Hi Gabor

Many thanks for all this infos. Especially for the ones on the book. Ordered and paid for it today, Waiting now patiently for delivery !

Madcop, aka De Vilbiss !

Hi Madcop,

Its good to see you on this side of the pond. Sorry I did not have a contact to you due to my life-long ban overthere, but was hoping that you too will see this post.

As my friend Martin Janousek has said it is difficult to choose between the old and the new WWP book. Now they are both on my bookshelf side by side. Both are excellent and both are different but serve exactly the purpose of showing in detail the 21MF and UM. What is also important that this one is available!!! and I feel it is more modeller friendly.

I have spoken to the owner/editor and he dusted off and updated the old book not only in terms of photos and information but also technically for printing. It is up-to-date in all respects. Mind you it was expensive but of course it all depends on a point of view.

Hope you get it soon and have fun with it.

P.s. The airbrush is working full time and is perfect.  :)))  Hope the same for yours.

Best regards

Gabor

Here is a bit more on this Modelsvit MiG-21F-13 in 72 nd scale.

Some undercarriage bay details, main walls, side walls and wheel details.

0fbu6Xw.jpg

vvAaEMj.jpg

eUIJCV7.jpg

OnDnSz3.jpg

3R7KoXg.jpg

The weapons sprue has the Sidewinder copy K-13 AAM with the launch rail that goes with it. Although everyone considers the MiG-21F-13 as a point defence interceptor / fighter from the very start it also had limited air to ground capability. Nicely detailed bombs are included in the kit. One could of course also fit a UB-16 unguided missile launcher pod as well. It is not included in the kit but from the spare box or from aftermarket manufacturers it would not be a problem. An interesting thing about the UB pod on early F-13 it was fitted with missiles which were not against ground targets but could be used in aerial combat against enemy bomber formations.

YZDwVkM.jpg

BdQRdgL.jpg 

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor  

First I have to answer a question from Pál. It was about the area behind the cockpit. Here you have a selection of push-roads for the control surfaces and also many yellow fuel lines. It is all under a plexi glass cover so all the details are visible and provide that little bit of extra detail which adds to the overall authenticity of the kit.

In the new Modelsvit MiG-21F-13 this area is well detailed.

Here is the instruction sheet

zSn6T9C.jpg

Parts are very small!!! Painting these fine details could be a challenge but if you are building a Czech license manufactured version of the F-13 then you are lucky since they had this area covered by metal.

Kx49i6X.jpg

GZRtfQl.jpg

HCefKeO.jpg

Of course I was interested to see what the kits ejection seat looks like. OK there is a small mistake here. The seats official name is SK and not the one shown on the sprue frame. The wrong name comes from half information’s and wrong interpretation of available data by Western “experts” back in late 60’s.

nIngcKA.jpg

The instruction sheet about the ejection seat.

dgtik6o.jpg

Here are the seats plastic parts glued together.  The seat is shown in the kit with the parachute pack in the seat pan with the associated harness and back also shown. There are some more etched metal parts to go onto it including the straps. Later I will add them too to be followed by some paint.

WfxW2nz.jpg

XNxZJv2.jpg

For size here is a euro cent next to the seat.

wOQaXX6.jpg

Another “Wester experts” myth is that the overhead metal plate was to “safe / arm” the seat. Pure rubbish! It is a simple metal plate, operated by a spring and is designed to protect the head of the pilot. Nothing more! It is in upright position on the ground with canopy open. Before the canopy is closed the pilot gets hold of it and pulls it down over his head. The plate is against the canopies plexi glass. To protect the canopy against scratches the very top part of the plate is covered with a strip of felt. Sometime it extends over to the underside and protects the pilot helmet too. At the point of contact the canopy has a brownish colour patch. This will have to be added as it is missing from the decal sheet. Actually no one (kit or decal maker) ever made it or payed attention to it.     

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gábor,

Many thanks for sharing the photos of my “favourite area” behind the cockpit. It seems the guys at Modelsvit have done a good job and taken care of the details. I like the result a lot...

Also I think the ejection seat is very nicely detailed, may be the best that can be made by molding in such a small scale, although I leave it to your expertiism if it really well replicates the original thing.

In the meantime I am trying to order my sample from ebay, I know it will not be a disappointment.

Cheers,

Pali

Now for something completely different. Something great happened last night!

The Great Gig In . . .

not in the sky but this time here in Aquincum, in Budapest!

