How did serious modelers handle raised panel lines in those days?

To comment on what Darren and Mstor said, I am quickly finding as I get older with less time, less space, and potentially decreasing income (or at least a fixed income before accounting for inflation), that I am returning to 1/144 scale, not just for large aircraft like bombers and airlines, but now fighters and helos, something I spurned in this scale during my youth.  I am slowly liquidating my 1/48 & 1/72 scale kits, decals and accessories and beginning to find a little more enjoyment in just doing the simple gluing, masking canopies and wheels, but mostly getting back to the basics, then using quick dry spray cans for painting and applying kit decals in many cases.  I can usually get a kit done in a weekend which is a big motivator, unlike some of the 1/48 or larger 1/72 scale kits, some of which have been lingering for 20+ years.  This hobby is for my enjoyment. I really don't want to become a slave to it.

I remember the old Jo-Han kits (I believe that was the manufacturer) that had the recessed panel lines which could only be referred to as "trenches". Scaled up they would have been about 6" wide and deep!

Jo-Han did mostly cars but they did a few aircraft also.

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

21 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Do any of you guys remember when kits didnt have recessed panel lines?

When all kits had raised panel lines...

I do not know when that time was, I started building in the mid 1970s, at some point I had two of the 1/32 Matchbox kits the 109 and the Dauntless both had huge recessed panel lines.  Crude recessed panel lines were the exception though of course.  My best memory though of airplane kits from the 1970s though is the monogram series of 1/72 kits as I recall those were quite good but do not remember I assume they had raised panel lines.    

YES! And a time before the drafting pencil panel lines craze which seemed extremely silly to me, but that's me. However I do remember national insignias being raised panel lines which were totally rediculous, ruined the looks of my old Deuce!

Well, as a serious modeler...

😂

But seriously, raised panel lines have never been an issue to me. I'd weather or enhance them by lightly sanding them to expose them through the paint, or with post shading, masking with "Post-It" notes.

I definitely never look at them as a hinderance to building a particular subject. Monogram's Century Series of kits is still the best renditions of those subjects.

I didn't care as a kid - I found joy in building models raised panels or not.   I blame the internet for the loss of my innocence with all those model reviews, forums like these that discussed about panel lines and made me see the truth that I now can't unsee, lol.   Now I aim to rescribe and it has only made my life miserable : )

3 hours ago, jonwinn said:

YES! And a time before the drafting pencil panel lines craze which seemed extremely silly to me, but that's me. However I do remember national insignias being raised panel lines which were totally rediculous, ruined the looks of my old Deuce!

I remember them doing that!!!

They have become a lot more subtle and realistic over the years of course, but I never understood full on black lining panel lines either.

What kit is that from? Ii dont know that one.

2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

I didn't care as a kid - I found joy in building models raised panels or not.   I blame the internet for the loss of my innocence with all those model reviews, forums like these that discussed about panel lines and made me see the truth that I now can't unsee, lol.   Now I aim to rescribe and it has only made my life miserable : )

Yes I fully agree. I chased the perfect for years too. Never quite got there myself.

Now I quite like the subtle weathering, but there are so many more products to do it with now of course.

41 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Yes I fully agree. I chased the perfect for years too. Never quite got there myself.

Now I quite like the subtle weathering, but there are so many more products to do it with now of course.

Revell 1/78 Convair F-102A. First released in 1956, my first model but NOT built by me, built in 1959 by my father, I was 6 years old and he built it at the dining room table as I ran back and forth to the living room to watch Steve Canyon on our B&W TV. Anyone here remember black and white TV?

F102A.jpg

Edited by jonwinn

Raised panel lines never really bothered me, most of the frustration I experience was trying to replace the lost raised line with stretched sprue in the areas that I had to sand away the panel line. When I build an old Revel or Monogram kit, I don't rescribe the model, I just build it and use the stretch sprue technic to fix the lost detail. And yes, I like the preshading of the panel lines over highligting the panel lines at the end. 

• 1 year later...