CD48198 - 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt - The Early Years

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2023 at 4:15 PM, Norm DUbay said:

The early Tamiya A-10a kit is based off the pre-production A-10s plus first four A-10s serial numbers 75-258 thru 75-262 I believe.  The kit has the longer flap tracks that extend past the trailing edge of the wings.  The kit has Escapac ejection seat and lacks the chaff pods under the wings and sponsons.  It also has the 30mm cannon not the 20 mm cannon.  To do a prototype 11369 and 11370 you will need to do a lot of mods.  The tails, profile of the nose, wheel sponsons, fuselage panels and scoops, shortening the wings, and adding the 20 mm gun will be required.  If you want to do a really early prototype you will also need to remove the wing fillets to fuselage.  I think the inboard slates will need attention as well.

Something like this 😄

Removed the wing fillets, reshaped the nose (have reshaped it more since), reshaped the tail fins, removed the strakes under the fuselage in front of the wings, glued the inboard slats closed, shortened the wings, glued the ladder door closed and filled and sanded it, this was before I shortened the pylon fairings for the engine, and the Aires wheel sponsons have since been removed and I'll CAD some new ones. Lots to do, but now I have the Caracal decal sheet in hand

394394163_835098371952540_5462333186460702999_n.jpg

Edited by CraigSargent

What's up with the projecting sphincter? Also looks like the empennage is 6 feet farther than currently deployed hogs as they don't sit underneath the engine exhaust nozzles.

Edited by utley

The rear of the engine pylon to fuselage fairings on the YA-10 was squared off, not tapered like current ones so may be throwing off the relationship perception a little.

Solid red lines show pylon rear end. Dashed red lines are approximately where production fairing goes.

Image8.jpg

Edited by CraigSargent

No, viewing straight under you wouldn't see exhaust pipes IIRC. designed that way to prevent manpads from tracking heat signatures from certain angles. They're definitely further aft than normal. And yeah, that piece just aft of the drain facing forward kinda looks like a stinger.

• 1 month later...

Kursad -

Quick question:   Is the tail number "11370" on the sheet?  I see 11369, so maybe I'm just missing something.  Also hope the 1/72 sheet will have both prototype tail numbers.  Thanks -- the sheet looks great!

2 hours ago, arg said:

Kursad -

Quick question:   Is the tail number "11370" on the sheet?  I see 11369, so maybe I'm just missing something.  Also hope the 1/72 sheet will have both prototype tail numbers.  Thanks -- the sheet looks great!

It's not on the images Kursad posted on page 2 of this thread, but I have the decals before me. On the black colour sheet, there are two "70"s. You have to cut the last two digits from the "11369" and replace them with the 70s.