As was posted above, names like FLANKER, FENCER etc are not NATO names. They are decided by the FVEYs. J-20 isn't FIREFANG, that seems to be a product of whoever runs the SINODEFENCE forum and I'm pretty sure he counts for squat in this process. J-20 is FAGIN, the receiver of stolen goods. Has been for at least 18 months. Mighty Dragon is probably a domestic nickname. Looking forward to the model. 😀

On 8/19/2023 at 7:08 PM, flanker27 said:

Just FYI in case someone is interested, there is a two seater J-20 model by Dream model in 1/72 scale

Really? Is there a link available or even images????

PS: Just found: Chinese J-20S 'Mighty Dragon', DreamModel DM720023 (2023) (scalemates.com)

Boxart Chinese J-20S 'Mighty Dragon' DM720023 DreamModel

On 8/20/2023 at 5:19 AM, DET1460 said:

NATO names as stated above...

Two syllable names- Jet power. Single syllable names= props.

Thought this might help.

DET1460

From my understanding, the J-20 has not received an official NATO/ASCC name but most often the name "Firefang" is mentioned

Edited by Deino
  • 1 month later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:18 AM, flanker27 said:

Just ordered mine off ebay and receive notice its shipped. Should arrive in couple of months 😁

Just to clarify, the kit you are referring to as ordered is the 1/72 Dream Model J-20, correct?  NOT the 1/48 Meng J-20, right?

4 hours ago, flanker27 said:

Its the Meng 1/48 J-20. Its on ebay already

Wow, really?  Very cool.  All I’ve seen on EBay seem to be references to future availability.  

Tamiya's F-4 and F-35 also have multiple pieces though, the fit was fine, I think the Meng's could be almost the same. The WS need a little bit detail in my opinion, the ladder is included, very basic and I think that I use to print the engine and ladder for this build. The other trouble with the ladder is a small error on the steps, the distances are not equal, by cutting the pieces and repositioning them two ministers towards the last step at the bottom and the problem would be solved.

001.png

002.png

J-20-LADDER-01.jpg

J-20-LADDER-02.png

J-20-LADDER-04.png

IMG_2148.JPG

J-20-LADDER-03.png

5 minutes ago, salomon said:

No offense, you better use the in box Meng model, it wasn't bad at all, because the plastic process don't allow tiny detail but the WS engine is ok.

You have to. The Fab Scale exhausts have much better detail, but is way too big in diameter for the Meng kit

On 10/17/2023 at 11:23 PM, flanker27 said:

Received mine last Friday, from order to delivery about 10 days.

Does this guy take good care of the packaging? Did your kits' boxes come in excellent conditions, if not perfect, and not full of big dents and creases?

Just received. Very reminiscent of Hasegawa F-22 as I thought. Raised RAM details, inner parts engineering, and layout of parts are all great. Exhaust breakdown is similar to Great Wall Hobby Su-27/35 series with multiple parts which can work but doesn't for me 🙂 

Overall, I am pleased, should be a fun built.

Hopefully aftermarket will come up with a nice exhaust and external pylons / missiles / fuel tanks etc.