A small Hungarian group of musicians play Pink Floyd in their spare time, it is a so called tribute band. They have been doing it for 20 years and now at last a dream came true for the band Keep Floyding. Last night they played a gig in the ancient roman amphitheatre not far from where I live in North of Budapest. One has to know that Hungary (Pannonia to Romans) was part of the Roman Empire and there was a bustling city (50-60 thousand) named Aquincum. It had at least two amphitheatre of which only the ruins remain but the Northern one provided a perfect stage for the band this time. Keep Floyding plays the songs in professional way, but there are other bands around the world doing the same.

So what differentiates KF is that they add some great ideas to the shows. For instance in 2014 together with a Symphonic orchestra they played Atom Heart Mother as a one-off show. For 20 years they dreamed of reproducing the 1971 Live at Pompeii in an authentic surrounding, a real roman setting, one which was once used for gruesome “plays” by Aquincum citizens. It all became true this week.  

The one thousand tickets were sold out in no time. Unfortunately they only had permission to get 1000 into the place. The area is fairly open so there were at least 1200 viewers to witness the show, enthusiastic fans without tickets even watching from outside of the low theatre walls.

ym3VaeR.jpg 

In the afternoon I passed by and had a look what will be in store. Sound check was in progress with the band. 

4oaj750.jpg

With long days of heavy rain during the week there was a big question mark if the weather is going to play. A stage roof was erected but by Friday afternoon it was clear that there will be no need for it so even the stage looked similar puritan to the one used by Floyd all those 48 years ago at Pompeii.

The show started early at 19.20 with sun still shining, they “Just” played the original music song by song, note for note. Theatrically of course the sun went down to the notes of “Set the controls for the heart of the sun”.  

b4N73IS.jpg

Unfortunately there are songs which one is not able to reproduce for obvious reasons, Mademoiselle Nobbs is one of them! So this one was missing from the set.

I know David Gilmour played the Pompeii stage few years ago but it was a mix of his own songs and Pink Floyd stuff. I don’t know if anyone ever played the full set of what the band did back in 1971. This was a great chance to see it, hear it and relive the experience that audience would have had if allowed back in 1971. I was not going to miss it! Great performance!

In the second part of the show as an extra it was obvious that Dark Side of the Moon will be played as a continuation from the Live at Pompeii.  For “Great Gig in the Sky” I know that it is very difficult to follow in the steps of Clair Torry, and yes I heard Ola Bienkowska sing it too with another tribute band. Have to say that the perfect singing by Zsuzsa Garda was equal with them. WOW, she was good!!!  

Uy3p5Nt.jpg

Encore was Comfortably Numb and Run. . . from The Wall closing the two hour show.

There is a debate on what Tribute bands do. I believe that Keep Floyding and others simply play some great music which is no longer accessible live for today’s audiences from the original bands. (Would love to go and see this show live with Pink Floyd, I think there would be "few" others to do so . . .)

After all do you call the London or Vienna Symphonic orchestra a Tribute band??? They do the same: play great Mozart and Bach today, it’s the music that counts! Keep Floyding and others play great music (by now “classic music”) in a similar way today giving a chance to celebrate live music to audiences.  

The bands moto is: We play Pink Floyd, and boy - we enjoy it! was perfectly shown on stage last night, with a happy 1000+ audience leaving the venue!

I did take some photos of the show, but it’s the music that counts, and it was great! :worship:

The show by Keep Floyding was a start for the traditional Floralia weekend at Aquincum museum (few hundred meters from the amphitheatre), a reincarnation of a Roman celebration of spring with varied programs for the whole family.

OK so let’s get back to that MiG . . .

Best regards

Gabor

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a complete off topic for you of a different kind.

On Modelsvit’s fakebook page there are photos of the recent Kyiv Scale Modellers Battle 2019

show with some interesting images of things to come. Of course the big An-225, and it has a size! The M-55 and the new 48 Bf 109C / D. Having seen them in person at Moson I can only say that they look fantastic.

https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/?ref=py_c

dKSBAKR.jpg

tgihNKH.jpg

That “little” Messer is not my thing at all but it did look sensational with some very innovative features.

tYN4qRV.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

• 5 months later...

The rebirth / re-release of the Modelsvit MiG-21F-13 this time in foreign and “aggressor” colours. Yes, it is that famous airframe which made it all the way to the secret Nevada base to fly as aggressor and is still in existence today in an Israeli museum. 

qHYULYW.jpg

The offered paint schemes trace the history of this airframe from the start to the very end.

KGhjd0F.jpg

I am very tempted to get this one even though I have both the previous releases of this kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor