1/48 F6F - Which Kit is Preferred - Eduard or Hobby Boss?

Howdy everyone. Any opinions on which 48th Hellcat is a better kit - Eduard or Hobby Boss?

I had just completed the decal phase of my Hasegawa F6F-3 when I discovered I'd misplaced the main landing gear struts. I've posted a "LF spares" in the classifieds, to no avail, and have resigned to the inevitable that those struts are simply GONE. (They were on small alligator clips, having been trimmed and painted.)

Thank you all for your time.

660589798_20230426_1336131.jpg

Edited by MA Cooke

Eduard by a LONG ways! The Hobby Boss kit is largely copied from the Trumpeter 1/32 scale model, complete with the serious shape and dimensional errors. Hobby Boss is not worth it if you're looking for a decent 1/48 Hellcat.

On another note, I don't get on ARC frequently these days so I didn't see your post but let me take a look- I might have a spare set of Hasegawa landing gear. 

15 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

Eduard by a LONG ways! The Hobby Boss kit is largely copied from the Trumpeter 1/32 scale model, complete with the serious shape and dimensional errors. Hobby Boss is not worth it if you're looking for a decent 1/48 Hellcat.

On another note, I don't get on ARC frequently these days so I didn't see your post but let me take a look- I might have a spare set of Hasegawa landing gear. 

That would be awesome, thank you!

And thanks for the input on kit selection.

15 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

What is the difference between "weekend" and "profi-pack?"

34 minutes ago, MA Cooke said:

What is the difference between "weekend" and "profi-pack?"

The presence or not of resin, PE, and/or canopy masks, as well as the number of marking options included.

If you can't source any Hasegawa gear legs, Eduard has a brass set of replacement legs for their kit. You may be able to use them on the Hasegawa, or even look to see if SAC has produced any white metal replacements which would be a direct copy of the Hasegawa gear.

Best to steer clear of the PLA Chi-Com kits as they are usually poorly designed and or engineered.

Eduard or even Hasegawa will be your best options.

Beautiful paint work on your current Hasegawa F6F! 

Mr. Happy

1 hour ago, Mr.Happy said:

Best to steer clear of the PLA Chi-Com kits as they are usually poorly designed and or engineered.

Eduard or even Hasegawa will be your best options.

Beautiful paint work on your current Hasegawa F6F! 

Mr. Happy

Thank you, sir.

3 hours ago, skyhawk524 said:

If you can't source any Hasegawa gear legs, Eduard has a brass set of replacement legs for their kit. You may be able to use them on the Hasegawa, or even look to see if SAC has produced any white metal replacements which would be a direct copy of the Hasegawa gear.

I've checked SAC, they only have gear for the Eduard and HB kits.

To MA Cooke: I've not built the Hasegawa or Hobby Boss 1/48 F6F kits, but I HAVE built the Eduard version.  I can't speak to accuracy, but the Eduard build is very nice, fit and  finish is really great...definitely recommended from that perspective.  Nice paintwork on your model, by the way!

14 hours ago, Curt B said:

To MA Cooke: I've not built the Hasegawa or Hobby Boss 1/48 F6F kits, but I HAVE built the Eduard version.  I can't speak to accuracy, but the Eduard build is very nice, fit and  finish is really great...definitely recommended from that perspective.  Nice paintwork on your model, by the way!

The Eduard kit is also my F6F of choice, but I'd characterize the fit as good with a couple of trouble spots, notably the two-piece engine cowling and the main gear struts which really need to be shortened by a couple of mm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 10:44 PM, Chriss7607 said:

I did some digging and found that I DO have a complete set of Hasegawa Hellcat main landing gear if you're interested.

Yes, I am. Would you mind emailing me, please? macookefoto@gmail.com

On 6/15/2023 at 10:44 PM, Chriss7607 said:

I did some digging and found that I DO have a complete set of Hasegawa Hellcat main landing gear if you're interested.

Or you can PM me here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/15/2023 at 8:48 PM, Buckmeister said:

The old Otaki/Arii F6F is far superior to the Hobby Boss mess.  Pretty simple and without a ton of detail, but it captures the look of the Hellcat much better than the Chinese ever did.

Amen