Planning ahead for a diorama with a Cessna floatplane, probably something like a Cessna 172.

I've found options in 1/48, but are there any bigger ones, say 1/32 or similar?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Monogram's Cessna 180 was in 1/41; that's larger than 1/48, and it was available in a floatplane version.  But I'm not aware of any larger-scale Cessna singles other than the Roden O-1 (I think Roden did it, at least) in 1/32.  With some modeling skills applied, you can make that into a Cessna 170 with a bit of effort.  Floats can be found in either a Revell Piper Super Cub or the Matchbox Tiger Moth, but I'm not sure how they would work out size-wise on a 4-place Cessna.   

Well....there IS the Mauri / Tilt Models 1/36 scale 172 (wheels or floats).  I think you'll have a better chance at winning the lottery than finding one.

Then there's the Monogram Cessna 180 in 1/41 scale .  😉

Of course if you can get off the Cessna kick, there is a 1/24 scale DHC-2 Beaver.  Do a google search as several have been incorporated into diorama's.

Everything else seems to be 1/48, 1/72 or 1/144.

I look forward to watching your progress.

C2j

Much appreciated!

The hope is to create a diorama scene from one of my favorite TV shows, which featured a Cessna floatplane of some kind (not sure the exact subtype), so if I do this I can't go other plane routes.  Normally I'm a 1/72 jet guy, but in this case I know even a 1/48 job would be slightly small for the extreme detailing/scratchbuilding I'm hoping to do.

2 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

you can always get the Guillows balsa kit. It was a pretty large model!

Sean

Yeah, I saw those! Except they'd be 'way too big for a diorama, at least for the place I live in....amazing to think, though....😎

Ok, here's what I'm considering doing a diorama of, Buzz Sherwood's second plane from the Red Green Show.  I used to fly 172's, and judging by the cabin rear, it doesn't seem to be a 172.  

Assuming I'd have to go with 1/48, what would best simulate the type shown here?  

Apologies for the poor quality pics, just snapped them from the TV screen....

mDwXpz3.jpg

n6jVuoM.jpg

3a8U5nb.jpg

cjH5i1U.jpg

I'm guessing the Monogram 1/41-ish Cessna 180 is my best option then.  Being long out of production, any suggestions on a source for one, other than The 'Bay?

I'm asking because at the moment I could get one for $35 including shipping, but no idea what would be considered a decent price today.

....well, yes, but what I meant was, usually there is a general price range one might expect to find a particular kit for, and in this case I wouldn't know a steal of a deal from one I should pass on and wait for another.

When there's a limited supply of something, it's hard to figure out if it's over-or-under-or-just-right priced.  And with a supply of one - - - how bad does the searcher want the item?   

Years ago I had a 1/48 Lindberg plastic model kit of a Stinson 108,  a very basic and generally crude model of a dozen parts, and someone was looking for one.  We communicated, and the fellow who wanted it offered me an even swap for a very desirable control-line stunt engine, at the time one with a street value of fifty bucks.  I questioned the offer, mentioning that it seemed very imbalanced, me getting by far the best of it, and he said, no, he'd always wanted the model and there were none to be found, and he was happy to make the swap, and we did. I'd seen his shout-out looking for the model and I answered whatcha got to swap, and that's what happened.  I wasn't looking to sell, but I could help someone fulfill a long-nurtured hope.   Stuff happens in funny ways sometimes. 

Edited by peter havriluk
text correction

I'm a Cessna nerd, so allow me a brief history lesson: 

In 1960, the 172A  got a swept tail.

The 172 did not have a back window (Cessna called it their "Omni Vision" cabin) until 1963, so it looked like a 180 for its first few years.

Despite their outward similarities, the 172 and 180 were different airplanes with different fuselage structures. The 172 had a lighter structure.

In 1964, the 180 began to share the same fuselage with the larger engined 185 but it kept the smaller Dorsal fin.

And if you're still awake: the 172 started life as a 170 with a nosewheel...but unlike the 170, it had a square tail (the 170 had a round tail like the L-19/O-1).  The 170 was dropped from production after 1956.

The 182 was a 180 with a nosewheel, but the 180 never got the back window (which the 182 received in 1962).

So to build the Red/Green ship illustrated,  use the Monogram 180 on floats. It was reproduced not all that long ago, so there should be some out there.

If you can only find the wheeled 180 kit, buy the 172 ESCI/ERTL or newer Minicraft  kit with floats and use those...they'll be the correct size (minus the slight scale difference).

Edited by JohnEB
Add details
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is a 182.

Specifically, a '56 to '59 model because it has a straight tail. 1960 and '61 models had the same fuselage but with a swept tail. In '62, it gained the back window.

All 182s have nose wheels (unless they are in floats 🙂 or have been modified. I don't know of an approved tail dragger mod for the 182, but never say never).

All 180/185s are tail draggers (unless they are on floats).

Great photo of a ship in the same scheme...but different colors...as the Monogram model. Back then, Cessna changed its paint schemes pretty much annually, so you can judge the approximate year of the aircraft if you know what to look for.

Edited by JohnEB
  • 2 weeks later...

JohnEB's on the money.

170/172s and 180/182s can be a muddy mess unless you're a bit of an anorak.

As the stock of tailwheel'd examples has dried up, there are plenty of mods that can be done (it's a fairly easy conversion) to turn nose-wheeled examples into taildraggers, both 172s and 182s.

AndrewD, the Monogram kit is what youre after, if you can't find an original issue with floats for a decent price, i believe KeeKah (spelling) might do correct floats for the purpose.

Denzil